Mourinho or Mancini

BobKowalski said:
An interesting discussion that has rumbled on for 3 years and one that will - in my opinion - never be resolved because the 'Jose to City' ship sailed long ago and with the new Spanish management in place whatever hypothetically slim chance Jose ever had of pitching up at City vanished overnight.

Whether by chance or design appointing Mancini proved to be the right man at the right time because Mancini has the ability to teach teams how to win and win consistently especially teams that had long forgotten how to do so. Whatever the merits or otherwise of his tactical nous, man management abilities or whatever you can't deny that we now surprised when we don't win. Results like Reading on Saturday or WBA away with a man and a goal down we have the joyous habit of snatching a result at the death.

Mancini is a better team builder than Mourinho and uses a technical approach rather than a psychological approach and seems to based on players doing it for themselves rather than 'for the manager'. Mancini does not create an intense atmosphere with his personality where players raise their game for the manager in an almost cult like state indeed it seems to be the opposite with Mancini being cooler and more detached with little personal warmth.

Mourinho's approach works best with an established winning squad that needs raising a notch or two and there is no denying the results can be spectacular. The downside is that it seems to be a two season cycle. At Chelsea and Madrid we are seeing it hit the buffers in the 3rd season with players proving increasingly resistant to the psychological drama that is a constant state with Jose.

Whatever the merits or otherwise of each man's approach I believe the Mourinho circus is just not something the owners want at City especially if they can achieve their goals of on field success without it which so far they are doing.

Of greater relevance to Mancini is the political landscape going forward and whether the new Spanish management would want a coach they feel more comfortable with ie Spanish or whether Mancini can adapt and embrace the long term philosophy of bringing youngsters through and still maintaining on field success etc., a philosophy that Mourinho would be totally unsuited foin my opinion.

Anyway I'll stop rambling...
Don't apologise for a balanced post. I don't think it's in any way a credible argument to suggest Mancini is a better manager than mourinho. By any measure he isn't. What is a more pertinent discussion is whether ADUG and our new top brass would appoint mourinho. And few know the answer. I don't think barca's decision to overlook him is necessarily a deal breaker because we are different clubs in different situations, and we know that mourinho was only pipped at the post by pep. Is pep the man city truly want and does he want us? Again, a more relevant question and one few can answer.

And of course Mancini could win the league and then we find out where adug's priorities lie.

For me one of the most important things is hearing what the players say about Roberto, and they all seem to praise him aside for a few who don't make the grade.

Yaya said in the summer that signing Mancini on to a new 5 year contract was the best signing we could make all summer. Considering Yaya has played under Pep (a manager this board seem to salivate over), makes this statement all the more relevant.

There have also been numerous other occasions where our players have sung Mancini's praise.

As I said this is a far better eye opener than the 90 minutes of things you think you've seen at a match once a week (i.e. arguments/lack of tactical nuance).

With regards to the "bringing through of youth" and people not attributing Mancini with any desire to do this, I don't agree what so ever. It's an assumption made on nothing but complete conjecture.

Youth development is something we will see more and more as the new Etihad campus opens and we invest more in young talent.

Rammy Blue said:
BobKowalski said:
An interesting discussion that has rumbled on for 3 years and one that will - in my opinion - never be resolved because the 'Jose to City' ship sailed long ago and with the new Spanish management in place whatever hypothetically slim chance Jose ever had of pitching up at City vanished overnight.

Whether by chance or design appointing Mancini proved to be the right man at the right time because Mancini has the ability to teach teams how to win and win consistently especially teams that had long forgotten how to do so. Whatever the merits or otherwise of his tactical nous, man management abilities or whatever you can't deny that we now surprised when we don't win. Results like Reading on Saturday or WBA away with a man and a goal down we have the joyous habit of snatching a result at the death.

Mancini is a better team builder than Mourinho and uses a technical approach rather than a psychological approach and seems to based on players doing it for themselves rather than 'for the manager'. Mancini does not create an intense atmosphere with his personality where players raise their game for the manager in an almost cult like state indeed it seems to be the opposite with Mancini being cooler and more detached with little personal warmth.

Mourinho's approach works best with an established winning squad that needs raising a notch or two and there is no denying the results can be spectacular. The downside is that it seems to be a two season cycle. At Chelsea and Madrid we are seeing it hit the buffers in the 3rd season with players proving increasingly resistant to the psychological drama that is a constant state with Jose.

Whatever the merits or otherwise of each man's approach I believe the Mourinho circus is just not something the owners want at City especially if they can achieve their goals of on field success without it which so far they are doing.

Of greater relevance to Mancini is the political landscape going forward and whether the new Spanish management would want a coach they feel more comfortable with ie Spanish or whether Mancini can adapt and embrace the long term philosophy of bringing youngsters through and still maintaining on field success etc., a philosophy that Mourinho would be totally unsuited for in my opinion.

Anyway I'll stop rambling...

You've failed to take into account though the relevance of Champions League performance and how much importance our owner/board may place upon it.

Not really. I'm looking at the situation as a whole rather than applicability to any one competition. Looking at Chelsea's experience they achieved their best CL results under Grant and Di Matteo whereas the managers brought in to achieve CL success didn't get close which in effect tells you sod all in my opinion except that winning the CL is as much about luck as it is about ability.

Personally I think you have to look at the best man or men to take the club forward as a whole not fret over one competition. This is not to say Mancini may not pay the price for failing to achieve CL success and if he does pay the price I'm going to stick a wedge on Platt leading us to European glory.

The whole argument over who is the better manager between Jose or Roberto is better phrased as to who is the best manager for my club in its current stage of development and where I want it to be in the medium to long term.

Roberto I think was a better choice at the time we employed him given where we were. Right now I think Jose would give us a better shot at the CL. Looking long term I may err back towards Mancini or someone else ie Pep.

As I said you have to look at the situation as a whole and where you want to be in terms of business and football model etc. Employing a manager to win one competition once, spending a fortune to do so and then watch it implode thereafter ala Inter, is great for that brief fleeting moment but makes no sense as a sustainable model for the business or football side.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Jose mentally 'checked out' of the Madrid job when he announced before our game this would be his last season.

That gave the established order at Madrid, those who perceive themselves to be the real power at the club, to agitate that little more.

Madrid is a strange club, there is a certain snobbery to their standing, certainly, a Portuguese manager riles some, simply because he is not Spanish.

We have even seen some bad vibes towards Ronaldo, which is laughable in terms of his overall contribution.

People take this piss about Rafa Benitez, but ask yourself why he is a strong contender to replace Jose, politics, simple.

Mourinho will have the last laugh because he is always thinking three steps ahead.

He's never mentally checked in in the first place, he's a god damn circus ! He is a selfish prick who only ever does anything to boost His on inflated ego. He brings no stability to a club and for all he has spent at Madrid brought 1 trophy ! 1 !!

Now he's off again !

bobmcfc said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Jose mentally 'checked out' of the Madrid job when he announced before our game this would be his last season.

That gave the established order at Madrid, those who perceive themselves to be the real power at the club, to agitate that little more.

Madrid is a strange club, there is a certain snobbery to their standing, certainly, a Portuguese manager riles some, simply because he is not Spanish.

We have even seen some bad vibes towards Ronaldo, which is laughable in terms of his overall contribution.

People take this piss about Rafa Benitez, but ask yourself why he is a strong contender to replace Jose, politics, simple.

Mourinho will have the last laugh because he is always thinking three steps ahead.

He's never mentally checked in in the first place, he's a god damn circus ! He is a selfish prick who only ever does anything to boost His on inflated ego. He brings no stability to a club and for all he has spent at Madrid brought 1 trophy ! 1 !!

Now he's off again !
Won three trophies same as Mancini

greasedupdeafguy said:
bobmcfc said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

Now he's off again !

Alright. But it still has to be said that he doesn't stick around. Anyway, I bet my lovey Xmas pudding he's going to the rags. Fergie has that all set up already

bobmcfc said:
greasedupdeafguy said:
bobmcfc said:

Now he's off again !

Alright. But it still has to be said that he doesn't stick around. Anyway, I bet my lovey Xmas pudding he's going to the rags. Fergie has that all set up already
Moyes imo will go United and Mourinho to PSG

greasedupdeafguy said:
bobmcfc said:
greasedupdeafguy said:

Moyes imo will go United and Mourinho to PSG

I feel all warm and fuzzy knowing that he's already in at old toilet. It's what Fergie wants and Fergie gets what he wants. Jose gets his big ego trip so it's all gravy...

So Mourinho taught Mancini a lesson. But in the same vein Pelligrini taught Mourinho a lesson and it is no surprise as he actually did much better in his first season at Madrid than Mourinho, losing to Barca by 1 point with a then record total for Madrid.

OK in his second season Mourinho won it but he is amking a right horlicks of his defence of the League.

As for his fanboys on here who say Mou is deliberatly burning his bridges well if true that is frankly a scandalous way to treat your employers.

I imagine BS, DD at al would be pretty unimpressed if he treated City like this just before jumping ship.

Also this much cherished mateship he develops is also a double edged sword. We all remember the teacher who tried to be mates. It always ends badly.

robbieh said:
So Mourinho taught Mancini a lesson. But in the same vein Pelligrini taught Mourinho a lesson and it is no surprise as he actually did much better in his first season at Madrid than Mourinho, losing to Barca by 1 point with a then record total for Madrid.

OK in his second season Mourinho won it but he is amking a right horlicks of his defence of the League.

As for his fanboys on here who say Mou is deliberatly burning his bridges well if true that is frankly a scandalous way to treat your employers.

I imagine BS, DD at al would be pretty unimpressed if he treated City like this just before jumping ship.

Also this much cherished mateship he develops is also a double edged sword. We all remember the teacher who tried to be mates. It always ends badly.
I think he is nailed on for the RAGS tbh,i am surprised he can speak sometimes with red noses cock in his mouth and his tongue slapping around his nuts.I bet he cant wait for their love in in the Champions League

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.