Nathan Ake

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Stones has had about 6-9 months (if that) where he was at the level we want him to be, over the 48 months he’s been here. He isn’t turning any corner. Not here. He needs something new.

Stones unfortunately - and I have nothing against him - just isn’t mentally resilient enough to play at the very top level. Pep knows that - that’s why he protects him from the most brutal strikers who he knows will out psych him in big games. Stones has lots of attributes and is technically good but he’s not cut out to play at the very top. A drop down to a mid table side and England caps outside of knockout rounds at major tournaments and he’ll be fine but for City in big PL and CL games - I’m sorry he’s just not resilient enough. I can’t comment on whether Ake is but I’d be hoping in most cases our two first choice CBs would be playing.

Stones unfortunately - and I have nothing against him - just isn’t mentally resilient enough to play at the very top level. Pep knows that - that’s why he protects him from the most brutal strikers who he knows will out psych him in big games. Stones has lots of attributes and is technically good but he’s not cut out to play at the very top. A drop down to a mid table side and England caps outside of knockout rounds at major tournaments and he’ll be fine but for City in big PL and CL games - I’m sorry he’s just not resilient enough. I can’t comment on whether Ake is but I’d be hoping in most cases our two first choice CBs would be playing.

It’s not simply a case of between the ears with Stones, he’s also not developed enough physically. When Falcao bullied him in 2017, it was clear he needed to develop greater upper body strength, but last year he again looked weak playing for England when up against De Ligt and dithered for the final goal, which was similar to his dithering at Norwich away.

Not saying we want Claudio Gentile playing for us, but Stones has only picked up 2 bookings in 107 League games. Laporte has 5 in 58. At the top level you just need more aggression.

I see United and Chelsea are showing interest in Ake now, and Ake is keeping his options open. Oh well.

I think we should be mindful both Garcia and Laporte have Puyol as their agent. They are primarily here for Pep. Once Pep moves on I expect Puyol to try to get both to Barca. We are already hearing noises about Barca moving for Garcia and press leaks he wants to go there.

Pep is the best tactician in management but he is not always the best with his inter personal skills. It's true Stones has had extensive injury issues but another problem seems to be his mental issues. Under different management Stones might come good again in the future? I suppose it depends how long Pep is likely to manage us, hopefully he'll extend?

I was a big fan of Stones, when he is on form he is absolutely top class and on paper should make an ideal partner for Laporte. He has everything - height, bit of pace, great on the ball, can tackle. None of this is missing with him.

His big problem is - similar to Bravo - it feels like he's been found out and forwards can sense blood with him. He can be bullied and be forced into mistakes. And you can see it does affect him. He's not mentally resilient and great players have it in spades. Players like Kompany, Zaba, Yaya, Aguero, Silva etc just aren't intimidated by stadiums, players, mistakes etc.

Great players - Ederson for example - realise they made a mistake and move on within seconds. It seems like Stones has them in his head for a quite a while after.

I still like him and wanted to see him really grow into the team this season. For whatever reason, it's not worked out for him. We should shake his hand, wish him all the very best and let him to go Arsenal and have a go at rebuilding a stalled career. I'm sure there will be the odd purple patch where we think "what if we'd have kept him" but Koulibaly, Laporte, Ake and Garcia are - unfortunately - better than Stones (I know we've not signed Kouli or Ake yet!).

I think he will grow under Arteta, but let's be honest he's not in the Kompany, Laporte, Koulibaly mould.

I see United and Chelsea are showing interest in Ake now, and Ake is keeping his options open. Oh well.
Well Ake is 1/6 to come to City and 12/1 to go to Rags n Chelsea respectively, so fill your boots if you don't reckon he's coming here..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.