Most Overrated Player to Play for City

What a depressing thread. Most overrated player? ‘Yaya’.

My good God.

I’m off to my book.

Just wait a mo, and put yer book down! Didn't Merson say he'd never heard of him when we bought him? Was it Merson or another clown? There must be summat in it - forget those majestic goals at Wembley, forget the MotM at Newcastle, all the penalties, the total domination of midfield - if Merson hadn't heard of him he mustn't have been much good.

Kevin Bond (but don’t let GDM Know)!!
I actually thought he was a very decent player, but is was a crazy decision by his father to bring him to us in the first place, especially at the cost of crowd favorite Nicky Reids first team place.

I have an issue with this one, the guy was with us basically 18 months was our top goal scorer in his first year, having missed the first month of the season(and I think forth in the league, although I might be wrong on that)and then spent most of the next half season at the club injured. He looked a really good player for much of the first year, his issues started after the allegations related to a night out in Leeds over the New Year of that first season and lets be far who hasn't had a crap night out in Leeds in their lifetime.
I'm not saying he wasn't a good player, but Robinho was rated as a 'Galactico' which puts him in Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo territory. When he came through at Santos he was going to be one of the best players ever, i personally never saw it. He was never going to reach the heights he was rated at, IMHO.

I'm not saying he wasn't a good player, but Robinho was rated as a 'Galactico' which puts him in Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo territory. When he came through at Santos he was going to be one of the best players ever, i personally never saw it. He was never going to reach the heights he was rated at, IMHO.
I hear what you are saying, but for me he was an important transition from singing players like Tal Ben Haim to your Yaya Toure's and David Silva's pf this world. Basically we had gone 30 years not competing at the top table going back to players like Steve Daley, Trevor Francis both who at the time had been wanted by pretty much all the major clubs

The reason most people especially outside City see him as a failure at the club(I recently saw a video on YouTube that listed him as City's worst ever signing! honestly I can name 30 without thinking about it!!). This perception, in my view comes about for two main reasons the media was desperate for City to fail and Robinho was the first prime target(you only have to look at the abuse Yaya got in the media after signing)and secondly Hughes used the media to cover his own shortcomings as a manager, our away record sucked because we had a lazy Brazilian in the team, when in point of fact our away record sucked with whoever Hughes put in the team and to prove that point he then moved to Fulham and their away record sucked too!

Alfie haaland was shite, utter shite.
The lad we got from Ipswich, Tony vaughen, had high hopes but he was shite as well

I see we’ve resorted to re-writing history.

Your longevity and consistency argument may have some credibility, but the thread is about being overrated.

By your own admission and harsh assessment you say he was ‘good’ for 3 seasons.

He wasn’t good.

He was an absolute colossus, a beast, unplayable, immovable, unflappable and a World Class genius......and he wore our shirt.

VK agrees.

We simply cannot and will never agree.
Stop being a drama queen and playing to the audience; it's nothing to do with re-writing history (the stats pre Jan 2016 were already pretty conclusive). Our difference of opinion is purely on the value we place on consistency.

I personally feel the difference between players like David Silva and Mesut Ozil is consistency, Ozil is capable of everything Silva is but doesn't do it often enough.

Stats pre 2016 so you can't use accusations of re-writing history again - https://www.skysports.com/football/...s-and-the-truth-behind-his-man-city-work-rate

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.