Monaco - Post Match thread.

We got beat by a better team over 2 legs and did anybody out there really expect us to win the CL with this defense, surely not?
Pep is indeed hamstrung this year by not spending, or not being able to spend what was necessary on the defense
Next season will be different and he should/will be judged accordingly
Huge summer transfer window for us
Expecting a massive clear out as Tolmie alludes to

The biggest problem for this team and players this season is that in matches where the press is not working where the opposing players are outrunning the team and tiredness starts setting in, there should be a 5-10 minute period where they decide to be disciplined, hold position and then try to take a bit of steam off the oppositions pressure as well as regain focus and composure and then go again. I always notice these moments are when the team is most vulnerable in every game especially against quality opposition. Instead of that they continue play on the front foot and press often leaving spaces in the midfield as a lot of players get tired and tend to lose focus meaning the pressing isn't done in cohesion but rather by one player totally vacating their position and leaving huge spaces for the other team to exploit. That is just poor game management and its cost the team plenty of games this season. Barca away, last 15 minutes against spurs, everton second half and plenty others.

Pep has to take some blame for that as he seems to ask that of them and no team can maintain that level of intensity in a match throughout 90 minutes unless they are dominating the ball which often tends not to be the case against quality oppostion. That approach worked for him at barca and bayern where those two were so dominant in possession against their rivals that they rarely came against oppositon who could match them in intensity and quality so when bayern especially came up against quality oppostion in the champions league who could they got badly exposed. That all out approach for 90 minutes will not work often in the premier league with the likes of arsenal, liverpool, spurs and even leiceter who can also match in both intensity and quality.

We got beat by a better team over 2 legs and did anybody out there really expect us to win the CL with this defense, surely not?
Pep is indeed hamstrung this year by not spending, or not being able to spend what was necessary on the defense
Next season will be different and he should/will be judged accordingly
Huge summer transfer window for us
Expecting a massive clear out as Tolmie alludes to

I think the main criticism that can be made of Pep is that perhaps he over-estimated his ability to win things with this squad. We could really have done with him screaming "Get me 4 defenders" back in July/August.

And if it wasn't poor finishing (Aguero x2, poor pass by Sterling when he should of scored or given sergio a tap in, also Sane hitting the side netting when should of squared it) it would of been 7, 8, or even 9! It we had took our chances we would be through instead we didn't and the obvious thing is to criticise are defending, which yes was shambolic at times but this is probably how it will be under Pep. We will score more than you me mentality. Big summer ahead!

If it wasn't for poor finishing monaco could have had 9,10, 11 etc. Attacking was the least of the problems for both teams during this tie but defensive organisation and personel.

Bit to disappointed/angry/fed up to post until now. Everything's been covered that I would have said, summary being that next window is crucial. Just hope we can bounce back to beat the dippers from victimville/self pity city.
Trouble is I am not confident after last night that we are up to it collectively;-(

If you can't trust to play Yaya in your biggest game of the season so far, it's not worth keeping a bit-part player on £200k a week.

The sad reality is, we are likely saying goodbye to our greatest group of players in our history.

Well, I happen to think Pep's biggest mistake was not playing Yaya last night. He has hardly been a bit part player in the last few months but we do need to be less reliant on him and I accept that continuing to pay him his current salary would be excessive but I'd try and find a compromise that suits both parties on that front.

Tony Kroos as a replacement for Yaya, and as much as i can't stand the **** i'd try and get Muller as a replacement for Sergio if he was to leave. He's unhappy as not getting as much playing time, can play anywhere in midfield or up top and has got the mentality to drag us forward when things aren't going well.

I wanted Kroos last summer; nothing has changed.

I'd be happy to see Muller in our squad.

Sagna: "We forgot to play in the first half. We forgot to fight and defend as a team. We forgot to press. We gave them too much respect."

Sagna: "I expect a reaction from the team (against Liverpool), I expect more desire and to show more passion."

All a bit late Bacary, we expect it as a bare minimum and if i remember correctly Pep said exactly the same thing when he first arrived.

And if it wasn't poor finishing (Aguero x2, poor pass by Sterling when he should of scored or given sergio a tap in, also Sane hitting the side netting when should of squared it) it would of been 7, 8, or even 9! It we had took our chances we would be through instead we didn't and the obvious thing is to criticise are defending, which yes was shambolic at times but this is probably how it will be under Pep. We will score more than you me mentality. Big summer ahead!

Can you imagine how any we would have scored if we had played for 180 mins instead of 90?

Pep got it wrong in the first half, you can't attack if you don't have the ball, we never had the ball in the first half. Silva or Kev should have played deeper until we got a hold of the game. Kev played deeper in the second half and we played a lot better. However I think that was also because Monaco sat back a little and didn't go chasing a third. At two one down we should have just kept the ball, maybe put Yaya on to help with this.
Very poor defending on the free kick that led to their third, no one attacked the ball, Kolarov got no where near it, he got dragged underneath it and Stones was just not strong enough, the high line didn't help.
Very poor first half but Pep didn't change our shape, we never got near the ball, he should have changed it after the first goal. We needed to get a foothold on the match and we didn't, as I have said you can't attack if you don't have the ball.

Sums it up quite well.
I'd like to add that IMO the high line only makes sense if the keeper is able to pick 9/10 of those crosses. Otherwise it's nonsense.
Obviously Willy doesn't have the confidence to leave his line.
Such a high defence line is very dangerous if the ball comes in between 6yd box and penalty spot.

Would be interesting to hear from Pep asked in a press conference.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.