Most underrated and overrated cricketer

Brian Statham was one of the most consistent and fluid quick bowlers ever IMO.
Overrated player? Probably Irani.

Paul Lake's Left Knee said:
mcmanus said:
Used to love watching that fat Pakistani Inzaman Al Haq (sp) bat. Couldn't run for shit so just hit boundaries. Class.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrRjB6Jn4CA[/youtube]

got called a mutoo aloo, fat potato, so waded into the crowd!! Certainly a character Inzi.

Once got told he came from a rich family and used to pay a scrote to run whenever he batted hence why he got run out a lot.

tidyman said:
The Colonel said:
noely said:
Over rated Ashley Giles hows he involved in the england set up now??

Under rated got to be Glenn Chapple how he didnt pick up a rake of caps at one day and test level when as a nation at the time of his prime were pretty shite is beyond me

Reminds me of a Nat West Final Lancs v Essex. Conditions were that the ball was swinging all over the place. Ronnie Irani even moved the ball a little and took a couple of wickets. This was lauded by the old school tie commentators and watched by the MCC and selectors. By the time Lancs were bowling conditions were not so conducive yet a young Glen Chappell for 6 overs was absolutely unplayable and picked up 4 wickets I think. By this time of course the commentators were dismissing this as being down to the conditions and the MCC and selectors were pissed and had seen enough. The next week the test tour team is announced and includes one certain Ronnie Irani based on an average performance for a Home Counties side in a one day final! It was typical of the selection ethos at the time.

Well there's my overrated / underrated.

To be fair, Irani was picked as an all rounder. Even if he was a shit one.

As much as I love Chappel and his contribution to Lancs over many years, I'm afraid I can't agree with the general consensus amongst Lancastrians that he ever quite had enough to warrant a test place.

Irani was out of the picture at the time and the one day final definately put him intheir minds. The selectors were reknowned for this at the time.

Causeway_Boy said:
Underrated - Michael Atherton/Mike Smith/Will Gidman
Overrated - Stuart Broad/Beefy/Flintoff

Ian Botham was a phenomenon when he first broke through between 77 and 81 , it was only his questionable attitude to health and fitness that held him back from beeing rated the greatest cricketer of all time

I think this piece sums it up nicely

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/479796.html

plongo said:
Strangely enough

Ian Botham candidate for both

ooh err controversial

Behave yourself now. Graham Hick was a slow track bully as soon as he came up against genuine pace on a hard pitch he wept and cried like a baby deffo overated.

I always liked Neil Fairbrother always got at chance at one day games but was mostly overlooked for the Test arena imo a very underated player.

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
plongo said:
Strangely enough

Ian Botham candidate for both

ooh err controversial

Behave yourself now. Graham Hick was a slow track bully as soon as he came up against genuine pace on a hard pitch he wept and cried like a baby deffo overated.

I always liked Neil Fairbrother always got at chance at one day games but was mostly overlooked for the Test arena imo a very underated player.

I agree about Hick, he'd fail constantly and when it seemed he was on the verge of getting dropped he'd pull out a decent innings to give him a reprieve.

The cookie monster said:
Am suprised no ones mentioned jaque kallis in their team to watch
Sunil gavasker,glen mcGrath,Garfield Sobers

And the daddy of them all

Bradman.

Kallis is a fine fine player, decent bowler and good slipper. However, he isnt the most exciting of batsmen, he is better than Freddie who i had in my selection, but it wasnt your best team but who you want to see play, i would rather see Flintoff bat and bowl than Kallis. McGrath again was a brilliant bowler, was very consistent, didnt produce magic like an Akram or Marshall, i didnt like him either, so wouldnt pay to watch McGrath at all. I didnt see Sobers or Bradman play sadly, i've seen snippets, but i've picked from what i have seen, not the history books and stats.
And Sachin?

neel said:
The cookie monster said:
Am suprised no ones mentioned jaque kallis in their team to watch
Sunil gavasker,glen mcGrath,Garfield Sobers

And the daddy of them all

Bradman.

Kallis is a fine fine player, decent bowler and good slipper. However, he isnt the most exciting of batsmen, he is better than Freddie who i had in my selection, but it wasnt your best team but who you want to see play, i would rather see Flintoff bat and bowl than Kallis. McGrath again was a brilliant bowler, was very consistent, didnt produce magic like an Akram or Marshall, i didnt like him either, so wouldnt pay to watch McGrath at all. I didnt see Sobers or Bradman play sadly, i've seen snippets, but i've picked from what i have seen, not the history books and stats.
And Sachin?

Sachin has been a truly great player, no question, and if it was picking a team of the best 11 players he'd get in virtually everyone's side I'm sure. He didn't make my team simply because there are others who I have enjoyed watching play more (for a variety of reasons)and I guess that would be the same for PLLK's selection. That's not to say Sachin hasn't been a stylish or entertaining cricketer because clearly he has.

One thing I would say though is that, in purely my opinion, I regard Dravid higher than Tendulkar. I think Rahul may not have been as easy on the eye as Tendulkar (though he did often play elegant textbook strokes when scoring) but I do feel he made the telling contributions with the bat when his team really needed it, and contributed much more to the side as a captain and fielder.

cant stand Tim Bresnan, consistent bowler yes, but he is no Glenn McGrath, not quick enough, doesnt swing it and doesnt seam it, especially with Tremlett, Finn, Onions etc. waiting, he is my overated player, my underated player? there are a few in county cricket right now, but over the last few years, probably David Miller for South Africa, brilliant bat and Faf Du Plessis who was a phenomenon at Lancs, they should never have gotten rid of him, he is the best fielder in the world, can bowl and has a test average of 69.75

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.