Most overrated player in English football

First of all, let me clarify, I am what you guys would describe as a "rag". Yes, I do support Manchester United but hear me out first. I genuinely live 10 minutes away from Old Trafford, in an area called Timperley, if you don't believe me then you can IP check me if you want to, so I'm not like any of those 1132529 people in London who 'support' United simply because they win trophies.

Now, as my first point, I would like to ask why some of you guys here reckon that Nani is overrated? On the official assists counter, he has got eighteen assists, seven assists more than the next guy down the line. Goals wise he's scored ten this season. Now, I would like to ask how many wingers in the world (Bar the mentally unstable and almost physically impossible abberations of Ronaldo and Messi) can have stats that magnificent? Also he's almost the complete attacker. His dribbling is fantastic, in my opinion the best in the premier league bar maybe one, his touch is excellent, his crossing is very good and he is rapid as hell. Understably, his irritating antics may make people see red mist and take away from his actual abilities, though I would say this season, he has been United's most complete attacker. One thing you could say he lacks is aerial ability but we've not really seen him enough in that role to really judge, as he does not usually, if at all, play up front on his own or even in a leading the line role.

Next on the agenda is Valencia, which is a name I've seen cropped up a few times. To deal with this issue, I would say he is the footballing equivalent of Jonathan Trott, for anybody who watches cricket. Valencia's best is not that outstanding, but the thing is he is hardly, if ever, awful. He's always near that good level and always puts in a great shift, hardly ever looses the ball and is always willing to track back and help defend. Not to mention he adds an extra dimension as he is a classical winger who cuts to the byline and whips in a cross. His dribbling is not that spectacular but he is effective and i think of him nothing more than that. He's there to keep balance and to keep the team dynamic. As for whether he is overrated or not, I don't think the media really rate him to be anything more than what I've described, he's certainly not a Ronaldo, Figo, Nani, esque unpredictable creative playmaking winger as he is very predictable but he does his job very well.

A few people mentioned Hernandez though to an extent I would agree. Jamie Redknapp described him as the buy of the century, which is completely ridiculous. He is a very good striker who is always at the right place and the right time and is very quick but his dribbling, holding play and distribution leaves a lot to be desired. However, this is overlooked by the media by the fact that he has bailed United out of so many dodgy situations by simply being at the right place at the right time. Fantastic option to have on the bench at the moment and if his overall play develops, would be a good starting striker.

Regarding Carrick and Gibson, how can a player be overrated if they are not rated at all? If you ever feel the urge to vist redcafe.net (god forbid) you will see that even most United 'fans' there will dislike him. Same with O'shea really, he's not overrated simply because he's not even rated. Carrick is a bit more of an enigma, two years ago he was fantastic, after the defeat in the Stadio Olympico to Barcelona, he's not looked the same since until recently against Chelsea, prior to that he was certainly playing awful and most people recognize that. I think the same applies to Scholes as it does Nani, that some of his actions on the pitch have had a clouding effect on his genuine footballing ability. And the person who claimed he can do those fifty yarders, can you sort me out with an eighth for tomorrow please? And for the person who mentioned Giggs, please explain? I don't see how on earth somebody who has played at the top level for twenty two years and is the most decorated player in footballing history could possibly be overrated?

Now for the topic at hand. The first overrated player I would choose, and perhaps the most blatant is Gareth Bloody Bale. His close control is very limited, he is very one dimensional, he is not very explosive. In fact the only thing that is going for him really is his pace. I mean seriously, how has Dibijl Cisse dribbling got him so highly rated? My mate told me he's better than Nani, I said how? He said, "You don't see Nani scoring a hattrick against Inter Milan." I didn't know how to reply. But he was an Arsenal fan so I wasn't really suprised by the comment. My University lecturer, who is Derby county fan said to me that Bale is the best crosser in the premier league. Yeah, I mean it really shows doesn't it with that amazing three assists he's got. It seems the Daily Fail and The Sun have really convinced the people that Gareth Bale is the Welsh Jesus incarnate or the last of the long lost line of Druids.

The second most overrated player in the league I reckon is Dirk Kuyt. Now, not many people would agree with me here and it seems that I'm alone in thinking he is a pile of crap. Seriously Van Basten? Dirk Kuyt over Arjen Robben? Dirk Kuyt over Van Der Vaart? Dirk Kuyt over Van Persie? I didn't know that being able to run up and down the left hand side of the pitch is good enough to become a permanent starter on your national team. Hmm, I'm going to hit the treadmill for the next year and try and ring up Fabio Capello. Yes, he's pretty damn consistent, consistently average. He can't dribble, his goal scoring record for a proclaimed "20/20" striker is abysmal, he has limited assists, his technique isn't great. I think that the only reason he plays for Liverpool is because the Liverpool wingers are genuinely a bit...well....lets put it into perspective, Albert Riera was their first choice winger for a while.

The final overrated player in my opinion is David Luiz. Now, I may be quoted wrong and humiliated in what, a years time? But really, after three games, a decent volley against us and two pretty solid games, he was proclaimed as one of the best centre backs in the league. I don't think one of the world's best centrebacks can really get skinned like a banana against Matthew Etherington. Yes Matthew Etherington. I'll repeat that again. The media proclaimed one of the best centre backs in the league got annihalated by Matthew Etherington. Most elegaic story of the season? Now if he plays well for the next two seasons then fair enough. But now? Hell no. If centre backs were judged solely on their first three games then Jonny Evans would be the new Franz Beckenbauer. One of my mates told me that the only reason we beat Chelsea in the CL was because Luiz wasn't playing. Yes, thats how deep it had gotten.

On an ending note I believe players like Lescott, Reina, Carragher and Nasri are criminally overrated but not as much as the three above. I would also like to say that I don't believe Rooney is overrated, just that I don't want to waste my time and energy typing words that defend the fat ****. He's an excellent player, just the only player at United I genuinely dislike.

Of course, I'm bound to be bias as I'm wearing red tinted goggles but this is my opinion and not all opinion is correct.

You are on a City forum. And we like our tints blue. Nani is disliked for 2 reasons, he is United and he dives.

Otherwise, he is a top 5 player in the league. Valencia on the other hand isn't. My general problem is with how overatted is defined. Each person defines it differently. For me you have to be considered one of the best and actually not be, to be overatted.

Gareth Bale is overatted. But Kuyt isn't since he is not conisdered a top player anyway. Luiz is overatted too. However I think he is class. And this was from my opinion of him before he came into the league.

You are on a City forum. And we like our tints blue. Nani is disliked for 2 reasons, he is United and he dives.

This is what I fail to understand. You can't just dislike a player just because he plays for a certain club. For example I dislike Liverpool immensely but I like Carroll as a player. I dislike Gerrard for diving and Suarez for being a cheating bastard. I'm impartial on their other players. I can understand why Nani is loathed for his antics, but simply playing for us is a bit steep in my opinion.

It's like Liverpool fans hating Michael Owen for joining us. Seriously, I mean it was either that or bloody Hull City. Any person with any common sense would have joined United, yet Pool fans blame him for it. If i was Owen and it was the choice between Manchester City and Wigan Athletic, I'd choose City in a heartbeat.

mancronnie said:

This is what I fail to understand. You can't just dislike a player just because he plays for a certain club. For example I dislike Liverpool immensely but I like Carroll as a player. I dislike Gerrard for diving and Suarez for being a cheating bastard. I'm impartial on their other players. I can understand why Nani is loathed for his antics, but simply playing for us is a bit steep in my opinion.

It's like Liverpool fans hating Michael Owen for joining us. Seriously, I mean it was either that or bloody Hull City. Any person with any common sense would have joined United, yet Pool fans blame him for it. If i was Owen and it was the choice between Manchester City and Wigan Athletic, I'd choose City in a heartbeat.

Personally, no matter who Nani played for i'd still think he was a ****.

Personally, no matter who Nani played for i'd still think he was a ****.

Yes, for his diving and childish antics though, not for the club he played for. The fact is, if Nani didn't dive and cheat most Pool/City fans would still hate Nani.

Nani the fanny and Gareth Bale.
I can't decide on just one

Why do you think Nani is overrated?

Gareth Barry, unfortunately.<br /><br />-- Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:01 pm --<br /><br />
Dax777 said:

Also, he is a twat.

mancronnie said:
I dislike Liverpool immensely but I like Carroll as a player.

Starting to wish City had got him instead of Dzeko. I know there was trouble off the pitch - but if he lived in Manchester then he'd no longer be the most famous person around like he would've been in Newcastle. Their Number 9 is a King. The Guy wouldn't be getting hassled all the time in Manchester.

Carroll will have a 1 in 2 scoring record for England by the time he retires.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.