Nearly 5 years on - how do you feel about the new badge?

Bees have been part of Manchesters for all my life, we had had a bee come to out school with wellyphant most years and all bins and bollards have always had bees on them.

There were bee flowerbeds and the busy bee buses.

I had a manchester bee pin badge as a young adult on my jackets next to my city pin and red star.

For many Mancs the bee was always important.

You always knew when you had crossed from say tameside and Manchester when the bins changed from bees to lambs

Last edited:
Love the new one. My bio on a now disappeared forum was always, “bring back the round badge”.
Like to think it helped...

I went to the sessions Gary James did. I’m delighted with it. The other one such an amateur effort. I probably cared/care more than I should!

Hey, when City and myself were born Manchester was in Lancashire! There are a few things where I make an exception to that colour - Lancashire emblem, British Legion poppy, and the pullover I had on last week was maroon!
Manchester in footballing terms hasn't been part of Lancashire since the late 19th Century

Last edited:
Love the new one. My bio on a now disappeared forum was always, “bring back the round badge”.
Like to think it helped...

I went to the sessions Gary James did. I’m delighted with it. The other one such an amateur effort. I probably cared/care more than I should!

Thanks. On the bee - it was an option from the start of the consultation and it was something I discussed in those sessions. Fans were given the opportunity to pick it and had enough done so it would have been included, as the red rose AND rivers were. There was a similar number of votes for the red rose and the rivers - personally I didn't want the rose for various reasons (mainly because it was prominent on the badge introduced by those directors who had ousted Mercer and it had not been on City's original round badge which had existed since the 1930s though not worn on shirts until 1970s). But many, many people did want the rose, despite its introduction by the new board in 1972 (Swales wasn't chairman at the time but he was the prime mover in changing the badge back then so that the club could gain control over its branding - a few years later he outsourced it of course which led to issues years later and the club earning very little from the badge; so despite the rose being on the badge I mostly grew up with, once I'd researched its history I was personally against including it). Democracy meant the rose did appear and it also meant the bee didn't. Hardly anybody wanted the bee despite some people encouraging its selection.

I know a lot of people at the time thought 'oh, they're just going to do' such and such but that consultation was absolutely genuine. I think it was inevitable we were going to select a round badge because, overwhelmingly, for the previous few years City had been receiving many, many emails, letters and calls from fans demanding a round badge. Had the eagle badge and the elements within it received considerable votes though then that badge/style would have won.

Agreed. I'm not sure why people are saying the red rose is just a symbol of Lancashire, it's the historical symbol of the House of Lancaster which found its way onto the crest of Lancashire and was kept on the coat of arms of Manchester as recognition of the historical link between the new region and the old county in '74. It's still there and won't be going so is absolutely right to be on our badge. It's why those over the border had to change their roses to footballs because the rose does not appear on the Greater Manchester emblems nor Trafford's, and the link to their days within the borders of Manchester or Lancashire is not relevant any more.

The roses on United's earlier badge were white (occasionally golden) not red. They changed their badge for the same reason City did in 1972 and that was to copyright it and limit piracy.

The roses on United's earlier badge were white (occasionally golden) not red. They changed their badge for the same reason City did in 1972 and that was to copyright it and limit piracy.
I know. Was hoping no-one would notice to spoil my theory, I guess that's why people call you the boss when it comes to 'istree.

Although I'm guessing they did borrow the design (if not the colour) off the Manchester crest for their roses.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.