Navas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some folks just don't watch the game. It is bleeding obvious to anyone who does that Navas was 100% going for goal. Firstly, there was nobody in the box close to being positioned for a cross. Secondly, as soon as he hit it, you can see him watching the trajectory to see if it hits the target. And thirdly, his reaction to the goal was spontaneous. Not a "wow, I wasn't aiming for that, but I'll take it". But a "yes, I did it!" look of triumph. And a rather neat vault of the corner flag too :)

Just like many wingers of similar style he isn't the best when the team is static or when he gets the ball from a standing start.

We played more or less on the counter yesterday and that's when he comes into his own, when he's running onto the ball.

Pellegrini needs to bite the bullet and use this strategy against teams we have trouble with away that we KNOW will park the bus against us. I think it's arrogant and it's proved ineffective to think that we can impose the one style at all times, dismissing lower ranked clubs by not tailoring our style to their play.

Using rope a dope against teams like Sunderland & Stoke brings us down a notch but I can almost guarantee it'll prove much more effective than just dominating possession and trying to find a gap through a compressed 10 man wall. We've tried that time and time again, it doesn't work and needs to be changed.

lasereyes said:
Some folks just don't watch the game. It is bleeding obvious to anyone who does that Navas was 100% going for goal. Firstly, there was nobody in the box close to being positioned for a cross. Secondly, as soon as he hit it, you can see him watching the trajectory to see if it hits the target. And thirdly, his reaction to the goal was spontaneous. Not a "wow, I wasn't aiming for that, but I'll take it". But a "yes, I did it!" look of triumph. And a rather neat vault of the corner flag too :)

I'm sure he was going for goal, but it was still pretty lucky - I'm sure even he wouldn't expect to score from there more than 1 out of 20 times.

Incidentally, Navas must surely now hold the record for the longest time between two goals in the same game (without extra time)

lasereyes said:
A) There were players arriving at the back post.

B) He looks up to see where his misplaced cross to the back post has actually gone.

C) Yeah, he celebrates like his intended cross has just ended up in the top corner. Same as Ronaldinho did against England.

Terrific game today.

And of course he meant to shoot for goal. In that position, why on on earth wouldn't he go for goal?

conormcfc said:
lasereyes said:

B) He looks up to see where his misplaced cross to the back post has actually gone.

C) Yeah, he celebrates like his intended cross has just ended up in the top corner. Same as Ronaldinho did against England.

D) He definitely meant it

Only on here would some claim he wasn't going for goal....only on here!

ws01 said:
Just like many wingers of similar style he isn't the best when the team is static or when he gets the ball from a standing start.

We played more or less on the counter yesterday and that's when he comes into his own, when he's running onto the ball.

Pellegrini needs to bite the bullet and use this strategy against teams we have trouble with away that we KNOW will park the bus against us. I think it's arrogant and it's proved ineffective to think that we can impose the one style at all times, dismissing lower ranked clubs by not tailoring our style to their play.

Using rope a dope against teams like Sunderland & Stoke brings us down a notch but I can almost guarantee it'll prove much more effective than just dominating possession and trying to find a gap through a compressed 10 man wall. We've tried that time and time again, it doesn't work and needs to be changed.
I agree completely. It's time to start letting the opposition have more of the ball rather than trying to pass them to death. It worked a treat against Spurs and should certainly be the approach in away games.

conormcfc said:
lasereyes said:

Are you for real?

Navas's first goal celebration

1451553_545877565499281_247518571_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.