Mr Bates vs the Post Office

If there is any justice in this scandal jail time awaits Paula Venelles and others hopefully.
i do hope your right with this, i'd love to see that cow doing time, but the voices in my mind say never in this world because she's to high up in the establishment, she will have to many freinds in high places that will controll what kind of punishment she receives if at all any, they all piss in the same pot you see and it includes judges, police commissioners and MPs among many others

As for compensation for all these victims , it'll come from us hard working tax payers, which I don't be grudge for one moment.However, first of all those complicate (Venelles and co) need to have all their wealth and assists stripped along with immediate family members,who have probably benefited from their salaries in the past, just to give them a feeling of helplessness and abandonment. If those responsible are sent straight to jail,we again the tax payers will be paying for them to exist in Jail. Am I being too hard?

As for compensation for all these victims , it'll come from us hard working tax payers, which I don't be grudge for one moment.However, first of all those complicate (Venelles and co) need to have all their wealth and assists stripped along with immediate family members,who have probably benefited from their salaries in the past, just to give them a feeling of helplessness and abandonment. If those responsible are sent straight to jail,we again the tax payers will be paying for them to exist in Jail. Am I being too hard?
Is there anything in UK law that allows for such action unless the assets are a direct result of crime?
I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, but I'm questioning the possibility.

Is there anything in UK law that allows for such action unless the assets are a direct result of crime?
Not really. They’ve stretched the limits of proceeds of crime from crimes of dishonesty and supplying/importing drugs to include things like breaches of planning law where a gain has been made via rental income on the associated property, but even then the benefit derived is directly linked to the crime. The issue here isn’t the gain that’s been made by senior management, it’s the loss that the sub postmasters have sustained, and there is a distinction. Don’t think there’s an associated mechanism, although I could be wrong.

A criminal court has the power to award compensation against a convicted defendant so that’s a possibility I guess, but that’s usually for things like assault convictions.

Could they take them to civil court and sue these people direct, they all want to do it, take the fuckers to the cleaners.

Could they take them to civil court and sue these people direct, they all want to do it, take the fuckers to the cleaners.
Not sure there’s a cause of action. Not breach of contract as there’s no contractual relationship between the sub postmasters and the management as individuals. Not negligent misstatement as there’s been no direct representation that I can conceive of. Tort of deceit likewise. Misfeasance in public office maybe. Not sure whether they’d meet the test of being a public officer.

If they knowingly submitted misleading accounts, which increased their renumeration. They would be guilty of fraud.

i do hope your right with this, i'd love to see that cow doing time, but the voices in my mind say never in this world because she's to high up in the establishment, she will have to many freinds in high places that will controll what kind of punishment she receives if at all any, they all piss in the same pot you see and it includes judges, police commissioners and MPs among many others
I fear you may be right. But hope not.

I can understand that you can make a mistake based on incorrect evidence and prosecute people. However when you investigate the suposed issue and there are clear indications that the Horizon system was at fault, I'm simply staggered that you would choose to continue and prosecute and ruin hundreds of people's lives. Then lie about it to your minister. That to me is simply unforgiveable. Venelles and the rest of the post office management must be held to account for this shameful and criminal act.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.