New Champions League format

Absolute crock of crap.
This tournament ceased to mean anything when it expanded from champions only.
It’s just a grubby money making exercise.
And the appearance/prize money given to the clubs totally distorts their leagues making them processional. Unfortunately you can't put the genie back in the bottle. The only solution is to abandon the ffp ruling about owner investment which would give a chance of turnover of clubs.

I wish FIFA had the balls to say any club players taking part lose their national team places.

Absolute crock of crap.
This tournament ceased to mean anything when it expanded from champions only.
It’s just a grubby money making exercise.

It's genuinely amazing how silly these comments are, and yet how stubbornly people stick to an obviously ludicrous point of view. A bunch posters yelling about the good old days 30 years ago when 90% of the matches weren't watched.

It ceased to mean anything? What did the competition mean? What was the point of it?

The European Cup was founded to find out the best side in Europe, from competitors picked by L'equipe magazine, then at the invite of Real Madrid.

The point of the competition is to put the best sides in Europe against each other, and guess what, it's 2021, Barcelona are better than Ferencvárosi TC (Hungarian champions) or FC Midtylland despite being runners up in La Liga.

Having only champions in the competition makes about as much sense as only allowing one club from each City in the country to be in the Premier League, or allowing 1 tennis player from each country to play in a grand slam.

It's absolute nonsense, and it's so obviously nonsense, but out of this completely false idea that everything was better in the past people cling onto it and pretend they really want to see Leeds beat SFK Lyn 16-0 again and nothing would make them happier than seeing PSV Eindhoven beat KR of Rejkjavic 12-2 and 4-0 over 2 legs.

Last edited:
I wonder if our club is in favour and how it will actually look, because I can’t see how that not allowing certain clubs to trade with each other can be legal?

And when has that actually been a stumbling point where money is concerned ?
It wasn't my point. Even my club is for the more radicalised Super League and i know it would be better for us (diminishing the lack of attractivity of the domestic league). However, as a fan of footbal, it is still upsetting.

The big leagues already have 4 guaranteed spots. 4. And with this method, it would just be allocating some more spots to them.

It's genuinely amazing how silly these comments are, and yet how stubbornly people stick to an obviously ludicrous point of view. A bunch posters yelling about the good old days 30 years ago when 90% of the matches weren't watched.

It ceased to mean anything? What did the competition mean? What was the point of it?

The European Cup was founded to find out the best side in Europe, from competitors picked by L'equipe magazine, then at the invite of Real Madrid.

The point of the competition is to put the best sides in Europe against each other, and guess what, it's 2021, Barcelona are better than Ferencvárosi TC (Hungarian champions) or FC Midtylland despite being runners up in La Liga.

Having only champions in the competition makes about as much sense as only allowing one club from each City in the country to be in the Premier League, or allowing 1 tennis player from each country to play in a grand slam.

It's absolute nonsense, and it's so obviously nonsense, but out of this completely false idea that everything was better in the past people cling onto it and pretend they really want to see Leeds beat SFK Lyn 16-0 again and nothing would make them happier than seeing PSV Eindhoven beat KR of Rejkjavic 12-2 and 4-0 over 2 legs.
It would be crazy to go back to the old European Cup format which was a bit of a farce when you look at the pub teams Liverpool had to beat the win some of their trophies. But the Champions League group stages are mostly shit and the idea of one big league sounds even worse. Fans want to see more knock-out games not more group games. I thought the format was good last season with the final games played as a mini-tournament (though it didn't help us)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.