Music Is Dead

Re: Music Is Dead!!!

M22 Blue said:
there's plenty of quality music out there you just need to look in the right places, chart music is abysmal and always has been.

No it hasn't, that sounds like elitist nonsense. So The Beatles, Stones, Presley, Sinatra, Aretha Franklin, Buddy Holly, or whoever your particular choice of chart topper is are all shit? It's a subjective topic anyway, some may think the choices on here are dire, some may not.

des hardi said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5FW8Xo8ENo&feature=related[/youtube]

Yeah, the Black Keys are all reet Des. I think in my rage and dispair i've probably worded my point badly as i tend to do that. My real concern, the thing that really bugs me, Is that this kind of quality music is in the shadows. It should be the other way around. There is no way people can tell me Twats like David Guetta and whatever the latest X-Factor garbage is are comparable to REAL musicians crafting great songs. There is an imeasurable gulf in talent and quality. It's like people favouring Emile Heskey over Lio Messi.

People will try and say it's all "Subjective" and it's "not doing any harm"... But it is, and i will never understand why people will accept mediocrity in music.

The kids who will be referring to people like Guetta as 'legends' will only have been influenced by their parents.

My dad is my main musical influence and he's the reason why I love the sort of music that I do.

Good music will always be produced and there will always be the shite that goes with it, it's happened in every generation and will continue to do so.

I don't think there'll be another Pink Floyd or Rolling Stones or The Beatles because they themselves were unique to a particular era in time, akin to what Oasis were in the early 90's (although Oasis aren't on the same level as the 3 mentioned previously imo)

Keep believing mate, music never ever dies

BlakeTheBlue said:
I thought for years i was just an old snob but no, real quality crafted Music really has passed on. Just a beautiful memory now it seems. The victim of a selfish quick fix society too self absorbed or trampled down to care.

Every generation looks to the one before for inspiration in the artwork of the future. What in gods name will the next generation have to look back on? David Guetta? Rhianna?... Fucking Coldplay at Best!

We need to change this now before it's too late. Re releasing great old songs at christmas in protest to the evil of manufactured pop simpley isn't enough. We need to boycot this shit on mass. People don't realize the importance Art, Music especialy, plays in a young persons development. If they are saturated with X-factor mediocrity 24/7 then it will have a detrimental effect on the rest of their lives... We can already see the effects, It's a much more self centred society now than ever. A cultures music says a lot about who we are. What do you think modern music says about us?

I will leave you with a little gift:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKB63Z7CbOM[/youtube]

This is the very hight of what we are capable of as a species, He makes this work of genius look effortless. If this doesn't prove my point and stir your soul then i fear we truelly are lost.

Wow that David Gilmour is a talent and a half. I've actually never hear of him until now, but that's not surprising, and the reason why that isn't surprising leads nicely onto my point....

Music is dead? Rubbish. I truly feel sorry for you if your experiences are so narrowed that all you know is television and mainstream-promoted music.

TV... as much as it tries to lead you to believe... is not reality. There are over 6 billion people on the planet. A lot of them listen to music. Some of them create music.

Less than 0.1% of them are on the telly!

Still, I agree that music and culture have a deep effect on the development of society. When you consider that, the state of pop music, right now, is terrifying.

firstly i ignore all mediums because they all have their own individual agendas, favours for favours kinda muck.(plugs/ on interviews/ reviews etc.)

there are no modern day radio caroline /radio luxemburg,however online stations and websites which give great indications of similar music/genres are where it s at.

so instead of getting bogged down on the whole scene (TV /radio)-ignore it.... if everybody does the same the music scene will come looking for you or what inspires you.....

I.e. the new tony blackburn!!! as an example! ;)

i agree with you.... but i just changed my ways and now i m far from sad about the music scene. if you look in the right places i d say there is far too much good music out there....and its hard to keep up with!!! i am not complaining!!! ;)

BBC 6 Music is the place to start. Mark Riley 7-9pm followed by Gideon Coe 9-12pm Monday - Thursday. You'll hear some cracking stuff from those two. Sunday afternoons/evenings are usually good as well with Jarvis Cocker, Huey Morgan, The Freak Zone and Guy Garvey all playing some good stuff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.