Cat Stevens
Al Stewart
Roy Harper
Pink Floyd
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Clifford T Ward
Peter Skellern
Et al...

Think you're a couple of years older than me, but the rockier elements on there do make my list, in particular the Stones and Floyd with the occasional foray into the Beatles and The animals catalogues

Tracks of my younger teenage years.

A list of bands I've never heard of :) I was never heavily into punk, though did and do listen to the more "mainstream" elements such as The Clash and The Stranglers. Mainstream and Punk must go down as a musical oxymoron though surely?

First tune I remember thinking "fuck me that's ace" about was Down Under by Men at Work when I was about 5 or 6.

For the next 4-5 years I soaked up lots of my parents' music - The Drifters, John Holt, Beatles, Dire Straits, loads of 50's and 60s pop, and a big dose of Country music.

Then when I was about 10 I remember being blown away by Pump up the Volume by MARRS and Beat Dis by Bomb the Bass.

These 2 just sounded like they were from another planet and I began to want to seek out my own tastes and find "my" music rather than the diet my parents had raised me on.

1989-91 came along and whacked me in the face. I was immersed in "Madchester" but was also listening to to loads of pirate radio stations that were churning out "mix tape" nights, house nights and ragga nights.

By age 14 I had a really wide understanding of music. Pretty ridiculous for my age tbh. I then started to see how it all "fit together" and how all music influences other music. How genres grow out of genres, how "threads" can be heard when you listen to a wide range of music and how you can tell which bands have influenced other bands.
Love it.

My dad played Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly and the Beach Boys in the car continuously and now I love all their songs and have them on my music player.

You must have listened to Sunset102 with the 808 state lads? Every Monday night was it? And there was Stu Allan on key103 who presented Bus Diss in the late 80s.

My teens?
Here we go
Small Faces
The Kinks
The Animals
The Stones
The Beatles
Chris Farlowe
Simon Dupree and the Big Sound
The Bonzos
The Incredible String Band
Donovan
Cat Stevens
Al Stewart
Roy Harper
Pink Floyd
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Clifford T Ward
Peter Skellern
Et al...
No mention of Manchester groups like the loveable Herman and Hermits?

One of my lockdown afternoon delights was revisiting 80's albums from the likes of Fine Young Cannibals, China Crisis, Thompson Twins, Level 42, Echo and the Bunnymen, Madonna (don't judge me), The Smiths, U2 before they disappeared up their own arse, NWA, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, LL Cool J

One of my lockdown afternoon delights was revisiting 80's albums from the likes of Fine Young Cannibals, China Crisis, Thompson Twins, Level 42, Echo and the Bunnymen, Madonna (don't judge me), The Smiths, U2 before they disappeared up their own arse, NWA, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, LL Cool J
Quality band, love them.

Conversely I listened to Simple Minds almost non stop during the eighties, I thought the lyrics were so profound and spoke to me at a level I didn't quite understand but yearned for the enlightenment that would surely come with age and experience... I have found out now I'm 50 is that it was fucking nonsense words thrown against a decent melody with a decent tag line (hook) that gave it faux depth. I would have cut my shoulder length hair off and really got into an upcoming little genre called Hip Hop if I hadn't been quite the little pretentious arsehole in hindsight.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.