Most underrated and overrated cricketer

Shands said:
neel said:
Paul Lake's Left Knee said:
Kallis is a fine fine player, decent bowler and good slipper. However, he isnt the most exciting of batsmen, he is better than Freddie who i had in my selection, but it wasnt your best team but who you want to see play, i would rather see Flintoff bat and bowl than Kallis. McGrath again was a brilliant bowler, was very consistent, didnt produce magic like an Akram or Marshall, i didnt like him either, so wouldnt pay to watch McGrath at all. I didnt see Sobers or Bradman play sadly, i've seen snippets, but i've picked from what i have seen, not the history books and stats.
And Sachin?

Sachin has been a truly great player, no question, and if it was picking a team of the best 11 players he'd get in virtually everyone's side I'm sure. He didn't make my team simply because there are others who I have enjoyed watching play more (for a variety of reasons)and I guess that would be the same for PLLK's selection. That's not to say Sachin hasn't been a stylish or entertaining cricketer because clearly he has.

One thing I would say though is that, in purely my opinion,I regard Dravid higher than Tendulkar. I think Rahul may not have been as easy on the eye as Tendulkar (though he did often play elegant textbook strokes when scoring) but I do feel he made the telling contributions with the bat when his team really needed it, and contributed much more to the side as a captain and fielder.
Yup mate..theres feeling in India too tht Rahul was bit underrated player as he was in shadows of sachin ganguly and laxman

Ell-ano said:
cant stand Tim Bresnan, consistent bowler yes, but he is no Glenn McGrath, not quick enough, doesnt swing it and doesnt seam it, especially with Tremlett, Finn, Onions etc. waiting, he is my overated player, my underated player? there are a few in county cricket right now, but over the last few years, probably David Miller for South Africa, brilliant bat and Faf Du Plessis who was a phenomenon at Lancs, they should never have gotten rid of him, he is the best fielder in the world, can bowl and has a test average of 69.75

This is where we will have to disagree. Bresnan is a brilliant first change bowler, he isn't Curtley or McGrath but can hit the spot, take wickets and make the tail wag.

Ell-ano said:
cant stand Tim Bresnan, consistent bowler yes, but he is no Glenn McGrath, not quick enough, doesnt swing it and doesnt seam it, especially with Tremlett, Finn, Onions etc. waiting, he is my overated player, my underated player? there are a few in county cricket right now, but over the last few years, probably David Miller for South Africa, brilliant bat and Faf Du Plessis who was a phenomenon at Lancs, they should never have gotten rid of him, he is the best fielder in the world, can bowl and has a test average of 69.75

Lancs didn't get rid of Faf, they weren't able to keep him as he didn't meet some qualification or other (it was to do with Kolpak but quite complicated). I think phenomenon is a bit strong though; he did fairly well in one-day cricket but his four day average was only something like 25. Much improved player now though

Love watching Chris Gayle in full flow.

Underrated Jack Simmons ....should of played for England in 1 dayers.... .... so difficult to get away and dominate.
Joel Garner .....not as quick as Marshall, Holding but hell what a yorker

Overrated .... Nasser Hussein

Team to go and watch

GREENIDGE
GILCHRIST
LARA
VIV RICHARDS
TENDULKAR
BOTHAM
HADLEE
WASIM AKRAM
WARNE
GARNER
MURALI

How depressingly predictable that people have put Botham down as the most overrated cricketer. Why do people feel the need to be contrary to the point of utter idiocy?

Hamann Pineapple said:
James Anderson and Kevin Pietersen

haha, highest run scorer in England history suggests otherwise. In fact with the slagging off KP gets off the ignorant lot I'd say he's one of the more underrated, anyone else scores a century in the Ashes thread and half a dozen come in with plaudits, he does and the thread stays empty, talk about disrespect.

Lancet Fluke said:
How depressingly predictable that people have put Botham down as the most overrated cricketer. Why do people feel the need to be contrary to the point of utter idiocy?

Perhaps people thought Both should have achieved much more than he did. I think he should have especially as a Batsman as he was technically brilliant but often threw his wicket away. Listening to him on Sky nowadays its plain he saw himself as a bowler who could bat a bit rather than a batsman who was a great bowler.

Maybe his love of the vino and his contempt towards to nets made his carrear figures look less then should have because as a batsman he should have averaged 40+ at least with his talent.

Saying that it was him and thats why i loved him. Proper bloke who smashed the aussies ;)

Rascal said:
Lancet Fluke said:

Perhaps people thought Both should have achieved much more than he did. I think he should have especially as a Batsman as he was technically brilliant but often threw his wicket away. Listening to him on Sky nowadays its plain he saw himself as a bowler who could bat a bit rather than a batsman who was a great bowler.

Maybe his love of the vino and his contempt towards to nets made his carrear figures look less then should have because as a batsman he should have averaged 40+ at least with his talent.

Saying that it was him and thats why i loved him. Proper bloke who smashed the aussies ;)

The fact that he achieved what he did whilst being pissed almost every night of his career says even more about just how good he was. Could he have done better if he'd behaved differently, possibly, he could have potentially been the best cricketer of all time. As it is he just has to settle for being the greatest English cricketer of all time. But surely that doesn't make him even close to being overrated?

Lancet Fluke said:
Rascal said:
Lancet Fluke said:

The fact that he achieved what he did whilst being pissed almost every night of his career says even more about just how good he was. Could he have done better if he'd behaved differently, possibly, he could have potentially been the best cricketer of all time. As it is he just has to settle for being the greatest English cricketer of all time. But surely that doesn't make him even close to being overrated?

Agreed not overrated at all, the man was a force of nature.

He did in my book underachieve though which in no way means he was overated as you say.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.