New Book "Who said City couldn't play!"

Der Bomber said:
Deffo want to order this one. Phil, I sent you an e-mail. Let me know what works best for you!

Like I said in the e-mail, I'd have wanted a copy anyway. But the good words of Gary James in this thread about your book gave an assist to my decision-making process to be certain.
That's good news. Hope you like the book. I've enjoyed it so far. Nice to see someone do proper research.

Gary James said:
Der Bomber said:
Deffo want to order this one. Phil, I sent you an e-mail. Let me know what works best for you!

Like I said in the e-mail, I'd have wanted a copy anyway. But the good words of Gary James in this thread about your book gave an assist to my decision-making process to be certain.
That's good news. Hope you like the book. I've enjoyed it so far. Nice to see someone do proper research.

Well if Gary James says that proper research has been done here then I expect a very high-quality product from Phil (who seems to be an extremely nice guy, I might add.)

Gary, I just want to say that I have been reading your books all the way back to when "the Greatest City" came out and have enjoyed everything you've written. Looking forward to your next!

I'm really enjoying "Who said City couldnt play" so far. As said, it's well researched but it also does a good job of setting the scene and giving a flavour as to how football was in those days. The crowds around the country are really interesting too.

I've just finished reading this book and am impressed by how much I've learned about the period. The author has adopted a similar approach to Paul Toovey in that he has amassed a huge amount of primary source material and arranged it in chronological order. To put his work into perspective, only around 50,000 words had previously been written about City in the 1930s (mostly from the autobiographies of Frank Swift and Peter Doherty), so this book triples the word-count.

In the process Phil has dug up several gems. For instance, the book reveals that Frank Swift was offered a bribe worth three times his annual wage to throw a match during our title-winning season, and there's also details of how City were invited to open the River Plate stadium in Argentina (the prospect of violence meant they had to decline). The author has also discovered an obit of the mysterious figure of Albert Hughes (chairman from 1928/29 to 1935), which suggests he may have been hugely influential in the club's growth.

I was also struck with the similarities between football in the 1930s and the present day. It seems that back in 1936-37 fans were complaining about the same things season as they are now: poor refereeing, international fixtures interfering with domestic games, pampered players etc.

But what I loved most were the details of the intense rivalry between City and United fans back then. For instance, at a home match against West Brom in Sept 1936 some United fans in the Maine Road crowd had started cheering following a half-time announcement United were winning 4-1 at Derby. This led to fighting breaking out that was only broken up after baton-wielding police officers went into the crowd and administered “a swift whack or two”.

My favourite bit of the book, though, is a letter to the Manchester Chronicle from a group of fans calling themselves 'the Hyde Roaders', which wouldn't be out of place on Bluemoon today. It was complaining about the way the club had killed the atmosphere in the derby at Maine Road by having the City and United players to run out side by side, and included this great quote:

'All that was needed was a few flowers and two minutes' silence'....We came to see a real 'do'..and we get a 'take your partners'

I think what I'm trying to say is that if you want a fascinating insight into the club during one of its glorious periods then Who Said City Couldn't Play! is an essential read.

a very good book now I think you need to write a book on the next season which is probably
where the typical city tag comes from

Re: New Book "Who said City couldn't play!"

Thoroughly enjoyed "who said city couldn't play!" although as a grammar nazi, i was somewhat impressed that my 7 year old daughter asked me why there was an exclamation mark and not a question mark in the title. The detail was very impressive and I found myself willing the team on towards the end of the book. As someone with as strong interest in the club's history, it was amazing how little I knew of this campaign compared to the 67-68 season.

I also loved Teenage kicks. Despite a slightly cheap finish, the book is also high on detail and I was really moved by the sheer effort that Tony Book and Glynn pardoe appeared to put into the lads' development.

Two of the best city books in recent years, although the other one I got, "90+4" or whatever was professionally finished and utterly rubbish. A cash-in con by the club. Just a load of shit from the club website from throughout the season, all of which was redundant.

I am going to get this book via Amazon.By the way Dave,I agree about the 90+5 book,but I bought it as I am the steward on the front cover photo in the background when Sergio scored v QPR.It was mostly regurgitated rubbish inside,and poorly edited and written.

Re: New Book

Didsbury Dave said:
Thoroughly enjoyed "who said city couldn't play!" although as a grammar nazi, i was somewhat impressed that my 7 year old daughter asked me why there was an exclamation mark and not a question mark in the title. The detail was very impressive and I found myself willing the team on towards the end of the book. As someone with as strong interest in the club's history, it was amazing how little I knew of this campaign compared to the 67-68 season.

I also loved Teenage kicks. Despite a slightly cheap finish, the book is also high on detail and I was really moved by the sheer effort that Tony Book and Glynn pardoe appeared to put into the lads' development.

Two of the best city books in recent years, although the other one I got, "90+4" or whatever was professionally finished and utterly rubbish. A cash-in con by the club. Just a load of shit from the club website from throughout the season, all of which was redundant.

TP4tg1D.gif

pride in battle said:
Was the title of the book taken from a song what was sung when the players returned with the cup?
Always remember My Mum singing this song. She lived in Moss Side and would have been about ten when we won the cup. She wasn,t
the slightest bit interested in football or City. It must have been very popular at the time for it to have made an impression on her. God bless her.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.