Naomi Osaka refusing to speak to the media - Is she right or wrong?

so absolutely nothing to do with her race as @Bigga is desperate to make out.

she suffers anxiety and depression and it must be daunting to face media questions - that is totally understandable- why on earth could this not have been dealt privately with the organisers.

Good on her by the way.

Look, you clown, where did I say it was because she was Black?

And you clowns liking his comments also can't read!

I said she's been under media scrutiny since she rose to the top of the game for one reason or another, mostly because of her 'uniqueness'!

And, of course, having social anxieties does nothing for her when she has to face the same people day in, day out.

She's being 'kind' about the press cos if they were truly supportive, they'd have given her some space and understanding.

Change jobs then. Millions of people go to work and have to deal with lots of situations they'd rather not have to, but if they want paying they have no choice.

If part of her obligations, or job responsibility, is to give interviews in return for being paid good money for competing in tournaments then she has to do so. If not give up professional tennis and play for fun and no cash at her local tennis club. Her choice.
This^. She is being a bit precious, to say the least.

I've since seen her statement and if true then yes it must be tough dealing with anxiety. You don't get to the top in elite sport though without mental toughness and determination, surely a few interviews she could cope with? Sadly if she can't then like lots of people suffering from similar conditions she has to find a vocation where she feels comfortable.

Technically speaking, as we don't know the true extent of her issues, she's on 'the spectrum' with her anxieties. Should she quite her job because of it?

Do you have or know anybody on the spectrum? Do you/ would you tell them to change jobs?

She has depression; should she jack it all in, then?

Actually, there's a thread on depression on the forum. Perhaps you should go in there and announce us all as 'precious' and to 'get over it'??

There are some right idiots on here, at times!

I think that she's done the right thing for herself and the tournament. Neither side has covered themselves in glory here. Her timing on the original announcement was terrible and she also admits that but the WTA have been far from understanding over the situation.

I'm sure conflicting emotions over the Olympics hasn't helped either. She is after all one of the faces being used to promote the event (no idea if she had a say in that or not) and she has publicly expressed that she doesn't want them to go ahead due to the pandemic.

I hope she can get some help and some serious thought is put into dealing with the issues that have been raised.

The response to this has been really quite unpleasant in the media and from Roland Garos and the other grand slams.

Immediately threatening to suspend and expel her, immediately deciding it was fake because she simply didn't want to do some press conferences.

I think they're pretty fortunate she's a quiet, shy, person who just wants to avoid a furore because there's a lot of personalities in tennis that would have blown this up and taken the fight back to them.

Technically speaking, as we don't know the true extent of her issues, she's on 'the spectrum' with her anxieties. Should she quite her job because of it?

Do you have or know anybody on the spectrum? Do you/ would you tell them to change jobs?

She has depression; should she jack it all in, then?

Actually, there's a thread on depression on the forum. Perhaps you should go in there and announce us all as 'precious' and to 'get over it'??

There are some right idiots on here, at times!

I really do think there are those who think that the best way to deal with this sort of thing as a sports person is just have a good stiff drink and get on with it....... I mean never did George Best or Gazza any harm did it? Arm chair psychoanalysts ffs

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.