Missing out on CL - summer transfers up in the air

What's people's opinion on our summer transfers should we miss out on the CL? Just how disruptive do people think it will be to our plans? Personally I think it will be a hinderance rather than huge problem. However I do think it means we might miss out on real stars like Pogba. I just hope we don't buy a load of average backups because if we can't attract our first choice then we need to take our chances with the current players/youth rather than make the same mistakes as in the past - the panic buys of the likes of Sinclair, Garcia, Bonys etc we really need to avoid.

Hopefully we'll be fine as we have Guardiola who can at least attract players, the first thing we need to focus on doing is selling people, then we can free up the wages to start signing people, obviously he probably wont sell everyone but there are players who look like they'll to be leaving.

Would we scale back our recruitment anyway? If we're not in the CL do we need quite as big a squad? We'll give the younger players more chances in the EL. The workload of players like Aguero and De Bruyne will fall. Would we need two senior players in every position?

If I cared about my career, I'd be asking what protection can I expect from the chairman if it turns out my manager is useless. Right now, we are governed by an absence. Disconnect. If EVER there was a time NOT to fall into the trap of thinking sacking this manager in Sept / Oct would be typical post Ricky Villa City this was it and he fell right in it. It seems we cannot escape our history. Or PR. Perhaps sacking him would have put the red money off a bit. Timing and all. Visits. Survey says X.

Anyway I expect we will win shiny objects. So its all good right.

What happens next season when we're back in it though? Do we really only want players who want to play in competitions we're 'guaranteed' to win?

Of course not, but winning will maintain the progress of this season. Any player seeing us millimetres from the one goal to get us into the CL final this season. And favourites to win Europa League next season. That will sway some players who have other options as it is not like we are a team on a par with the majority of the Europa League.

We have to try to do well in Europe and use it as another step towards a real tilt at the CL two years from now. It actually could be very helpful to make a final and win games in Europe as it is progress from this year. Give up and wimp out and we start back in the CL in 2 years (hopefully) from a lower base than we are at now in Europe. It will cost us more wasted years getting that back.

The PL is so competitive that missing out on top 4 for some big teams is going to become routine. Will never happen in most other countries where there simply are not 10 sides that can realistically expect to get into the CL. There may be 4 or 5 at best. As there once was here.

That has now changed and I think we will see teams taking Europa more seriously now as it gives them that passage back into the CL. As a top six English team will always have a good chance of doing a Liverpool this season.

I would change the rules and make both teams that make the Europa final get into CL - winner into the groups, loser into a qualifier.

I think this will up the interest and how seriously the top teams who play in Europa will take the competition.

Already many are saying we should basically play the kids. I doubt we will (though we will use it blood some of them). But if you get a CL place by just being in the final then I think that will boost the competition just as winning it already has.

Last edited:
If we don't make top 4 it will be a total disaster, especially considering the club who will replace us in the said top 4.

If United failed to male UCL this season it would have been a hammer blow to them and cost 10s millions in lost sponsorship alone, regardless of UCL money.

We have just made our rivals stronger!

If we had no Euro league and Pep had 100% focus on the Prem', personally I think that would have been good for the club short term, but meaningless games in the Euro league on a Thursday night and then all are games on Sunday....no positives
Rag

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.