New Champions League format

6 groups of 6 maybe
1200px-Three_sided_football_pitch.svg.png

Looking at the BBC reports about Rangers. For a relatively new club, they've won a record amount of titles so they must be a shoo-in?
I listened to McCall yesterday. He said, they were sent down to the 3rd. Of course they weren't. The only reason was they had to 're apply as they were a new entity. They were never relegated. The club folded under it's debts. Still, 55 in 10 years is awesome. Imagine it had happened to us, do you think the Daily Record woukd have said we were going for 55? Would the Rangers fans? No they wouldn't, because you can't have your cake without paying for it and eat it. They claim we didn't get 9 because they weren't there. Only on Scotland and only if you are the Gers.

How do you play 10 games when there are 36 teams?

4x groups of 9 = 36. If you play the 8 other teams in your group of 9 you have 8 games?

If you play 10 teams in a group of 11 then the total No of teams would be a multiple of 11.

Anyone else struggling to get passed this.
Came across somewhere where it was 6 groups of 6, 5 matches each home and away.

1st 2 teams in each group go through along with 4 best 3rd placed teams, giving a last 16 which would be played as is now.

I'm laughing at the plan that all teams that qualify can't buy players off each other.

I'm laughing at the plan that all teams that qualify can't buy players off each other.
It's completely unworkable and would be illegal. Especially in the likes of Spain where the right to buy out your contract is protected under law.

How do you play 10 games when there are 36 teams?

4x groups of 9 = 36. If you play the 8 other teams in your group of 9 you have 8 games?

If you play 10 teams in a group of 11 then the total No of teams would be a multiple of 11.

Anyone else struggling to get passed this.
6 groups of 6 maybe
It's not in "groups" it's one group of 36, and you are drawn against 10 of them was my understanding.

On transfers bans between clubs in the same competition, would it not force up transfer fees for teams looking to recruit players outside of the champions league as the pool of players you can buy gets smaller?

I can’t see Madrid and Barca voting for this as being able to take the very best players in Europe away from the better teams has been their policy for years.
I find this really interesting, the new format and 2 byes is meh, Juve, Bayern, PSG and the Spanish 2 haven't been with 20 points of missing out on qualification so this only applicable the English sides.

The transfer stuff is mad, the debt is out of control so I can see the reasoning behind it but on the other side these clubs then have assets with no value. If City wanted to sell Sterling the market would be about 6 clubs, 2 of which will be rivals for CL spots so they won't sell to them. That leaves the likes of Villa or Valencia. The net result is transfer fees fall of a cliff which is a good thing. I just can't see the teams agreeing to it or it been legal within EU employment law.

Contray to what others have said it would also make it easier for Newcastle Everton types to grow and challenge. If they came into money they would have a free run at players surplus at CL clubs. It would be quicker and cheaper than what City done.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.