Milner [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm I think he'd be a good signing, but we're bound to get ripped off. Not so sure I'd like to see Ireland going there. Trying to think where Bobby will play him, CM?

--------------Given----------------
-Boateng--Kompany--Lescott---Kolarov-
---------Yaya-----Milner----------
-Johnson----------------Silva------
----------Tevez------------------
------------Adebayor-------------

Probably not balanced enough in midfield and I'd like to see De Jong in there personally.

I'd quite like

--------------Given----------------
-Boateng--Kompany--Lescott---Kolarov-
-------------De Jong---------------
-------Yaya-----------Milner-------
-Johnson--------------------Silva---
--------------Tevez---------------

Rotation will be key I guess!

10.Goater_Legend said:
Chick Counterfly said:
fwiw I reckon Milner's best season wasn't as good as Ireland's, but he's clearly got several very good campaigns under his belt now.

The real story isn't in the figures. it's that Milner started off as a slightly tricky winger with good delivery, and has added flexibility, immense staying power and real hard work to his game. Personally, I really like his courage and intelligence, he has strong willpower and knows how to help his team-mates through difficult periods.

Ireland rapidly began to add more to his game last year, what hurt was that it all stopped just as quickly. If I'm upset with him it's only because I not only believed in his talent, but I thought he was going to be a poster-boy for the self-help crew, the man who took himself by the scruff of the neck, demanded more, and in the process became an awesome all round midfielder. We'll probably never know now, he will go to Villa, go back to being a good, but not great, play maker. It's his career, his life, he's free to become whatever he wants, if that's the career he's always dreamed of, good luck to him.

There are very few number 10 central playmakers in the modern game. It's more common for them to fill wide positions, or to play from deeper. That goes for players as talented as Iniesta, Xavi. To justify being picked as a classic number ten at the very top level, IMO you need to be surreally talented, in the top 0.5% of technical players. Ireland is a peg and a bit below this, he could make it at the highest level if he applied all of his faculties to the general midfield work, if he offered concentration, dilligence, stamina, flexibility and could create out wide, or influence play in his own half. My honest judgement tho is that he won't be the best in europe on the back of his touch and passing alone, it's just not that good. He might be able to make it work for a team like Villa tho, and if that's what he wants I wish him good luck.

having said all that, as much of an admirer of Milner as I am, 20m+ Ireland would be completely unacceptable. I'm pretty sure however the club will see it that way too, so don't worry about it so much.
All very interesting points mate, and i'm sure Milner given a run in our side, probably at the expense of Gareth Barry in central midfield, could be a quality player for us. Then again I also think Ireland could be just as good, if not better.

The part i've highlighted is my whole point, if we were talking £8m + Ireland or just £18m on it's on, fair enough do the deal, but what's being talked about at the moment is ridiculous.

You are basing this on the Stephen Ireland of the season before last, I take it, and not the Stephen Ireland of last year?

Tricky_Trev said:
fatbloke said:
I'd be absolutely devastated on a football level if Stevie Ireland is allowed to go, he's as good as any midfielder in the Premiership on form. If we're going to play a midfield diamond I don't see why we can't play Ireland and Milner either side of Yaya Toure, with Silva in the hole behind the two strikers. The energy, pace, athletism and class in that midfield would be incredible.
Because Yaya Toure does not tackle. He's not a ball winner. He's a ball distributer.

Our best diamond would be:

.......................Silva.......................

...........Milner................Yaya...........

.....................De Jong....................
Trust me mate, Yaya tackles, better than most at that too, he can also play at centre-half.

That's why he's one of the best in the world in his position he wins the ball and then has the ability to pick out a defence splitting pass.

glen quagmire said:
Tricky_Trev said:
What i make of that is that it's as good as done. And i for one am very, very happy. Great signing. I am not worse off financially as a direct result of this deal, so i don't give a fuck about the price. Welcome to Manchester.

-- Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:44 pm --

Barry.

Trev, won't barry get benched for big nige?
Depends on what formation we're playing. I want to see De Jong, Milner and Yaya completely dominate the midfield together. If it's a diamond, we have Silva in the hole with 2 strikers up top, meaning Johnson misses out. I we play 451/433, we play Silva/Bellamy from the left, Johnson/SWP/Balotelli (If he signs) from the right, with Tevez/Ade upfront.

Pam said:
10.Goater_Legend said:
All very interesting points mate, and i'm sure Milner given a run in our side, probably at the expense of Gareth Barry in central midfield, could be a quality player for us. Then again I also think Ireland could be just as good, if not better.

The part i've highlighted is my whole point, if we were talking £8m + Ireland or just £18m on it's on, fair enough do the deal, but what's being talked about at the moment is ridiculous.

You are basing this on the Stephen Ireland of the season before last, I take it, and not the Stephen Ireland of last year?
Yes I believe he has the ability to get back to that, I believe in his ability. Rather than just off load him because he had an average season.

Tricky_Trev said:
glen quagmire said:
Trev, won't barry get benched for big nige?
Depends on what formation we're playing. I want to see De Jong, Milner and Yaya completely dominate the midfield together. If it's a diamond, we have Silva in the hole with 2 strikers up top, meaning Johnson misses out. I we play 451/433, we play Silva/Bellamy from the left, Johnson/SWP/Balotelli (If he signs) from the right, with Tevez/Ade upfront.

Cheers mate, i have to completley agree.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Video/Match-highlights/Derby-the-extended-highlights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Video/Match-highl ... highlights</a>

4mins 8seconds in

Tricky_Trev said:
fatbloke said:
I'd be absolutely devastated on a football level if Stevie Ireland is allowed to go, he's as good as any midfielder in the Premiership on form. If we're going to play a midfield diamond I don't see why we can't play Ireland and Milner either side of Yaya Toure, with Silva in the hole behind the two strikers. The energy, pace, athletism and class in that midfield would be incredible.
Because Yaya Toure does not tackle. He's not a ball winner. He's a ball distributer.

Our best diamond would be:

.......................Silva.......................

...........Milner................Yaya...........

.....................De Jong....................
Yaya Toure can pass and tackle.

Admittedly, I'd rather see Barry go than Ireland, but his inconsistency isn't limited to just last season. Before his breakthrough season of 2008/9, he was inconsistent to the point that nobody on this forum could make their minds up about him and half the board were adament that he was complete shite. I hope last season wasn't a reversion to type.

This was taken from the Aston Villa website a minute ago, I dont know how much closer to a perfect source you could get than quotes from the manager on the official website!! Welcome to Manchester, James!!

Martin O'Neill revealed he left James Milner out of the Valencia pre-season friendly because of the possibility of his move to Manchester City being completed in the next few days.

O'Neill said there had been fresh contact between Villa and Manchester City as both clubs looked to resolve the situation concerning the England international.

He said: "We didn't play him tonight primarily because there could be something happening in terms of the transfer.

"He had a few twinges in his back anyway but that's beside the point really.

"I thought it would be the best thing to do not to play him tonight in case something develops over the weekend or Monday or Tuesday. Really that's where we stand.

"I just thought it was probably in the best interests. Obviously there's the possibility of something happening over the next few days.
Advertisement
Download Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box Today

"Until that possibility actually develops or whether it doesn't, I thought the best thing to do was just to leave him out of it tonight.

"I think there's been fresh contact. I couldn't tell you whether there's been a renewed offer.

"I think there is something in that there now, yes [getting it concluded quickly]. I agree.

"I think that's for everyone's benefit really, it's probably time to get something done if it's at all possible.

"And I think that was the aim anyway when the teams were talking. But, as we mentioned, I'm unable to furnish you with further details at this moment.

"I think losing your best players at the football club would obviously cause you a headache. That's a problem, it's a problem because you're trying to build something and something like this happens.

"It happened obviously two seasons ago with Gareth - a few seasons ago now - the two years ago when it didn't get resolved and I'm not so sure anyone wants to go down that route again."

O'Neill confirmed Nicky Shorey was undergoing a medical at the Hawthorns regarding a move to West Brom.

He continued: "Nicky has gone over there for a medical. I would have liked to have filled you in to let you know if that had progressed at this minute but I do know he was going for a medical today.

"I know some fee had been agreed but like anything else until it's all done and dusted these days you never know.

"It seemed that everything was in place at the time."

O'Neill denied stories this morning linking Emile Heskey with a move to Bristol City.

He added: "That's not true. I can definitely tell you that's not true."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.