Most underrated and overrated cricketer

Rascal said:
Lancet Fluke said:
Rascal said:
Perhaps people thought Both should have achieved much more than he did. I think he should have especially as a Batsman as he was technically brilliant but often threw his wicket away. Listening to him on Sky nowadays its plain he saw himself as a bowler who could bat a bit rather than a batsman who was a great bowler.

Maybe his love of the vino and his contempt towards to nets made his carrear figures look less then should have because as a batsman he should have averaged 40+ at least with his talent.

Saying that it was him and thats why i loved him. Proper bloke who smashed the aussies ;)

The fact that he achieved what he did whilst being pissed almost every night of his career says even more about just how good he was. Could he have done better if he'd behaved differently, possibly, he could have potentially been the best cricketer of all time. As it is he just has to settle for being the greatest English cricketer of all time. But surely that doesn't make him even close to being overrated?

Agreed not overrated at all, the man was a force of nature.

He did in my book underachieve though which in no way means he was overated as you say.

He was a big enough star as it was but can you imagine what an impact he would have made in this era of 24 hour media given the kind of publicity someone like Flintoff received. I realise now when I hear him being a pundit that he's a bit of a twat but I still feel genuinely privileged to have been able to go to Old Trafford on lots of occasions to see him play for England. He is a true English sporting legend unlike some of the relative nonentities who get described as legends these days.

Lancet Fluke said:
He was a big enough star as it was but can you imagine what an impact he would have made in this era of 24 hour media given the kind of publicity someone like Flintoff received. I realise now when I hear him being a pundit that he's a bit of a twat but I still feel genuinely privileged to have been able to go to Old Trafford on lots of occasions to see him play for England. He is a true English sporting legend.

Yes the man is a legend and i also had the privilige of watching him perform many times.

After he retired he did a tour called an evening with Beefy and Lamb and i went to the Davenport thearte in Stockport to watch it and it was brilliant. Afterwards theywere both in the pub next door and very friendly to all.

I loved watching Neil Fairbrother. I was a member at LCCC and often bumped into him. It seems a handful on here overrate him. He was excellent at times in county cricket and the way he plundered the ball in one day cricket was a joy to watch. However, he simply wasn't international quality and certainly not great. He had clear technical deficiencies that were always going to be exposed at the highest level.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.