New CL Format | Thoughts after 2 games (pg13)

Read last night that there were 96 games before the Ro16 in the previous format. There will now be 160 (larger number of games in the League Phase plus the 9-24 qualifying round).

Since Bernardo Silva came out and said that the football calendar is too big, Rodri has come out and said that eventually players will go on strike. Since Rodri said that, loads of players from current players like Julien Timber to retired players like Luis Saha have shown their support for Rodri and Bernardo’s words.

Last night felt meaningless. The only thing I was buzzing for was that James McAtee scored his first goal for the club, but it was exactly the sort of game that needs shaving from the football calendar.

Think there is less jeopardy, especially for the 'middle' level teams like Atalanta and sporting.
They know they won't get top 8 and won't be bottom 8 so can just play their games knowing they will almost certainly be in the play off rounds.
In the old format, they would have been fighting to finish 2nd instead of 3rd.

Fair play to Bratislava but they shouldn’t be involved in this level of football. They would have been knocked out by now under the old system.

I was mostly pro coming in but after two games I think it's a mess.

I can barely keep up with what matches are happening where, it seems to have sacrificed quality for quantity, and I can't see how or why the format doesn't impact the domestic leagues given anyone finishing below the top 8, based on inconsistent seeding, will play more football at a critical part of the season.

It's a dog's dinner tbqh.

If only the champions league was for the actual champions of each league no second,third or fourth place teams they could go in the conference champions league or something, the players would be happier, presumably fewer better quality games.
Spread the butter too thinly and you lose the taste of the bread !

Apart from the fact that it’s an obvious money grab and even more games for the players, I’m with you mate. I like it and it throws up more variety which is great for fans who like to do European aways. More clubs will have something to play for towards the end of the group stage too.
It's all that Uefa are interested in - more games, more money, fuck the fans 'n fuck the players.

Isn't it essentially the Super League that UEFA so candidly tore to shreds when it was announced? But instead of a load of Europe's best teams, it's some of them plus a few who are there to be battered every game week.

Celtic beat last night's opposition 5-1 on the first game week then got battered 7-1 last night. There's no in between - it's the same teams that will progress regardless of the format.

So why give players, who are already absolutely fucked, more games to work with?

Money.

Read last night that there were 96 games before the Ro16 in the previous format. There will now be 160 (larger number of games in the League Phase plus the 9-24 qualifying round).

Since Bernardo Silva came out and said that the football calendar is too big, Rodri has come out and said that eventually players will go on strike. Since Rodri said that, loads of players from current players like Julien Timber to retired players like Luis Saha have shown their support for Rodri and Bernardo’s words.

Last night felt meaningless. The only thing I was buzzing for was that James McAtee scored his first goal for the club, but it was exactly the sort of game that needs shaving from the football calendar.
We have more International shit coming up soon,more injuries possible.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.