New Champions League format

I find this really interesting, the new format and 2 byes is meh, Juve, Bayern, PSG and the Spanish 2 haven't been with 20 points of missing out on qualification so this only applicable the English sides.

The transfer stuff is mad, the debt is out of control so I can see the reasoning behind it but on the other side these clubs then have assets with no value. If City wanted to sell Sterling the market would be about 6 clubs, 2 of which will be rivals for CL spots so they won't sell to them. That leaves the likes of Villa or Valencia. The net result is transfer fees fall of a cliff which is a good thing. I just can't see the teams agreeing to it or it been legal within EU employment law.

Contray to what others have said it would also make it easier for Newcastle Everton types to grow and challenge. If they came into money they would have a free run at players surplus at CL clubs. It would be quicker and cheaper than what City done.

They really haven’t thought this scenario through and there will be ways clubs can exploit it to an advantage.

The other thing is would the premier league be happy to lose 2 teams and go down to 18 in a league? It’s a loss of revenue for them losing 2 rounds of fixtures to a champions league that can’t demand the money that the premier league gets from TV companies around the world.

Looks like we'll have top teams in all the CFG....either buying off clubs we're not allowed to ourselves or 'stacked up' from within City in case we need them.

One word as I posted earlier in the thread.

SHITE.

See another one of his ideas is to prohinit transfers between champions league clubs.
Claims it will help the "smaller " clubs financially
Don't understand this, does that mean all your players are not transferable. What happens if a player wants to leave a club?

Yep and if any club even City wanted to sell a big name player the only clubs who could afford the fee would be another CL club.

Don't understand this, does that mean all your players are not transferable. What happens if a player wants to leave a club?

The top 5~10 CL clubs buy almost all their players from other CL clubs. The next 30ish CL clubs sell their best players to the top 5~10 clubs and that money keeps them going. So It makes no sense. The transfer market would be very restricted.

It would be a big incentive for CL players to run out contracts. That would not go well for the game as it punishes loyalty.

This is what he said.

Answering a question following the ECA meeting from a German journalist about salary caps, Agnelli talked about finding alternative ways to secure financial fair play, within football.

'Clubs qualifying to specific tiers in international competitions would not be allowed to buy each other's players,' he suggested.

'That would improve indirect solidarity towards other clubs. So, no triple figure transfers among Champions League participating clubs. These are elements we are discussing.'

I think it would be like in American football where they have an algorithm based on the previous year's rankings that makes sure everyone gets an equally difficult schedule even though you don't play every side.
That is not what happens in the NFL.

-you play each division opponent twice = 6 games
-you play all 4 teams in one of the other three in-conference divisions (this rotates) = 4 games
-you play all 4 teams in one division in the opposite conference of the one you are in (this rotates) = 4 games
-you play the similarly placed teams in the other divisions in your conference (ie division champ plays the other two division champs) = 2 games

The only part of the schedule that isn't predetermined is the very last bit, which depends on where you finish.

Absolute crock of crap.
This tournament ceased to mean anything when it expanded from champions only.
It’s just a grubby money making exercise.

So then you can go on to the bigger prizes of the European Super Cup and the World Club Championships?

Utter BOLLOCKS.
I'd actually love to see City play in a proper World Club Championship. There should have been one held this summer in China but has been delayed because of Covid, apparently looking to reschedule for 2022 or 2023

The chance to play teams from South America, Asia, Africa etc.. competitively would be great as its something we've never done before. City v Boca Juniors or City v Kashima Antlers or City v LA Galaxy, I'm all for that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.