Most overrated player in English football

blueplan said:
Gar said:
Fabregas for me. Not that he's a bad player but if you listen to Arsenal fans Maradona in his prime should be shining his shoes, and for some reason Barca are all over him when Xavi/Iniesta are miles and miles ahead of him. He's a very good midfielder but you never see him put the team on his shoulders when he's supposed to be their best player. Never understood what the big deal.

Yes Fabergas is a good player. Has he ever bootstrapped his team to a title?
To place him on the same pedestal as Maradona? Nobody in his right mind will do that. However Gooney worships him tho' but then is Gooney of sound mind?;)

Likewise for rags & the parochial jingoistic media who placed United midfielder Scholes on a god-like genius pedestal. If he is that on par with Zidane how come he has not contributed significantly to the national team?

Scholes is what he is. Even in his prime Giggs, Keane and Beckham (speaking of overrated) got a lot more publicity then him. He's an effective but quiet player that's always been very good at what he's been asked to do. Rags or not whoever thought of him as a player in the Zidane category who can lift the whole team by himself hasn't been paying attention, plus he had a good WC in 98 but retired after that for some reason. Could have really helped England in the last two, like him or not. Fabergas on the other hand is supposed to be in that category but is at best the 4th best spanish midfielder, and I'm not entirely sure Silva isn't better. For sure you can use him in a lot more ways.

blueplan said:
Moo! said:
Drogba - Only had 2 good seasons, not up there with the best as some would have you believe.

I guess you are right with all the BS citations below

Individual awards

Onze d'Or: 2004
UEFA Cup Top Scorer: 2004
Ligue 1 Goal of the Year: 2004
Ligue 1 Team of the Year: 2004
Ligue 1 Player of the Year: 2004
Ivorian Footballer of the Year: 2006, 2007
African Footballer of the Year: 2006, 2009
Chelsea Players' Player of the Year: 2007
Premier League Golden Boot: 2007, 2010
PFA Team of the Year: 2007, 2010
UEFA Team of the Year: 2007
ESM Team of the Year: 2007
FIFPro World XI: 2007
BBC African Footballer of the Year: 2009
West African Footballer of the Year : 2010
Chelsea Player of the Year: 2010
Time Top 100: 2010
Côte d'Ivoire all-time Top Scorer
Why did you make 'Top Time' bold ? thats for doing work in africa, fair play to him.

Anyway the OP said "Who do you think".

Gar said:
Fabregas for me. Not that he's a bad player but if you listen to Arsenal fans Maradona in his prime should be shining his shoes, and for some reason Barca are all over him when Xavi/Iniesta are miles and miles ahead of him. He's a very good midfielder but you never see him put the team on his shoulders when he's supposed to be their best player. Never understood what the big deal.
Fabregas 213 games 72 assists in the PL
Lampard 324 games 75 assists in the PL
Gerrard 304 games 65 assists in the PL

Fabregas is the most creative player in the league. He had 20 assist in one season just the league. How many players can match that?<br /><br />-- Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:21 pm --<br /><br />
Gar said:
blueplan said:
Yes Fabergas is a good player. Has he ever bootstrapped his team to a title?
To place him on the same pedestal as Maradona? Nobody in his right mind will do that. However Gooney worships him tho' but then is Gooney of sound mind?;)

Likewise for rags & the parochial jingoistic media who placed United midfielder Scholes on a god-like genius pedestal. If he is that on par with Zidane how come he has not contributed significantly to the national team?

Scholes is what he is. Even in his prime Giggs, Keane and Beckham (speaking of overrated) got a lot more publicity then him. He's an effective but quiet player that's always been very good at what he's been asked to do. Rags or not whoever thought of him as a player in the Zidane category who can lift the whole team by himself hasn't been paying attention, plus he had a good WC in 98 but retired after that for some reason. Could have really helped England in the last two, like him or not. Fabergas on the other hand is supposed to be in that category but is at best the 4th best spanish midfielder, and I'm not entirely sure Silva isn't better. For sure you can use him in a lot more ways.

better at what though? Both are playmakers and one is much better passer with better vision. Dont look at this seasons Cesc who has been dogged by injuries. he's a better player than Silva and has always been rated as better even in his home country, despite Cesc never playing in Spain. this is a boy that was getting games for Spain at the age of 18. hamstring issues has really messed with his rhythm last 18 months

Jackson-ctid said:
Robin Van Persie... Greedy, takes too long on the ball, poor finisher. Wrong type of player for Arsenal. If Arsenal had a striker like Eto'o, Forlan, Dzeko, Suarez, Fabiano they would be a far better team, good finishers with talent and a bit of pace who respect the passing game and know when to pass to their team mates. In fact, I think it must be so frustrating for Arsenal fans because their team is so close to world class, it's unbelievable. If they went for it a bit in the transfer market and bought a top striker, world class goalkeeper and a commanding centre back. They could easily beat everyone in the league imo.
lol Van Persie is absolutely vital to Arsenals passing game. Its clear you dont watch Arsenal games.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_zZ8WgcRFA[/youtube]

VanPersie said:
lol Van Persie is absolutely vital to Arsenals passing game.

He can be very wasteful though, he misses far too many chances for an alleged world class forward. If Arsenal had a world class striker in the team (along with a world class goalkeeper and possibly a top class experienced defender), they/you would have walked the league title this year. Wenger's stubbornness is costing Arsenal years of trophies.

LoveCity said:
VanPersie said:
lol Van Persie is absolutely vital to Arsenals passing game.

He can be very wasteful though, he misses far too many chances for an alleged world class forward. If Arsenal had a world class striker in the team (along with a world class goalkeeper and possibly a top class experienced defender), they/you would have walked the league title this year. Wenger's stubbornness is costing Arsenal years of trophies.
He has 20 league goals in his last 21 league starts. I disagree if Van Persie remained fit for the first half of the season we probably would have walked to league.

You'll have look hard to find an Arsenal fan who doubts rvps quality and importance when fit

VanPersie said:
Jackson-ctid said:
Robin Van Persie... Greedy, takes too long on the ball, poor finisher. Wrong type of player for Arsenal. If Arsenal had a striker like Eto'o, Forlan, Dzeko, Suarez, Fabiano they would be a far better team, good finishers with talent and a bit of pace who respect the passing game and know when to pass to their team mates. In fact, I think it must be so frustrating for Arsenal fans because their team is so close to world class, it's unbelievable. If they went for it a bit in the transfer market and bought a top striker, world class goalkeeper and a commanding centre back. They could easily beat everyone in the league imo.
lol Van Persie is absolutely vital to Arsenals passing game. Its clear you dont watch Arsenal games.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_zZ8WgcRFA[/youtube]
I cant believe v.persie is compared to fabiano and suarez lol. he's far better player than those guys

VanPersie said:
LoveCity said:
He has 20 league goals in his last 21 league starts. I disagree if Van Persie remained fit for the first half of the season we probably would have walked to league.

You'll have look hard to find an Arsenal fan who doubts rvps quality and importance when fit
That, I have no doubt of. However, being completely impartial is a valuable, albeit rare trait in a football fan.

As for your point about RVP being fit = you walking the league...in what way would he have solved the fact that your centre-halves have been mainly gash? Would RVP have single-handedly turned Almunia into a decent keeper, incapable of making mistakes? No, no he wouldn't.

He'd have got you a few goals, no doubt, but the reason that you're behind us is largely down to your team being full of bottlers, not short of a fit striker.

And there's always the stock reply to any Arse fan saying "if Van Persie was fit..." which is: if my aunty had bollocks..etc.

I'll go with another Spanyard who used to be in Xabi Alonso. Once again a nice player, very good passer but isn't a midfield dictator and for the price Liverpool got Real Madrid to cough up you're going to want a midfield centerpiece, which he isn't. Not as good with Gerrard and the Barcalona midfield are going to expose his lack of quickness and have him for lunch on Saturday. I know it's not relevant to the topic anymore but he was ridiculously overhyped while he was here. Shocking for a Liverpool player to be overhyped isn't it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.