New CL Format | Thoughts after 2 games (pg13)

The biggest problem I have with the Chamions League isn't whatever format it takes, it's the amount of 'gamesmanship' that goes on with the diving, timewasting and poor refereeing favouring the 'legacy' teams.
How many times in the last 25 years has the Champions League been won by a team who hasn't had bending the rules as a major part of their tactics or had a helping hand from the officials? Maybe 3 times from what I've seen by us, Pep's Barcelona and Bayern Munich under the guy before Pep.
It just makes the games shit to watch and unfortunately the Premier League's going the same way.

Is not finishing top 8 a risk though?

I still think there's a strong argument to treat the 8 groups games like the early rounds of the cup, mass rotation etc...

If you have to play the playoff round the trade off of 8 games v 2 games is surely worth it.
Agree

Its a much better format for the 3rd and 4th seed teams, far more likely now to get points on the board and have an opportunity to progress to the knockouts.
For the 1st and 2nd seed teams, its awful - more games to play, games against league 1 standard teams, much less jeopardy and excitement. Realistically it probably wont start to get interesting til December.
With this new format each team plays two more games before knockout stage. Those extra games will be against two teams with similar coefficients. So for us that means two games against good teams like us (1st seed teams). If you're a 4th seed team, you will play your two extra games against other 4th seed teams. In the previous format, 1st seed teams would not play against other 1st seed teams until knockout. This disadvantages us versus teams with lower seedings. In other words, you are penalised for being in pot 1. Why the hell us, RM, Bayern,etc voted for this format, I will never know!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.