New Council Tax Bill

Out of interest how do other countries pay for thier local councils/ services
We paid €60 per year when we lived in Spain and they were absolutely brilliant. Granted we had no services whatsoever as we lived in the sticks and off grid but waste removal was a joy to watch.
Now, we have a holiday rental in Pembrokeshire and we're on business rates so we pay nothing, 0%, Nada, nowt....
however if we dont rent the place out for 183 nights per year, the council, bless them, will take us off business rates and put us on domestic rates PLUS a 250% surcharge, penalty, excess....call it what you want, £7,500 give or take for a year. They cant empty the bins properly, they have us down as 2 addresses, 1 which is 40 miles away, they wont let me go to the tip because my car/van is registered in Gwynedd and not Pembrokeshire....they really are useless but they expect full payment for a second rate service.

So I read Labour are now considering scrapping the poll tax reduction for single person households?
It's an absolute disgrace and hot on the heels of taking my winter fuel allowance because my income is slightly too high to claim "pension credit". It really shows the Labour party's total lack of interest in people who've worked hard and paid taxes for 40 years and have been battered by huge price increases for god knows how long now. It's becoming a struggle to exist never ind live. How about unfreezing the income tax thresholds??
In three year the state pension could incur income tax with those freezes when in effect it should be around £14500.

In three year the state pension could incur income tax with those freezes when in effect it should be around £14500.
The state pension should be the same as the income tax threshold. If only just to save on paperwork.....
" Ah mr Jones, here's your state pension but before you go we'd like to take just a little back off you, thanks for your service, now on your way."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.