Missing out on CL - summer transfers up in the air

Why do you think we've seen the last of panic buys? It's been consistent throughout Tiki's reign here. Bony 18 months ago was maybe the real last one but who knows if Delph wasn't a plan B or C purchase?
I think Pep might have some influence on who comes. He'll be totally pissed off if (when) we end in the Europa as his year 1 plan will need a massive rethink.

I think as it is we need a team who is willing to play as a team worldclass superstars don't always fit into that. We've made a top class signing in pep anyway

Just pisses me off that LvG's crappy team is getting CL rather than us.

It wouldn't be the worst thing because it lifts the pressure of having to try to win the champions league for a year. Getting top 4 means we will also have to break preseason early to play the qualifier unless everything goes our way including the Arsenal game. With the Euros taking place that gives Pep something like a couple of weeks at best to not just get his feet under the table at a new club but also to gel together a completely new group of players.

At his other clubs he walked into a group of quality players and he just tweaked things, here is going to be his biggest ever challenge. Having to take part in the Champions League too and expect to do better than a semi final potentially is a lot of pressure.

Not saying I don't want top 4 because it is extremely important but for our development over the next 3 years under Pep losing out wouldn't be the end of the world.

To be having to even think like this is a utter disgrace and the players should be embarrassed...

It's not that big a deal. We signed our best players (Yaya, Silva, Tevez) without CL. The club can adopt a line we need you to get into the CL and then help us win it which at City will be spot on.

It does mean a financial hit but we'll have made a fortune from this year's campaign, reaching the SF, to compensate.

In all this we are almost back where we were, when Mancini had half a season to rescue a CL spot l.

The biggest worry is that it will only give Pep two chances of winning the CL instead of 3.

Signings wise, i think the draw of Pep and the Europa League is a bigger draw than Pellers and the Champions League. It might mean that we have to bend over a little bit to meet player demands, but given the shite we have signed over the last 2 years, we ought to be doing that anyway. It's more of an embarrassment than a worry and it slightly takes the shine off the optimism for next season. I also don't think we will necessarily be going for marquee signings from Champions League clubs. We will be going for younger players who fit a certain criteria whilst having the necessary skill set to play in a Pep system.

It's not that big a deal. We signed our best players (Yaya, Silva, Tevez) without CL. The club can adopt a line we need you to get into the CL and then help us win it which at City will be spot on.

It does mean a financial hit but we'll have made a fortune from this year's campaign, reaching the SF, to compensate.

Whole different scenario as the FFP is in some way still here though, and we already restructured our wage system since Txiki came in. Especially Yaya and Tevez got some shocking wages, considering our (or football's in general) status back then.

But I agree with the main point; it's not that big a deal, or well, maybe if we had 5% of chance to get Pogba this summer, not it will collapse to 0, but whatever. I'm probably more worried about Gundogan's 3-5 month injury than us missing the CL... :)

And maybe it will encourage our staff to bin more players from the first team and give a chance to few youngsters, quite a lot of them deserve a shot surely (Byrne, A. Garcia, Denayer would be my favourites).

Klopp being at Liverpool and them looking likely to get into the CL through winning the EL could make a huge difference to our transfer dealings this Summer. Klopp is almost as big a draw for players to want to play for as Guardiola is and if they have CL football and we don't it could be the difference maker.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.