Monaco - Post Match thread.

Absolutely nothing to blame the defence for, they all had their redeeming qualities last night.

Stones was a real leader in the second half, making crucial interceptions and breaking forward with the ball on numerous occasions.

Kolarov never stopped trying to get us going and both Clichy and Sagna showed the required levels of aggression.

It was the paucity of the front six that lost us that game last night, nothing more.

A first half in which they failed to break a sweat, failed to defend from the front and provided Monaco's own quality in the wide areas, exposing us for the first two goals.

It's been a bullshit narrative all season, that the defenders are the problem.

De Bruyne's form has been shocking for months and Pep made a stupid mistake of preferring that midfield set-up without the ball control of Yaya.

Aguero cost us. Sterling cost us. Silva cost us.

Kudos to Sane, who at least refuses to hide.
It was atrocious marking for the winner. Nobody was marking Bakayoko, it was a completely free header. We missed chances, yes, but we got the goal that should have seen us go through and we let a 6'3" lad go completely unmarked (no fucker near him) eight yards from goal due to no communication or organisation or concentration from the team as a defensive unit (which should be lead by the goalkeeper and centre halves). The whole team cost us in that very moment especially those who should be organising in those defensive moments showing a total lack of leadership at the most important time!

Last edited by a moderator:
You're wasting your breath mate, we play how we play and that's that. If you think we should have played a Toure, or a Fernando, or a Delph, to give us a more solid base, then you want us to turn into Stoke. That's how silly the level of discussion has become

How does playing Yaya Toure instead of KDB turn us into Stoke?

Its called tactics, 2 nil up away from home, keep your core strong and have some experience in your side.

I know zabba is coming to the end of his time with us but imo he still should play in the bigger matches He still has the grit and determination and offers us so much more going forward which helps out Sterling Think as fans we deserve to know whats going on with VINNY

How does playing Yaya Toure instead of KDB turn us into Stoke?

Its called tactics, 2 nil up away from home, keep your core strong and have some experience in your side.
I think the reply was suggesting that it doesn't and that people who criticize those of us demanding a bit of pragmatism use the argument that one more more defensive player means we are giving up on all our principals. It doesn't it just means we are adjusting the team to face up to an extremely potent Monaco side bearing in mind we were two nil up.

I think the defence could have done better with that 3rd goal. Poor organisation that.

However you are right about the rest. De Bruyne was fucking useless, lacked effort at times with his half hearted tracking back, poor passing and pitiful attempts at tackling which ultimately cost us the game with his foul leading to the goal.

Pep should have subbed him. I don't know why he wasn't taken off after 25
Mins he was that bad.

He has been disappointing this season. Goes missing way too often. I would drop him now.

Sane did well second half and they were all better but the first half showing was pathetic from everyone bar the odd one. Not acceptable from the players or Manager.

I can't imagine the owners are happy with being knocked out at this stage again and pressure is on to do much better that this next season.

The next 3 games will tell us just how far we are away and what we need to do.

We should not be in a position where we possibly need 5/6 new players to have the side we need.

We are however and we have to deal with it unless the owners are of the opinion that Pep is not capable of

getting the best out of his squad and challenging for trophies particularly the main two and or style and set up is not suited to the premiership.

I am still sticking by that if Toure started we wouldn't of been much better off. Although he has been more motivated than he had been in the past couple of seasons under Pellegrini, he still has defensive flaws which Monaco would of picked on. He should of been subbed on when we got back into the tie.

Looking at the way we set up it was either naiviety or arrogance from Pep and seeing as he has won the Champions League twice and always reached the semi, it cannot be naiviety, it was plain arrogance.

We had a two goal lead and should have protected that, not by going all out defence but by playing a system that could contain a dangerous attacking Monaco side as well as get the goals we needed. Why we couldn't have played a midfield three of Silva, Yaya, Fernandinho and then a front three of Sane, Aguero, Sterling. That wouldn't have left us so open and vulnerable on each attack especially with our back 5 who really only Stones is good enough for the top 6 of the premier league.

The main problem in the first half was how exposed Fernandinho were. Silva and KDB looked lost. They knew Fernandinho needed help but they were just running around aimlessly with the position they were given. Playing that formation and those players is great when you are at home or on top, you saw how good it was when we had a 20 min spell where we were on top but we weren't going to be on top for 90 mins away at Monaco.

It's an arrogance that has cost Pep a lot this season and all started with the goalkeeper. Huge fan of him and he will be a god to us down the line but I hope he realises that he will have to twig the way he wants to play until he gets the players in to do it. Bayern and Barca did not need huge squad changes, we need a minimum seven new players in the summer. Bravo, Sagna, OtamendI, Kompany, Kolarov, Zabaleta, Clichy, Fernando, Delph, Navas, Nolito all need replacing if we are to become the team pep wants us to be.

I'm not blinded by anything other than Kev's talent. Bad run of form. For sure. Poor last night. For sure. But he's not mentally weak and he's gonna remain central to what Pep wants to achieve IMO. Players around him need to improve too if he does. Silva and Ferna were equally awful.

I disagree with you here mate about his mental attitude, after that miss v Chelsea he has been far short of his undoubted ability, even in that game alone 5 minutes after the miss he let a pass go completely between his legs and out for a throw in. Against Stoke last week after he chose the wrong option and tried a difficult outside of the foot pass to Aguero instead of just rolling an easier pass to Sane, he sat on the floor with his head in his hands. Things are going for him at the moment but that's when you need to just keep working hard, put it behind and keep going, i think he dwells on the poor stuff tbh.
As for that last minute free kick..................

I think the reply was suggesting that it doesn't and that people who criticize those of us demanding a bit of pragmatism use the argument that one more more defensive player means we are giving up on all our principals. It doesn't it just means we are adjusting the team to face up to an extremely potent Monaco side bearing in mind we were two nil up.

yes fair play , I read it wrong and agree - having yaya play does not turn the team into stoke or pep into sam allardyce.

so disappointing, still Monaco are a top side. Lets nick some of their players in the summer

I am still sticking by that if Toure started we wouldn't of been much better off. Although he has been more motivated than he had been in the past couple of seasons under Pellegrini, he still has defensive flaws which Monaco would of picked on. He should of been subbed on when we got back into the tie.

Had yaya started he'd have moved the ball far, far better than Fernandinho bloody did, that's for sure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.