Muffin or Barm

Many moons ago I used to work at Warburtons in Bolton. I've been inside packing, in the oven sections, slicing machines and delivered bread all over the Northwest. I'm qualified to comment from both sides of the street. There are 3 types that count.
BARM CAKE as used in chippys
OVEN BOTTOM great for bacon butties
FLOUR CAKE similar to a barm but with a dusting of flour. ( More of a local baker product)
Everything else doesn't count, rolls, cobs, muffins, Baps are variations on the main 3, fighting for mid table places. When Lionel comes I will offer to educate him but to be honest he can call them what the fuck he wants and I won't mind

Many moons ago I used to work at Warburtons in Bolton. I've been inside packing, in the oven sections, slicing machines and delivered bread all over the Northwest. I'm qualified to comment from both sides of the street. There are 3 types that count.
BARM CAKE as used in chippys
OVEN BOTTOM great for bacon butties
FLOUR CAKE similar to a barm but with a dusting of flour. ( More of a local baker product)
Everything else doesn't count, rolls, cobs, muffins, Baps are variations on the main 3, fighting for mid table places. When Lionel comes I will offer to educate him but to be honest he can call them what the fuck he wants and I won't mind
Liar!

55.jpg

Barm cakes are traditionally named from the original use of 'barm' - the foam from beer - in its production but that is highly unlikely to be the case today. Most products sold as barms are actually rolls or buns and have a crust that does not suit the making of a chip butty as much as an oven bottom MUFFIN (as in the picture above) with its soft top and bottom layers and generally larger diameter.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.