Moving Bellamy on may be a tough call Mancini has to make.

Jordie

Pinched this from Norfstander but thought it was a very good article worth sharing.

When you look back on the season which finished with a draw at Upton Park last week, most of the highlights will inevitably involve two of our attackers - Carlos Tevez, who almost bagged himself thirty goals, and Craig Bellamy - a minstrel who had for a short while appeared to have found his spiritual home.

Since joining from West Ham sixteen months ago, a move which at the time was seen as a desperate one by former boss Mark Hughes, Craig has almost certainly enjoyed his best spell as a Premier League player. Notoriously injury-prone, his body has held up quite well, and overall he's matured from an inconsistent but lively striker into a lethal play-making wideman.

Away from the pitch he had been having a quiet time of it, too. Few headlines, charming and honest on camera, never seeming less than 100% gracious to be here, and with his good work in Sierra Leone paying dividends. Indeed, it's been difficult to understand why his reputation throughout football has grown into one of a widely-derided pantomime villain.

As fans, we don't really know what goes on behind the scenes. Information is so instant nowadays that any falsity can reach a significant audience in seconds, and though most know not to trust what they read in the tabloids or on forums, some shit will always stick. How good or bad the relationship between Bellamy and Roberto Mancini is really isn't known, but you get the impression the situation is at least uneasy.

The issue of extra training being a problem for some of the senior players was an odd one. One of Mark Hughes' stronger points was allegedly his and his team's expertise in terms of fitness, and he often spoke about improving facilities, the overall shape of the squad and working hard on the more physical aspects being the scenes to see results on the pitch. As much as someone like Bellamy may need nursing through the latter stages of an injury-hit career, a monthly double-shift surely isn't that much of a manager to ask?

As well as the player's beef at having to spend a couple more hours around Carrington - a problem other squad members had, it must be said - there have been other examples of his change in mood since the managerial switch. David Moyes was said to have earned Craig's backing during the ridiculous events late on in the defeat by Everton. I've no idea whether that happened or not, but it strikes you as the sort of thing a younger, more mischievous Bellamy might get up to.

After the deflating defeat by Spurs, the fixture that ultimately cost us our Champions League hopes, there was the curious sight of a beaming Bellamy almost knocking the opposition manager out with the shine from his pearly whites after losing what would have to be classed as one of the biggest games of his career. That may have simply been honourable sportsmanship, but coming from a player hardly known for that sort of thing there have to be doubts.

The biggest signals that Craig's honeymoon period at City is over, though, have been his overall body language coupled with a decline in form. I guess you could argue that since Mancini's been in charge, and the football hasn't really flown, few have performed consistently, but i don't accept that the former Inter boss is negative, nor that his style of play isn't suited to getting the most from the likes of our number thirty-nine.

Towards the business end of the season there were several games i came away from disappointed with the Welshman's contribution. Again, he wasn't alone, but the Bellamy we saw against Spurs, Arsenal, United, Everton, to me looked one well short on he who dragged the whole side kicking and screaming earlier, and the fire in the belly isn't as apparent as it once was.

Not that the lad needs writing off. We've a squad assembled at vast wealth, and over the season he more than pulled his weight, but inconsistency does begin to make you wonder if, as a whole, given how hugely important next season is, whether Bellamy's presence around the squad makes complete sense for a manager yet to win over his troops.

At the start of this season just gone, Hughes talked to the press about establishing his "power base" at the club. During his tenure, he was allowed to be judged on his own players, prematurely, admittedly, but there were senior figures amongst the playing staff whose presence at the club undermined his position. The most obvious of those was Elano - a hugely talented mard-arse who most fans would admit we've missed this year, on the field at least.

In fairness, Roberto has been quick to play down the heat between him the two, but i have my doubts as to whether he's the sort of personality who knows when to use the carrot and when the stick with sort of livewire Bellamy certainly is. If we're to make further strides next season the squad will have to be tighter than ever, and if Craig insists on playing the naughty schoolboy then it's probably best all round if we move him on sooner rather than later. It'll be a sad day, but a move that's perhaps best all round.

if we got someone as good or better get rid imo to much of a distraction he is

but he's a good player but certinaly not irreplaceable

also can hardly play 2 games a week and train and getting old

so like i said if we get someone as good or better it aint a big decesion really

the only big decesion is who to sell him to hopefuly a club that wont be competing with us

Good call and probably not that far from the truth. The fact is that whilst Bellamy is a good player, his constant inability to settle down at a club coupled with that distructive element he posesses is indicative of someone who just cannot get on with people. He knows that irrespective of the circumstances or the argument, the next club is a mere phone call away therefore he has no loyalty to any specific club on that basis alone. Yes he's had a great season and should have had a better one notwithstanding the 4 games that mattered, but his penchant for a rumpus is not a good quality when trying to build good team spirit. I like him but I feel also that he may have some self doubt with the club's wealth so in his own head, the self protection mechanism has already kicked in waiting for that next move. Sad really but hey players come and go.

It would be a mistake by Bobby if he got rid of a happy Bellamy.

If bellamy is not happy, I say get rid asap.

Bellamy is so selfdestructive when he becomes unhappy, we really dont want him at City if he goes into meltdown mode.

There are better players then Bellamy out there, so the question becomes, is Bellamy worth the risk?

So far the answer to that quetion has been yes.

He's Not been settled since Hughes left.Khaldoon spoke in glowing terms of our manager straight after the Spurs defeat,and made it quite clear the owners confidence in his ability to take us forward.Just what everyone on here had been hoping he'd do.

If Bellamy has a problem with the manager,then bye bye Bellamy.We no longer have our hands tied in the transfer market,and although some may still have great memories of Bellamy's contribution over the past couple of seasons,he can quite simply be replaced,by a younger,better player.

I was gutted when we signed him because I never liked him. He's done really well but there are FAR better players than him that we could sign.

Agree with the OP and all others so far on this thread. Roberto has just had the full endorsement of our owners to continue as our manager. We cannot have the tail wagging the dog. Therefore, if Bellamy, Tevez or more recently Onouha are bitching about the managers personality, training methods, tactics or anything else, then they will have to be moved on. We have to get a situation where, the owners, board, management, players and fans are all pulling together to the same goal i.e. the Premiership title and CL football on a regular basis.

maineroadman said:
Agree with the OP and all others so far on this thread. Roberto has just had the full endorsement of our owners to continue as our manager. We cannot have the tail wagging the dog. Therefore, if Bellamy, Tevez or more recently Onouha are bitching about the managers personality, training methods, tactics or anything else, then they will have to be moved on. We have to get a situation where, the owners, board, management, players and fans are all pulling together to the same goal i.e. the Premiership title and CL football on a regular basis.

Have I missed something here, what has Ned said?

Haven't really ventured out of the 'It's Quiet' thread upstairs in the past couple of days...

sam221985 said:
maineroadman said:

Have I missed something here, what has Ned said?

Haven't really ventured out of the 'It's Quiet' thread upstairs in the past couple of days...

Have a look at this thread: <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=175701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=1&t=175701</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.