Most Overrated Player to Play for City

Nigel de Jong was an excellent CDM. Not in Fernandinho's class but very few are.

Robinho is the answer to the OPs question. A youtube highlights player.

Going back many years, I was very excited to hear that Alfons Groenendijk (sp) could open a can of peas with his left foot. Just a shame he couldn't play football.

I remember that quote, surely it’s the most bizarre description of a footballers abilities ever made by a manager!

Joe hart for me, never rated him from the moment he was on loan at brum and he tried to save one with his feet and kicked it in the net, was dreading the game vs Spurs when yaya made his debut Cos all week it was given vs hart who would Mancini pick.

Hart was average goalie at best protected by Mancini defence line, wheels started to come off under pellers when it was apparent he couldn’t get down low to his left
He was a decent goalkeeper who made some great saves for us (that one vs Everton always comes to mind) but definitely overrated by a lot of our fans.

Potentially a very unpopular opinion but what frustrated me about Hart was that I got the feeling that he was obsessed with being at the centre of things. I felt like there were so many times when he could have got the ball out quicker but held onto it so that he’d be on TV for longer. Same with some of the saves he made where it looked like he was overcomplicating things because it would look cool. It felt like he thought he was the dog’s bollocks.

Ultimately I think this trait may have been part of his downfall as he stopped being relevant after he left us and probably couldn’t cope with it. It’s a shame because I think it could’ve worked out for him elsewhere after he left us and he could’ve stayed on as England’s number 1 because he was no worse than any of the others at the time.

I have never taken to dislike any of our players, only if i disliked them before arrival. Mc pointy only comes to mind, imo he was shit at liverpool, craaap at Madrid but shone in CL final for them. Seemed like an on pitch manager for us, so far up his own hole it`s ridiculous. Plus has damn all good to say about us.

He was a decent goalkeeper who made some great saves for us (that one vs Everton always comes to mind) but definitely overrated by a lot of our fans.

Potentially a very unpopular opinion but what frustrated me about Hart was that I got the feeling that he was obsessed with being at the centre of things. I felt like there were so many times when he could have got the ball out quicker but held onto it so that he’d be on TV for longer. Same with some of the saves he made where it looked like he was overcomplicating things because it would look cool. It felt like he thought he was the dog’s bollocks.

Ultimately I think this trait may have been part of his downfall as he stopped being relevant after he left us and probably couldn’t cope with it. It’s a shame because I think it could’ve worked out for him elsewhere after he left us and he could’ve stayed on as England’s number 1 because he was no worse than any of the others at the time.

yeah he thought he was the main man and had a big ego never will forget when he was screaming at the Italians in the 2012 shoot out, jumping up and down screaming like a idiot and Pirlo just dinked it down the middle lol

I tend to agree. Ederson with the ball at his feet is brilliant but when it comes to just keeping the ball out of the net we've had better. Been a City fan since the early 90s and in my opinion from the keepers I've seen Coton,Given, Hart and David James were better shot stoppers. That being said none of them would get in Peps team because of their distribution!
Big Eddy isn’t the greatest keeper we’ve ever had but he is perfect for the way Pep wants us to play the game. He is though he best keeper I have ever seen with his feet, like having an eleventh’s out field player. He is also as brave as a lion, which is a great trait in a goalkeeper.

In contrast to the underrated player thread.

I’ll start with my nomination in recent times.. Nigel De Jong.

Everyone loved him when he came in, because we were bang average and like Zabaleta, he threw his body into everything.
The main difference between those two being, one improved their footballing ability and nous to match their dedication.

De Jong left ground too often, mainly because his positional sense was shit, and he was covering his own arse. I used to cringe when he would go crunching in, sometimes with unnecessary force, and he cost a few players a few years of their careers. If he had played for anyone else, we’d have bemoaned what a dirty player he was.

Oh and his chant was absolutely awful.
Shit post, NDJ was excellent. McManamanaman and mrs mills were shit and cunnts, and indeed still are

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.