More changes at City (Gary James has left)

I would love to know if a Cup Final Shirt from 1904 is out there...... also I'd love to see some video footage of Billy Meredith in action for us and not them. Often wondered what year the earliest video footage of a City game was from. Wouldn't mind knowing the EXACT location of the Hyde Road ground ie. Co-ordinates on a map or whatever reference point you use to pinpoint where something once was, ditto for St Mark's church in West Gorton. Also, if we ever got to a major final again, would our shirts badge return to the Manchester Coat of Arms as they did on most of our previous final appearances? And just where is the final resting place of Anna Connell?

Gary, what's the 1 thing from our history which has eluded you until now but you're desperate to find the answer for?

By the way, all the best for the future mate. My interest in our history has certainly benefitted from reading your books so thanks very much. :)

Give Gary an email to find them things out, I'm sure he won't mind. I can understand if he keeps his distance from Bluemoon for a while, especially after some of the previous comments :s

Anyhoo, I wish I'm good luck in the future, he's a top bloke.

(P.S. I think I read somewhere that the final resting place of Anna Connell is unknown - that might be wrong, but I'm sure I read it somewhere)

Sorry to see you go Gary. I am sure you are far to much of a pro to state facts.
Good luck on your next venture.

Good luck Gary.

We corresponded via email very briefly a couple of years ago regarding something to do with City and you were a top man. It's obvious to anyone that you have huge knowledge and passion for City and I for one would like to see the club employing more people like that, not less.

However, as you say, it's your choice and it's wise not to go into these things on somewhere public like this.

Hopefully you continue to churn out football and City related works and I'd hope that the club is still willing to cooperate with any of these as I'm not sure that there's anyone else currently producing work with such a depth of City knowledge.

JOGAMIGMOG said:
I would love to know if a Cup Final Shirt from 1904 is out there...... also I'd love to see some video footage of Billy Meredith in action for us and not them. Often wondered what year the earliest video footage of a City game was from. Wouldn't mind knowing the EXACT location of the Hyde Road ground ie. Co-ordinates on a map or whatever reference point you use to pinpoint where something once was, ditto for St Mark's church in West Gorton. Also, if we ever got to a major final again, would our shirts badge return to the Manchester Coat of Arms as they did on most of our previous final appearances? And just where is the final resting place of Anna Connell?

Gary, what's the 1 thing from our history which has eluded you until now but you're desperate to find the answer for?

By the way, all the best for the future mate. My interest in our history has certainly benefitted from reading your books so thanks very much. :)

The answers to most of these questions are in "Manchester The Greatest City" (version 1 - produced 1997) or "Manchester A Football History". A 1904 shirt should exist however as it didn't have a badge and the team played at Everton only 2 days after the final I believe it ended up being re-used as a regular shirt. Sandy Turnbull's 1909 Utd shirt is at their museum and Turnbull played for City in 1904 so I've spoken with his family and asked them if he saved his City shirt as well (if you save 1 then surely you'd save the first?). They never managed to trace it.

The 1904 FA Cup final was filmed and shown in pubs in Manchester 2 days after the final. No trace of that film has been found - I've visited and searched libraries of all descriptions all over UK (and also searched libraries in other parts of Europe) but no copy has been found. There may be a copy rotting away in someone's loft! This is the one thing I would like to find! Plus the actual name of the person who actually suggested that St. Mark's play football - we do not know who introduced the game itself to West Gorton. We know who set up committees etc. but not the person who said "here's a new game called asssociation football..."

Maps of St Mark's, Hyde Rd and so on exist in almost all my City books and I've also commented on here about the site of St. Mark's and its links with the first couple of series of "Shameless". Similarly there's a thread that talks about Cup Final shirts.

Meredith footage - to the best of my knowledge I cannot think of any Utd Meredith footage but I have seen him taking to the field for his last ever game (1924 for City). I used that in the Channel M TV series "History of Football" I wrote and produced.

Cal said:
I can understand if he keeps his distance from Bluemoon for a while

Thanks. Cal's right. I do need to take a brief break from responding to Bluemoon/history questions and so on, while I get my head straight. Please don't be offended if I don't respond.

It's been a very strange few weeks and I need to gather my thoughts. Thanks for all the positive comments.

All the best to you, Gary.

Someone with your experience and knowledge is bound to make a success at whatever you do.

I know Gary James quite well, he is a top bloke and has always been of great assistance to me re my collection of "City" cigarette cards.

In his greatest City book there is a picture proclaiming to be the oldest picture of City playing football (on an Ogdens cigarette card) his face was a picture when I showed him a magazine cutting I have of Billy Gillespie playing at Hyde Road some 3 years earlier.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.