Nasri in the top 10 worst signings

Funny, but in January the Daily Mirror appearsed to disagree, and used ACTUAL FACTS to back up their claim! And, as we all know, he has been completely shit since then....oh wait, he has got BETTER as the season has gone on!!

Manchester City midfielder Samir Nasri will be back to haunt old foes Tottenham in Sunday's first v third showdown.

After suffering a mid-season dip in form, the £24million summer signing from Arsenal star has rediscovered his touch to become officially the most effective playmaker in the Premier League.

Nasri destroyed Spurs on his City debut at White Hart Lane last August, setting up three goals in a 5-1 win.

He may have lost out on the man-of-the-match bubbly to four-goal Edin Dzeko that day, but the France international certainly served notice of the devastating threat he can pose when on top form.

Since that day however, Nasri has found it hard to nail down a regular spot under boss Roberto Mancini, even though the stats confirm his status as the Premier League's most frequent supplier of chances.

The Frenchman has been a source of frustration for Mancini at times - a player blessed with intelligent passing and elegant movement, but also one who can be guilty of drifting onto the periphery of games.

While Nasri is accomplished going forward, the Italian's concerns over the 24-year-old's defensive contributions have seen him overlooked for games against Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool.

The stats show that Nasri creates a chance every 23.7 minutes played - a better rate than those of team-mate David Silva, Chelsea's Juan Mata, Gareth Bale of Spurs and Manchester United's Ryan Giggs.

But Mancini wants him to make an even greater contribution to City's push for the title.

"Nasri is a champion, a top, top player - but I think he can do more," he said.

"When you change clubs, sometimes you can have a problem, but I would like him to play better, because he is a top player."

Despite his clear contribution to the team's success, sporadic flashes of quality like those Nasri has produced this season are not enough to satisfy a perfectionist like Mancini.

England winger Adam Johnson is another of City's players to suffer under the Italian's hardline approach.

Only last month Nasri admitted he needed to improve the defensive aspect of his game, adding more discipline to his creative talents, with Mancini not prepared to indulge players with no concept of graft as well as guile, despite the attacking threat they may possess.

City face a huge test over the next few weeks in coping without key midfielder Yaya Toure, who, along with team-mate and brother Kolo, is on African Cup of Nations duty with Ivory Coast.

While City would appear to have enough cover in defence so as not to miss Kolo, the same cannot be said for Yaya, current African Footballer of the Year, whose influence on Mancini's side is huge.

Kolo admitted it was a wrench to leave City at such a crucial stage of the title race, but claimed he and Yaya had no choice but to abandon their club for a month to fulfil their international obligations.

"When you leave your club it's always very difficult," said Kolo. But we need to play for our country and try to do as well as we can.

"It's tough, but we are in a situation where the countries always win, and for us it's difficult."

Despite his and Yaya's enforced absence, Kolo claimed City's squad is strong enough to cope without them and stay on course for the title.

"There are some great players in the team," said Kolo. "Recent results have been tough but we have a great squad of players and I know that those players and the manager are really strong - they will get more good results.

"I'm looking forward to hopefully winning the Premier League again. I won it with Arsenal and would be so glad to win it with Manchester City as well."

OPPORTUNITIES KNOCK: PREM'S TOP CHANCE CREATORS

Player Chances Mins played Mins per chance

Nasri, Man City 43 1018 23.7

Mata, Chelsea 60 1457 24.3

Giggs, Man United 26 663 25.5

Silva Man City 59 1610 27.3

He always seemed too laid back to me,like he didn't have the hunger,but of late he has stepped up his game,he still does things that irk me though,like strolling off the pitch when being subbed up at newcastle when the scoreline was still 0-0 with less than 30 minutes left to play.

good signing..great player.

just needs that full pre-season training under his belt. he will take off next season.

love to see confident players on the ball. Nasri has a great touch and fantastic close control..any pass to him is instantly killed dead with his first touch..watching him take the ball to the fullback with his head up looking for movement, looking for a killer pass ..its brilliant to watch.
when we first brought nasri the word was that he was going to improve our ball retention in the final third..he has done that..opposing defenders must have nightmares when facing the movement and technique of our front four...nasri is doing fine, but next season he will be even better.

Started off slow, but he has now settled & has become a true squad player. Whether he is playing, on the bench or gets subbed. Like the rest of the squad he just gets on with it. Great to see the squad getting on. This goes along way to having a winning mentality.

He practically starts every game now!!
He s a great signing. Last year, Silva was the main forward dribbler who allowed City to have possession. It was great, but u cud tell he could not do that job alone. Now with Nasri, We have like two silvas and its amazing. The game is better and our possession rate is highest in the Prem.

Great signing!! Vive les français et Hollande! =P

What a joke, hasn't even had a full season and is already showing much improvement, not to mention he has improved on every stat I can think of since joining us, think he matched his goal tally in what 5 matches for us?

If anything Nasri improved here.

Lool at this statistic :
OptaJoe
9 - Samir Nasri now has more PL assists this season for Man City than he did in his entire spell at Arsenal (7). Crafty.

The only thing that he didn't excel at was scoring goals, but he still scored some important ones. Scored in some very tight games against spurs for example and specially
scored that hugely crucial goal against Chelsea. Don't think we'd still be in the title race if Nasri have Nasri not performed like he did versus Chelsea.

I've no doubt about him improving even more next year.

He's had a nice season and stepped up at some very important moments. I think it was a wise decision to sign him and let the rags get Young.

Thats a load of bull..Nasri is a good signing .He is playing out of his position but next season Mancini will bring the best of him .Don't buy all the negativity from the press

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.