Nations League Good or Bad ?

The only extra games are for group A winners who will play 2 games semi & final 3rd place playoff when they might have previously just had 1 friendly. Given how shite international friendlies are I think its an improvement and games are against similar teams in a group format given player exposure
to these mini league in a semi competitive environment. If Croatia can beat Spain then the England Croatia game could actually have meaning and be a decent game.

The one thing they need to work on is making the format more understandable. I actually get why it's a three team group, as there'd be too many games otherwise, but it's still hopelessly confusing as to who does what and when. Maybe we'll get used to it, but in principle I love how the matches have an air of tournament sudden death about them.

They still train, they still have to learn a game plan, then they have to go out and perform at the highest level.
They are top level sportsmen, being asked to be in tip top condition all the time, no rest, no long weekends to chill out, finish one game and it’s right into preparation for the next.

That's their job though, they should be able to play one game a week at that level all season long without needing constant rest.

The problem comes when they're also being asked to play meaningless international friendlies, endless Europa League games and mid-week cup replays.

You can also add some of the qualifiers against teams that are just making up the numbers.

Scrap those rather than international games that actually matter.

3 international breaks before Christmas is an utter joke. Just a way of uefa trying to keep themselves relevant and steer away from any corruption or scandal etc.
So by the end of November the Premier League will have given up/lost 27 days to international breaks since the start of the season.
Then the international manager will complain players are fatigued etc. Sorry but this is due to fixture congestion caused by pointless international fixtures - renamed from "friendly" to "nations league - uefa needs more cash"
I think a lot more players will start to retire from international duty earlier to extend their club careers (who pays your wages?)

The one thing they need to work on is making the format more understandable. I actually get why it's a three team group, as there'd be too many games otherwise, but it's still hopelessly confusing as to who does what and when. Maybe we'll get used to it, but in principle I love how the matches have an air of tournament sudden death about them.

I don't understand why people find the format confusing.

The four top teams in Group A play each other in the semi-finals, the bottom team gets relegated, middle team stays put.

In Group B downwards, the top team gets promoted, bottom team gets relegated, middle team stays put when the draw is made for the next Nations League competition.

It's like league football with play-offs in the top division to decide the winner.

I was a sceptic, but I do think the games have improved, using this format.
The biggest improvement over friendlies, (apart from the standard of football) is the lack of 7 subs per game, so the coach has to think about it, rather than pander to club coaches every time.

Also, by grouping the lesser countries together they can now win games, potentially get promoted to a better group, so brings improvement at the lower end too, and those threatened with relegation should look to improve as well.

I don't understand why people find the format confusing.

The four top teams in Group A play each other in the semi-finals, the bottom team gets relegated, middle team stays put.

In Group B downwards, the top team gets promoted, bottom team gets relegated, middle team stays put when the draw is made for the next Nations League competition.

It's like league football with play-offs in the top division to decide the winner.

Fine so far as that goes. And then you add backdoor qualification to the Euros into it.

3 international breaks before Christmas is an utter joke. Just a way of uefa trying to keep themselves relevant and steer away from any corruption or scandal etc.
So by the end of November the Premier League will have given up/lost 27 days to international breaks since the start of the season.
Then the international manager will complain players are fatigued etc. Sorry but this is due to fixture congestion caused by pointless international fixtures - renamed from "friendly" to "nations league - uefa needs more cash"
I think a lot more players will start to retire from international duty earlier to extend their club careers (who pays your wages?)
This isn't a change though is it? We always have 3 sets of international Pre Christmas.

When Chelsea were out of Europe they won the league at a canter. When they rested players to finish 7th they won the champions league. Players burnout and get tired. How many times has Kompany and Vertonghen got injured on international duty?

The shake up is good because friendlies are notoriously boring, but so little reward busting a gut in this odd competition

Indeed. @SpiritofBurnden this would be my reply to your reply to me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.