Never meet your heroes.....

I met the great Tommy Hearns once outside the Kronk in Detroit. He was walking in with two or three guys and he was absolutely spot on with us. Put his bags down, posed for a picture, gave me his autograph - all the while his friends are putting girly voices on going “Tommy can I get your autograph next please”. Unbelievably he invited us to come inside and watch him train, it was 1999 and he was way past his best but it was like a fairytale for me just being in the kronk and watching him put his wraps on and get laced up and do some pad work and hit the bags.

That is absolutely class mate, just like the man himself. What an experience.

I met the great Tommy Hearns once outside the Kronk in Detroit. He was walking in with two or three guys and he was absolutely spot on with us. Put his bags down, posed for a picture, gave me his autograph - all the while his friends are putting girly voices on going “Tommy can I get your autograph next please”. Unbelievably he invited us to come inside and watch him train, it was 1999 and he was way past his best but it was like a fairytale for me just being in the kronk and watching him put his wraps on and get laced up and do some pad work and hit the bags.

Boris Becker is my all-time sporting hero - love the man - been a few feet away from him on a couple of occasions but just lost the inability to speak.

Strange what effect other people can have on you.

Met Joe Corrigan quite a few times over the years & he's always been a lovely guy.
Trevor Francis came across as a right arrogant cnut when he played for us and refused my request for an autograph. Years later i met him in Birmingham and explained what he'd did when i was a kid & he couldn't have been nicer, said sorry and then was very patient when my Mrs at the time took ages trying to take a photo of us.
Met Slur Alex once, sorry boys but he came across as a decent guy & had time for everybody
How did you meet the GPC - had you stopped at the side of the road for a shit?

Nothing City related, I’m afraid but...
My wife used to work with Lee Nogan’s (lots of lower league clubs including York) wife and they were having PC problems, so she suggested I go round to have a look. We both got invited for dinner and after I’d sorted out his PC, my mouth unfortunately engaged before my brain. My Barber calls you “No goals Nogan”!! I said...he laughed and asked where this barber was...he popped in his garage, got an old York shirt out, autographed it and gave it me to give to him. Took it over to him next day and he had it framed and put on the wall of his shop. Next time I went to get a haircut, he said that Lee had visited and they had a right good chinwag...We went round a few times after that and he was a really good guy...
Used to play in a duo back in the day and was booked at Bernard Manning’s Embassy Club...we walked on stage and he put his arm round me and said to the crowd “This lad here’s been spoken to and touched by Elvis...he kicked him up the arse and told him to F*ck off” needless to say it got a laugh...
The wife used to walk to school with Tommy Caton and his sister back in the day and opened the door for Peter Reid at the petrol station at Hartshead Moor services west bound once. Hesaid “Thanks luv”. She’s also seen David O’Dreary at York station and Stephen Hendry in a Chinese in York...

Last edited:

Must of been a great experience, Hearns had the best jab ever imo. Met Shannon Briggs before the Frampton v Santa Cruz fight in Brooklyn few yrs ago, really nice bloke had time for everyone.

I was on holiday in LA at the summer and took a trip to the Wild Card Gym to meet the great Freddie Roach. Not expecting to be allowed in my son and I got a personal tour of the gym by the great man and Vanis Moritosyan. Unfortunately we’d missed the Pac Man by 30 minutes. He was back training 3 days after he’d beat Keith Thurman!!

Jackie Bray - City Cup final hero from the 1930's and England international. Used to run a sports shop in Nelson Lancs in 70's/80's. Nicest guy ever and all my school mates remember his display of classic Umbro and Admiral from the day, especially City, whose Subbuteo team was in full view in the front window of the shop. Always remember those Admiral Leeds shirts and Umbro Burnley shirts with a V on the front from that time. Bumped into M Summerbee watching City v Leics on Shaftesbury Ave the day the women were in their Cup Final and he seemed very courteous. Also - my daughter and I were excited to see Zaba at Manchester airport, and being half-Spanish herself, she was able to get a photo with him, after some "Buenos dias, Senor Zaba " etc.
Fuck me that shop is a blast from the past. I always remember the kits he sold never seemed to have any branding on. Im sure he was selling snide stuff 20 years before anyone else did. You’d be lucky to get anything resembling sportswear in Nelson these days!!

Fuck me that shop is a blast from the past. I always remember the kits he sold never seemed to have any branding on. Im sure he was selling snide stuff 20 years before anyone else did. You’d be lucky to get anything resembling sportswear in Nelson these days!!

Ha ha 01282 that is me old Trawden prefix. Where are you mate? Jack's competition was Peter Noble, the old Burnley captain, who had a stall selling spotswear on Burnley market. Ha ha - can you imagine Vincent Kompany working on a market stall when he wasn't required for team duties!? Peter's daughter was a cracking footie player - used to rung rings round the lads at college. She hadn't inherited her dad's combover either.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.