Models

The numbers of people doing it nowadays is probably minuscule compared to the heyday, I didn't say that people stopped doing it I remarked on its decline and it has, declined mate.

Children stopped that’s all.
Like they stopped doing everything that wasn’t linked to a mobile phone.

Loved it as a kid sitting down with my dad making an air fix model. Seen the advert for the Bismarck one, but the price is ridiculous.

My nephew got this Lego Technic Bugatti for Christmas. I had to make it for him, took about 2 weeks doing about 3 hours a night after work. It was a right pain in the arse

Anyone remember Blasa wood.....and can you still get it. I once built and American MTB, complete with twin engines etc etc. A brilliant craft. Used to go nicking deck fittings from the model shop on Deansgate.

Balsa mate :) I had a friend who built working gliders out of it, cutting the wings and all the sections out of the stuff before lobbing a petrol engine in it.

Loved it as a kid sitting down with my dad making an air fix model. Seen the advert for the Bismarck one, but the price is ridiculous.

My nephew got this Lego Technic Bugatti for Christmas. I had to make it for him, took about 2 weeks doing about 3 hours a night after work. It was a right pain in the arse

That looks brilliant.

I do a bit of scale modelling to help chill down after a weeks work, I finish early on a Friday so take a few hours out from life and bash a kit together, the kits are generally much better moulds than the matchbox and airfix stuff we got late seventies and eighties and with age comes a bit of patience so they tend to go together a lot better and no glue thumb prints on the finished kit lol

It’s actually a thriving pursuit as I believe scale model railways are, anyway Airfix kit that costs about £8 can be turned into this

And a little more money can be turned into this

No not the size zero kind, proper models, ie. kits. There has been a great advert on the tele where you can make the Bismarck. Brilliant.
I grew up with Airfix and have loved them ever since. I sometimes do models made from matchsticks. My greatest achievement was the Golden Gate Bridge but as no one smokes anymore it is getting harder and harder.

Anyone else have this passion ?

Allow me to quote Bill Bryson on airfix models...

"But when you got the kit home and opened the box the
contents turned out to be of a uniform leaden grey or olive green,
consisting of perhaps sixty thousands tiny parts, some no larger than
a proton, all attached in some organic, inseparable way to plastic
stalks like swizzle sticks. The tubes of glue by contrast were the
size of large pastry tubes. No matter how gently you depressed them
they would blurp out a pint or so of a clear viscous goo whose one
instinct was to attach itself to some foreign object - a human finger,
the living room drapes, the fur of a passing animal - an become an
infinitely long string.

Any attempt to break the string resulted in the creation of
more strings. Within moments you would be attached to hundreds of
sagging threads, all connected to something that had nothing to do
with model aeroplanes or the Second World War. The only thing the glue
wouldn't stick to, interestingly, was a piece of plastic model; then
it just became a slippery lubricant that allowed any two pieces of
model to glide endlessly over each other, never drying.
The upshot was
that after about forty minutes of intensive but troubled endeavour you
and your immediate surroundings were covered in a glistening spider's
web of glue at the heart of which was a grey fuselage with one wing on
upside down and a pilot accidentally but irremediably attached by his
flying cap to the cockpit ceiling. Happily by this point you were so
high on the glue that you didn't give a shit about the pilot, the
model or anything else."

The bolded part is the biggest truth you will ever hear.

Airfix/gamesworkshop cunts

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.