Monaco - Post Match thread.

Not happy to read some of the comments attributed to some of our lads today. Hard to point blame at the manager after doing so. They obviously didn't execute the plan he gave them first half, and I'll never understand, in a game as big as that...why.
Newspapers? Interviews? What was said?

Last edited:
In the same breath, why don't the players *man the fuck up* and back the fans? Let's start with the 800 who made the expensive trip to Monaco to support those players. Or are they going to put in another gutless, spineless, and embarrassing 45 minutes on Sunday against Liverpool, like they did in the first half against Monaco? It works both ways.

As fans all we expect is 90 minutes, yes 90 minutes, not eight and half hours of work, effort, determination, passion, etc, like many of us put into our jobs 5 day's a week. I'm sure if you were afforded the privilege of wearing a City shirt and giving your all for 90 minutes, you'd do a damned site better than some of those players did on Wednesday night. No?

I've just posted on another thread, that the lack of respect shown to the travelling support by Pep and the majority of the players was shocking. You're right JRB, it certainly does work both ways. Flight to Milan, nearly 5 hours on a train to Nice, another train to Monaco, then back. Overpriced beer and food, closed bars, treated like cattle yet again.

That first half performance was as bad as I've seen in a long time. No hunger, no fight, no direction, no leadership, no tactics.

The support put a lot more effort into getting to the match than the team did for 45 minutes.

With the exception of John Stones, as the song goes, its as if we weren't even there..

In the same breath, why don't the players *man the fuck up* and back the fans? Let's start with the 800 who made the expensive trip to Monaco to support those players. Or are they going to put in another gutless, spineless, and embarrassing 45 minutes on Sunday against Liverpool, like they did in the first half against Monaco? It works both ways.

As fans all we expect is 90 minutes, yes 90 minutes, not eight and half hours of work, effort, determination, passion, etc, like many of us put into our jobs 5 day's a week. I'm sure if you were afforded the privilege of wearing a City shirt and giving your all for 90 minutes, you'd do a damned site better than some of those players did on Wednesday night. No?

I'm sorry mate but this is horseshit.

The 800 who made the expensive trip to Monaco?

Seriously?

Any person who went on that trip who couldn't afford to go in the first place, needs to get their priorities right.

I'm sorry mate but this is horseshit.

The 800 who made the expensive trip to Monaco?

Seriously?

Any person who went on that trip who couldn't afford to go in the first place, needs to get their priorities right.

I raise your horseshit, with another horseshit.

Come on Tolm, I think you've missed the point, whats anyone's ability to pay for something got to do with that first half performance?

I raise your horseshit, with another horseshit.

Come on Tolm, I think you've missed the point, whats anyone's ability to pay for something got to do with that first half performance?

Absolutely nothing pal.

I have seen various words used in recent days about it being brave going to Monaco, how surprisingly expensive it was, and with regards my own response to that the 800 should be acknowledged for making the expensive trip.

I don't see the money being spent and the tripe standard of football being mutually exclusive, that's all.

It was ever thus, even when we were shit and losing at Highfield Road, that players would skulk off the pitch if they had lost, embarrassed and, yes, regularly thoughtless.

Irrespective of the first-half downing of tools in Monaco, nobody owes anybody anything, and that goes both ways.

Fair play to John Stones, who seems a decent lad.

And Pep has gone out of his way this season to make that type of acknowledgement a more regular occurence.

I couldn't believe people were having a go at Aguero, he ran his socks off and tried to make things happen. Yes, he should have had a couple of goals, but that shouldn't detract from his overall play, which IMO was pretty good compared to his compatriots.

I was very disappointed with Fern, KDB and especially Silva. They were too slow to press, Silva as the captain should have initiated this but he got caught with the ball a lot. The press from the middle 5 (sagna, clichy and the 3) was obviously not what was instructed by Pep and it was completely different in the second half (maybe Monaco tired a bit too).

But the thing that really f*cked me off was the 3rd goal, absolute lack of leadership and game control in making sure that ball does not reach a Monaco head. Sometimes you can put your hands up and admit it was a great goal, and it was an excellent header, but it was a free header. Why Sterling is in the middle defending headers and Sane is out in front of the freekick on his own is beyond me.

Overall in the champs league, i'm fairly happy to see we have evolved as a team and there are CLEAR improvements that Pep has made in a short period of time with pretty much the same team we had last year. The gamble of not making large scale changes hasn't come off, but unlike a lot of the supporters i hear on the way out from the ground who moan about how we can't defend, i f*ckin' love the way we play and it's the reason i come to watch City, to watch us try and win games.

It's funny how the day after all the players are geared up having learned the lesson(s) and they are fully furnished with the reasons why it went pear-shaped! Until the next game it goes pear-shaped and . . . . . . . . . . !
Great post, how many times have we heard these same old excuses.this team cost a lot of money to assemble and they all say they joined city to play Cl.this lot looked frightened to death when they came out for the game. Two goals up from the first leg, why weren't they confident and grab the chance for the semis.we have no leader, no one to rev the fuck out of them like vinnie used to, just mediocre resistance. I mean it wasn't even Barca or Bayern it was Monaco ffs.and if I hear once more they are a great side when we have spent 200 mil( aren't we supposed to be a great side.) we need players with bottle and fight, skill is not enough without heart.

Good points, but how long exactly are were meant to wait until we can compete? I know the CL is extremely difficult to win but at the moment it's like the impossible dream.

there is to many things stacking up for manchester city to win the champions league even the great pep has found out we are being punished for having rich owners and uefa just don't want us in there competition the hate of manchester city runs deep on the board of uefa even the **** rag david gill has to much power for manchester city to never win it that's the first step

the 2nd step is out play them and give them nothing on the field and play be better than them play them of the park and don't give the officials anything to change the results this squad is just not good enough to play in europe and the age is also catching up on a lot of the players and hand on heart there is only 4 or 5 that will stay and even KDB and silva and aguero will have to be asked the question the cull will hurt a lot of fans but its right

pep honeymoon period is over the job starts now we need to see it vs liverpool this weekend bring in some of the youth players give more games time to iheanacho but pep got to make a stand on this squad before we just let this season run its course the signs are we could end up with nothing and out of the top 4

in the monaco game you could see it on the bench and interviews after the game the look was not there he knows too right he knows the players he got at the moment are not enough that starting line up only 2 or 3 will be here next season and a couple will only demand a place in first team squad next season and aguero will be asked to be a squad player and if he is not happy with that role he can leave if he does not want to fight

also question need to be asked about Leicester city why have they took to champions league football like ducks to water it really does my head in when pep talks about history and manchester city have none well pep have a look at leicester city matey it stinks and if you don't think uefa hate us just look at them its the first step that i talked about we could have messi ronaldo bale and the rest and still get done over by them

Tolmie.

It wasn't about the cost.

It was about the effort.

45 minutes of dieing for the badge and for those fans who made the effort to get there, plus those of us at home.

All we ask is that the players at least put a full shift in for 90 minutes. That's all.

Even you couldn't have been happy with that first half performance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.