New CL Format | Thoughts after 2 games (pg13)

The "new format" is designed for one thing and one thing only - a bigger money drop for Uefa from TV companies and sponsors.

The last thing this torunament needed was more group games but here we go - you now have 2 more of them creating 2 more matchdays. In addition the play-off round also generates 2 more as well so it total Uefa have 4 more gameweeks to flog.

As usual the tournament will come alive once you reach the last 16 - prior to that its quite tedious and Id wager you can name 6/7 of the last 8 quite confidently right now - Real, Bayern, City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Inter, Barca.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was extended again at some point and then eventually turned into a league format with two divisions

A bit like a European Super League but with a different name

Completely unnecessary and irrelevant.

Can anyone explain the benefits that ensue for fans,players,clubs ?

When comparing the clubs in each group City have 3 elite teams, other groups have mainly championship teams.

IMO there should’ve been byes for the major/ successful clubs al la the Carabo Cup.

Too much irrelevant football will eventually dilute the quality of the game.

Here’s an idea. How about we take the CHAMPIONS from each UEFA country and have a straight knockout competition over two legs until you get to a final?

Whilst it was funny that Villa took a Champions League spot, it does highlight a credibility issue. In the last format we had a Dippers v Spuds final, neither (at that point) had been champions for a combined seventy years. The new format does nothing to help.

Sat back relaxed watching last night. Felt it was a friendly. Good to not lose and stay unbeaten but only psychologically. Actually not that big a deal. Next week v Watford though - whilst we clearly should win “means something” cos we lose and we are out. Last night we lose. Get a bit of bad press but who cares. We will still qualify

For me that was the best quality group game we've had in a long time. And the placing matters more than just the top 8 go to the R16.. It's not really clear yet but there is seeding after the knockouts so e.g. 1st and 2nd will be on opposite sides of the draw. The higher you place, the easier (in theory) your path to the final should be.

Surely I’m not the only one who quite likes the new format?

I reckon after 6/7 games it will be interesting…. Top 8 is a big ask and some of the big clubs are going to miss out.

Disagree. I like it. There are no dead rubbers in this format as there is always something to fight for.

I could change my mind by the end but if you look at the number of goals scored overall it looks like teams are desperate to avoid not winning as 8 draws will see you eliminated.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.