Moral Victory

Come on lads - how can we claim a moral victory?

We were hyped for last night, wanted it as much as them, make no mistake, and were beaten by the better team.

We need to get over it, accept that we've still got the FA Cup to go for and roll on the summer for more proper signings.

The OP is a bit off the mark in my opinion.

'That means this was a game utd HAD to win and I would say they needed to win more than us in the end'

Why did Utd need to win more than City? I imagine it will be a weakened utd team that play in the final. Or are City bigger than the Carling Cup these days? I'm confused

'Bottles... when Bellamy went to take that corner they threw everything they could at him. Greatest fans in the world? Unfortunately, that incident did disrupt us and I don't think it's coincidence that directly from that corner they made their break and scored'

Bottles... Lighters... if it wasn't a concidence then what was it exactly? A pre-planned stunt, orchestrated by baconface in order to force a change in kick taker which therefore must lead to a utd goal?

'every season we are told that utd will win the Euro Cup'

Any examples of these yearly outbursts because I can't recall any.

I think City will win a trophy or trophies in the coming years and I think it will be champs league football next year at Liverpools expense. However that would not achieve world domination.

If City's aim is to become the biggest team in the world, then lets be honest, your destined to fail.
Inter have won 3 Seria A titles on the trot but they are not and never will be the biggest team in Milan.

Serious? said:
The OP is a bit off the mark in my opinion.

'That means this was a game utd HAD to win and I would say they needed to win more than us in the end'

Why did Utd need to win more than City? I imagine it will be a weakened utd team that play in the final. Or are City bigger than the Carling Cup these days? I'm confused

'Bottles... when Bellamy went to take that corner they threw everything they could at him. Greatest fans in the world? Unfortunately, that incident did disrupt us and I don't think it's coincidence that directly from that corner they made their break and scored'

Bottles... Lighters... if it wasn't a concidence then what was it exactly? A pre-planned stunt, orchestrated by baconface in order to force a change in kick taker which therefore must lead to a utd goal?

'every season we are told that utd will win the Euro Cup'

Any examples of these yearly outbursts because I can't recall any.

I think City will win a trophy or trophies in the coming years and I think it will be champs league football next year at Liverpools expense. However that would not achieve world domination.

If City's aim is to become the biggest team in the world, then lets be honest, your destined to fail.
Inter have won 3 Seria A titles on the trot but they are not and never will be the biggest team in Milan.

oh hello, another tourist, fuck me you are an embarrassment of a club.

I lay a lot of the blame on the lack of class at Fergusons door.

He treats the media, the fans and indeed the competitions they play in as his own property not realising that he is devaluing his own achievements further each week.

I would think that Manchester United should remove any banner that takes a pot shot at another club and make time for their own, very considerable achievements.

But then United are never beaten by another team they are robbed by ref's and cheats aren't they?

I would also like to point out that an old war horse came up against a classy young manager last night so again City are ready to build a dynasty both on and off the field.

Gary James said:
Of course it's hard to take at the moment and because it was against you-know-who at you-know-where it hurts more than usual, but we do need to try and look forward. We need to move away from the actual game and be positive about where we are and where we are going.

For me City achieved a moral victory last night. Sure that counts for very little in the end but already we have shaken up football - and utd - so much that we are now seen as real players.

Thinking specifically about last night's result.... First utd did all they could to ensure they selected their strongest possible squad. They even appealed against rio's obvious and deserved punishment just so that he could play against City. That means this was a game utd HAD to win and I would say they needed to win more than us in the end (though again it doesn't feel like that at the moment).

Had they lost they would have lost more than us. It also means that rio will be missing for highly significant League games for utd (assuming the facts are accurately seen) - who knows he may even have an extended ban and that could damage utd's longer term ambition. Short term thinking on utd's part because they knew they could not lose to us - but they can see how the football world is changing.

Next... the fact Neville was nowhere to be seen meant they knew he was a liability. They hid him away. We don't have to do that with our players. We're not ashamed or embarrassed.

Bottles... when Bellamy went to take that corner they threw everything they could at him. Greatest fans in the world? Unfortunately, that incident did disrupt us and I don't think it's coincidence that directly from that corner they made their break and scored. Personally, I'd rather have impeccable fans than that.

Looking forward Mancini has said we'll win the FA Cup - great! I know there's been criticism of others on here for this type of comment but, let's face it, every season we are told that utd will win the Euro Cup but more often than not they don't. It's seen as ambition when others say it, so let's go with it.

Didn't Malcolm Allison boast about what City would achieve. Sometimes he was right, sometimes he was wrong. When he was wrong we always seemed to be a bit more determined the next time (or we conveniently forgot about it).

To me, today hurts, but the future is an awful lot better than it felt when Blackburn knocked us out of the Cup in the qtr final a few years back. We are going somewhere. We will find success. For the first proper time in years I feel that.

As lastcomer hereon and as a person I feel I have no title to award mastermind's pattern: notheless, inded, this article is a mastermind.
It cleary shows what being a true fan at sport means
; worth addition it also features a cool & wise assessment of the great mixture of meanings that yesterday night was more than a simple football derby.
Like everybody I too went bed gutted and painfull, sicked by sorrow for what the guys and we deserved but were not fully able to take just because of a sort of "juniority" at big games our side still necessary have, but this morning, as the dust's fallen and a cooler mindset gets me, I am just full of pride for what I saw yesterday and what I can see the near future will have to bring.
Also, I don't have to forget that we went there still without some of our bests, being SWP just recovered from long stop, Ade not fit to play a full game and Tourè, Lescott and Bridges still missing; nevertheless, we went that close!

In my very modest opinion, the author - Gary James - should post this article on a national blog: just to show why City is different.

Aside all those fair thinkerings, I get a strike by saying that every time I see that f*****g SAF the worst of my beast arises.

nicolae said:
Come on lads - how can we claim a moral victory?

We were hyped for last night, wanted it as much as them, make no mistake, and were beaten by the better team.

We need to get over it, accept that we've still got the FA Cup to go for and roll on the summer for more proper signings.

True, we were beaten by a better team, and no coin thrower changed that, and using that as one of the excuses is just so desperate. I've had enough moral victories. FFS. Ireland deserved to beat France, Munster had oh so many moral victories, the gallant loosers. Munster deserved to beat the All Blacks, another moral victory. Sick to death of being the galant loosers that everyone loves. FFS.
Sure why don't we just "give it a lash."

Gary James said:
For me City achieved a moral victory last night.
Shame we weren't playing in the moral cup then Gary. ;-)

Seriously - good piece and I posted something similar on another thread. Like Churchill said after El Alamein:" Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

We know we are on the up escalator and after all the revelations about their financial position that they are just at the top of the down escalator. Hopefully in two years time they will be where Liverpool are now and in five years time where Pompey are now. We, on the other hand, will be revelling in trips to Wembley and great European nights at CoMS.

Gary you are a man after my own heart. So is Macca however. Maybe I agree with you both. There was no shame in last night. These boys want it and are working hard for it. We played geniunely in a big game and lost very narrowly. Compared to last year's UEFA quarters where we only showed up once the tie was already dead and buried, it was enough to prove to me we are developing the right spirit and mentality. It was enough to make me proud.

But it won't be enough next time. No excuses, next time something untoward happens, we can't let it affect us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.