Music Is Dead

Re: Music Is Dead!!!

Ardwick AFC said:
What a load of bollix, when the beatles and the stones were around there were still bubble gum 3 minute pops songs swamping the charts. When Bowie was around there was all the glam rock shite with Gary Glitter et al. The good stuff has always been a little under the radar. Things are no different now.

Infact, with itunes and internet downloading, people have more access to alternative or quality music than ever before. You don't have to go trawling through obscure record stores anymore.

Things are miles better now, you're just getting old and tired.

Really?...

In the 60' the Stones, Beatles, The Kinks, Bob Dylan, plus tons more... The 70's Floyd, Led Zep, The Jam, Neil Young, plus tons more... The 80's The Smiths, The Stone Roses, New Order, Dire Straits, plus tons more... The 90' (best era since the 70's imo) Blur, Radiohead, Pulp, The Manics... Plus tons and tons more..... All groops in the mainstream eduacting the young masses on what great music is.

The last decade going into this one??? Coldpay? Kings Of Leon? The Killers? Mediocre at best, vastly out numbered by disposable shit. Now adays you really do have to dig deep. It should be the other way around.

Completely off topic but It's the same thing with the food the masses buy in Britain. The fresh fruit and Veg etc, the healthy good stuff is priced through the roof where as the junk shite is buy one for 50p get 10 free... do the powers that be want the lower classes educated and healthy? do they fuck!

ban-mcfc said:
fuck! at least you had something decent whilst being a youngster. i can only go and watch kasabian or the arctic monkeys so many times.

being 19 years old nowadays is harder than you think.

i'm listening to this right now, how i'd kill for something like it to be released this week....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxckkOwQN_I&feature=fvsr[/youtube]

My case in point mate. Must be shite being a kid these days!

des hardi said:
Teabag Express said:
i dare you to tell me this isn't creative/awesome/perfect.
Walk off the earth - a band from Toronto Canada.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9NF2edxy-M[/youtube]
it s also a cover! ;)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY[/youtube]

ahah yeah but it's nice as fuck!

60's - Dylan, Beatles, Rolling Stones

70's - Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, David Bowie

80's - The Smiths, Queen, AC/DC

90's - Oasis, Oasis, Oasis

00 to present - ? Struggle to think who could compete alongside the above

MCFC BOB said:
Markt85 said:

Arctic Monkeys.

Nope, massive debut album and now very much gone off the scene. you really think they will be remembered in 10,20 years like the above ? They had a lot of promise but no substance.

Markt85 said:
MCFC BOB said:
Markt85 said:

Arctic Monkeys.

Nope, massive debut album and now very much gone off the scene. you really think they will be remembered in 10,20 years like the above ? They had a lot of promise but no substance.
You make a good point about them disappearing from the scene in terms of them making the UK Top 10, but they're still selling out stadium tours and selling records like there's no tomorrow.

My problem with incredibly commercially successful music today (Top 40) is that it is mainly focused on the marketable female artist (and that any band that makes the top 40 today (Coldplay) becomes so fundamentally boring), with the only expections being Lady Gaga, Beyonce and Florence Welch if I'm being honest. The music they create might be similar to a lot of stuff we see in the charts today, but there's a hint of originality and talent about Gaga's music, a hint of "indie" and experimental about Florence's, and a hint of 60s soul about Beyoncé's that makes me appreciate and enjoy it a lot more than I appreciate Adele's music for example. You listen to this and tell me that Beyonce isn't the complete pop artist:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob7vObnFUJc&ob=av2e[/youtube]

Then you do get accomplished musicians like Ed Sheeran, who is grade 8 at guitar, yet he uses this ability to write absolute drivel like "You Need Me, I Don't Need You" so that he appeals to the most impressionable demographic on the planet - teenagers. You also get artists like Justin Bieber, who is incredibly talented: he's self-taught at guitar, drums, piano and has a vocal range I would kill for, but he was captured by the music industry before he was old and mature enough to say 'no', and now he's adored by five year olds.

Basically, the Top 40 is primarily aimed at people between the ages of 5 - 25, when it used to be aimed at absolutely everyone. I don't agree with people that say "real music" is only composed on guitars by a full band, because some masterpieces have been composed with computers and nothing else, but there's something missing from the UK Top 40, and that's variety. As has been previously stated, when the Beatles were around, there was shit to go with it. You look back now and see what those shit records were, and you've seen them form their own genre - 'cheese'. But now, it's mainly shit records and shit to go with it, which is what annoys me.

Here, some good music created entirely by a computer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOHLeXxfNu0[/youtube]

Depends on your interpretation of 'good music'. There are a lack of media promoted rock groups of any sheer top class quality, closest is Arctic Monkeys. There is a lot of quality rap out there right now, hidden granted, but it is there and clear to see with the help of a few blogs. Rock, just seems to be on the back burner, which is a shame as it is my favourite genre of music and extends the most into different varieties. Folk rock seems to be on the up, Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes and Noah and the Whale to an extent. Bob Dylan will be the pinnacle of lyricism in that genre however, never be surpassed for me.

Citizenhill said:
Depends on your interpretation of 'good music'. There are a lack of media promoted rock groups of any sheer top class quality, closest is Arctic Monkeys. There is a lot of quality rap out there right now, hidden granted, but it is there and clear to see with the help of a few blogs. Rock, just seems to be on the back burner, which is a shame as it is my favourite genre of music and extends the most into different varieties. Folk rock seems to be on the up, Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes and Noah and the Whale to an extent. Bob Dylan will be the pinnacle of lyricism in that genre however, never be surpassed for me.
Summed up nicely.

Hidden, quality rap:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQGhUnFnvS4&feature=related[/youtube]

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.