New CL Format | Thoughts after 2 games (pg13)

Its a much better format for the 3rd and 4th seed teams, far more likely now to get points on the board and have an opportunity to progress to the knockouts.
For the 1st and 2nd seed teams, its awful - more games to play, games against league 1 standard teams, much less jeopardy and excitement. Realistically it probably wont start to get interesting til December.

What was it sold as? More competitive games? There have been some daft score lines so far. It was only about money and more games, absolutely nothing to do with competitiveness.

Its a much better format for the 3rd and 4th seed teams, far more likely now to get points on the board and have an opportunity to progress to the knockouts.
For the 1st and 2nd seed teams, its awful - more games to play, games against league 1 standard teams, much less jeopardy and excitement. Realistically it probably wont start to get interesting til December.
Agree, it's got a 3rd round of the fa Cup vibe. Great for smaller teams but many games just won't be competitive.

Is not finishing top 8 a risk though?

I still think there's a strong argument to treat the 8 groups games like the early rounds of the cup, mass rotation etc...

If you have to play the playoff round the trade off of 8 games v 2 games is surely worth it.
I think if you asked any of the teams managers if they wanted the extra games and the jeopardy of a play off for the last 16 I think most would be aiming to finish in the top 8.

My thoughts won't change regardless of how we progress
Give it a couple of seasons and they'll increase the number of fixtures but without the knockout stage.
Then they'll introduce promotion and relegation and ultimately rename it as the UEFA Super League.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.