Muslim women must learn English

Brits complaining about others not speaking a foreign language. Height of irony. Most of you guys would struggle to order a beer in a foreign countey without gesticulation.

We've got one of the worst track records for speaking a second language in the world. And it's created cultural distance and thus political and economic distance from many of our partners. Though it's no one but the government's fault, in terms of education our general standard is extremely low. Particularly in things that require effort and intellect rather than the advertising/media/humanities degrees people like to jump aboard now a days.

Now, on the actual stance. I think it's a good idea to invest more in cultural integration for migrants. I think more should be invested in ensuring they can feel a part of society and less polarised and more should be done to prevent the indigenous population for making them feel polarised. I think the sanctions stuff is stupid, negative reinforcement simply doesn't work as a motivation technique. But creating an environment where positive reinforcement and the reward of achievement and learning will certainly allow people to want to take part in this.

Until migrants feel like they are coming somewhere which allows opportunity and doesn't feel like such a polarised society, there will always be tensions between migrants and indigenous.

So it works both ways imo. Invest in this and invest in better education across the board so that both migrants and brits can learn how to live with each other

Who is saying otherwise? Anybody who wishes to settle in another country should learn the language, irrespective of their nationality.
Correct, unless of course you are a traditionalist and chain your partner to the sink , then give her a slap or a few lashes if she want's to work or further her life.

Brits complaining about others not speaking a foreign language. Height of irony. Most of you guys would struggle to order a beer in a foreign countey without gesticulation.

We've got one of the worst track records for speaking a second language in the world. And it's created cultural distance and thus political and economic distance from many of our partners. Though it's no one but the government's fault, in terms of education our general standard is extremely low. Particularly in things that require effort and intellect rather than the advertising/media/humanities degrees people like to jump aboard now a days.

Now, on the actual stance. I think it's a good idea to invest more in cultural integration for migrants. I think more should be invested in ensuring they can feel a part of society and less polarised and more should be done to prevent the indigenous population for making them feel polarised. I think the sanctions stuff is stupid, negative reinforcement simply doesn't work as a motivation technique. But creating an environment where positive reinforcement and the reward of achievement and learning will certainly allow people to want to take part in this.

Until migrants feel like they are coming somewhere which allows opportunity and doesn't feel like such a polarised society, there will always be tensions between migrants and indigenous.

So it works both ways imo. Invest in this and invest in better education across the board so that both migrants and brits can learn how to live with each other
بيرة واحدة من فضلك
How's that?

it shouldn't be just muslim women who should speak the language ,anyone who wishes to live in a foreign country should want to speak the lingo, wherever I go on holiday I shout slowly in english seems to do the trick :)

I want two beers, ive got the shits wheres the toilet ?, how much love :)

Of course one of the main reasons that some English speakers don't study other languages is that English is pretty much spoken everywhere and so they have never had the need. An Italian or Norwegian would have to learn English to be able to communicate on his travels/for work etc.

Having said that many English speakers do have some knowledge of a language or two and make an effort with foreign languages.

I don't think it's unreasonable to be expected to be able to communicate in the language of the country where you intend on living. I'm not sure what the issue is as this has been a requirement for living in the UK for some years now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.