My new dog

Well done mate. we bought a pure breed swiss shepherd this time last year, found out last week that one of his siblings has been used to breed by an opportunist, crossed with a poodle and selling pups for $6K. We bought ours for $2.5k. The dog would only be 13months old. Absolute disgusting and should be illegal (not not if it is or not).
Buying pure breeds keeps puppy farms going , always rescue animals instead

One week ago, we adopted a dog from a Swansea based rescue centre. We have named her Bess and she is a former breeding woman from a puppy farm that was closed down by police and animal welfare. She is just two years old and already has been forced to have at least two litters. She has never experienced the joy of a walk and has been fed kibble soaked in water to make her feel full. She was malnourished, infested with mange and has boobs down to her knees. She would not allow any human contact but has now settled into a forever home with us and our dog, Blue, (from the 'our new foster dog thread) who has been an absolute star in teaching her how to be a dog and that she will be loved. She has made huge progress in just one week.

I have attached a photograph from the rescue centre (she was there just one week) and a few throughout the week at our home. Before you spend £4k on a designer dog please realise that this may be the impact of your purchase and ensure you see both parents of any puppy you are considering.

Well done Sir :)

Buying pure breeds keeps puppy farms going , always rescue animals instead
A sweeping statement but in the current landscape you are not far wrong.
There are reputable breeders that have been breeding for years and are dog lovers, but I would guess that not too many people currently buying puppies because their kids are bored are doing the research or are too bothered where the dog is coming from, unfortunately.

My big fella Clyde. Rescued from Crete. Dumped in a cement bag and left in a riverbed to die with his sister Bonnie when he was a few months old. We adopted him at 4 months old. Cannot tell you how much this fella means to us....

6DC3DB17-6A4A-42FE-B7D1-40A484369093.jpeg

Last edited:
Clyde’s brother from another mother...... Also known as Ossie, twattybollocks, the Boo, wherethefuckishe, and a few other terms of endearment. Clyde is gentle, considered and calm. Whereas this fellas working genes kick in as soon as you venture outside. Here he is on a gentle jog. As soon as we are back home he switches to quiet, sleepy mode. Love him to bits....

E5C3F3E8-99EE-4AA7-876E-D979F5425D2D.jpeg

Unfortunately the Lockdowns and furloughs have led to an explosion in dogs and dog owners that haven't thought out the long term commitment required. I've always been a dog lover and i had to say goodbye to my dog of 15 years a few months ago', an Australian Cattle Dog called Donk. Best dog i've ever had and if i ever had another dog i would go for a rescue. Sadly, i'm coming out of this lockdown wanting to go places and see things and having a dog would be too restrictive for us. In the interim we're looking at becoming dog sitters.
Sorry to hear that mate, had to let one of mine go about 4-5 months ago too, being honest, he was fuckin hard work, even people I knew who were huge dog lovers called him a nightmare, but even so, so many funny stories, and as he got older (and slower) he was a really lovely dog to have.

We've always had two dogs so they've got company but lost one suddenly in February last year, just before lock down hit. Our Riley was seriously depressed so we started looking around. Every single rescue dog up here in Scotland (in drivable range) was listed as a single dog only as they wouldn't put up with another dog in the house. We eventually bought a Shiz Tzu puppy for £550 which is the most by a long chalk we've ever paid and is the first pure breed we've ever had.

Would have happily had a mongrel rescue but just couldn't find one. In fact mongrels seem pretty much none existent (or did for a long while anyway) as they neutered all rescues before releasing around here.

Clyde’s brother from another mother...... Also known as Ossie, twattybollocks, the Boo, wherethefuckishe, and a few other terms of endearment. Clyde is gentle, considered and calm. Whereas this fellas working genes kick in as soon as you venture outside. Here he is on a gentle jog. As soon as we are back home he switches to quiet, sleepy mode. Love him to bits....

View attachment 12780
Mine was exactly like that mate but a Beagle, people used to think his name was 'Youlittletwat' or 'Youfuckinbastard' ;-)

Nearly two weeks in and Bess's physical and mental development is moving at pace.
ee28099dec32a7f19321bc9b7fcef723.jpg
Two lovely dogs mate. You can already see the spark returning to Bess's eyes. Take a bow mate, what you have done is brilliant.

Unfortunately the Lockdowns and furloughs have led to an explosion in dogs and dog owners that haven't thought out the long term commitment required. I've always been a dog lover and i had to say goodbye to my dog of 15 years a few months ago', an Australian Cattle Dog called Donk. Best dog i've ever had and if i ever had another dog i would go for a rescue. Sadly, i'm coming out of this lockdown wanting to go places and see things and having a dog would be too restrictive for us. In the interim we're looking at becoming dog sitters.
Great breed of dog.
Took a friend and her son to dogs home and picked what we thought was a mongrel. Five years later my mate is trekking up a mountain somewhere and a farmer shouts him over. He says how nice the dog is and then takes mate to his farm. They walk into the barn and there's a woman with her litter of Cattle dogs.
My mate went back 2 weeks later and got a puppy for nowt. The pup is now an adult. Never been on a lead, goes everywhere with the owner who is a big walker and is probably the most loyal and smart dog i've ever known.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.