New CL Format | Thoughts after 2 games (pg13)

Not great in terms of players workload.
At least 4 tough games now compared to maybe 1 or 2 previous. Also 2 more games with a potential for 2 more if not in top 8. I think we have got a tough situation with having both PSG and Juve away which makes it far from nailed on that we will sail into the top 8
I'm not convinced the top 8 matters if you have ambitions of winning it.

Okay it means 2 extra knockout games but probably against a side we'd expect to beat and if we didn't then we weren't good enough to begin with.

As a spectacle it's far better but a lot more difficult to quality.

The previous format was creating far too many easy fixtures.

Last night only issue was using that appaling, money making scam kit, never again should we not wear our home shirt for a home fixture, Noel, Puma and the club hang your heads in shame, money grabbing cnuts.

Last edited:
The big win for Bayern may also make a difference - will there be a pressure to thrash the weaker sides and match their goal difference?
No, because the only positions with any relevance are 8th vs 9th and 24th vs 25th. None of the other positions really matter at all. In theory you get an easier draw if you finish higher up, but I'm not sure whether that'll be the case in reality, because so many safe teams will be taking it easy, so the final position probably won't represent the quality of the team in a knockout stage anyway.

It is effectively a super league which has some teams in it that would struggle in the equivalent of the European Vauxhall Conference League so a long winded boring drab competition with lots of uncompetitive matches . Extortionate ticketing prices and more games aswell , only positive for me is more potential attractive away days for those who like travelling abroad.

Nail on head, super league, youngsters better be coming accustomed to it, as that's what it'll be in less than 6 years, earlier if City smash the PL to pieces in the coming months

As a spectacle it's far better but a lot more difficult to quality.

The previous format was creating far too many easy fixtures.

Last night only issue was using that appaling, money making scam kit, never again should we not wear our home shirt for a home fixture, Noel, Puma and the club hang your head in shame, money grabbing cnuts.

The **** could afford 5 divorces at the end of all this shit

I'm not convinced the top 8 matters if you have ambitions of winning it.

Okay it means 2 extra knockout games but probably against a side we'd expect to beat and if we didn't then we weren't good enough to begin with.
Wouldn’t be surprised if the teams that qualify out of the 2 extra knock out games are seeded 2nd

No, because the only positions with any relevance are 8th vs 9th and 24th vs 25th. None of the other positions really matter at all. In theory you get an easier draw if you finish higher up, but I'm not sure whether that'll be the case in reality, because so many safe teams will be taking it easy, so the final position probably won't represent the quality of the team in a knockout stage anyway.
I'd make the argument that for any decent side there is piss all difference between 1st and 24th.

The teams that finish 9th-24th will probably take 3 of their group games easy knowing top 8 is unlikely, which means the 2 extra knockout games aren't that taxing.

My thoughts are that it is easy to get through, many chances for the bigger clubs to get through even if they go through a bad patch of the season.

Towards the end we will get to see the full league standing and that could be the forerunner to a euro league conversation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.