New home kit?

Dubai Blue said:
Shaelumstash said:
As I've said before, would that be your reaction if we changed the shirts to white? Not one single person has come on here and said they wouldn't give a fuck if they changed the colour of the home shirt.
I'd say congratulations to Umbro for respecting our history by paying homage to our final season as Ardwick FC.

It's debateable whether Ardwick wore white shirts (and navy shorts!) in 1893-94. Some sources suggest they did, but others (myself included) are more convinced that they wore a light blue.

It has to be said though that whenever white shirts are mentioned for the Club, the respective shorts tend to be blue.

For anyone wondering (and some of the historical kits sites get this wrong from time to time) the earliest 'known' kits connected with City are:

- 1884 Black shirts, white cross, white shorts (photo exists)
- 1887 royal blue and white stripes (recorded by Manchester FA)
- 1890 blue and white halved shirts & navy blue shorts (photo exists)
- 1894 (first season as MCFC) Cambridge Blue and white shorts (though some claim grey shorts were worn, though this does not fit)

There are all sorts of stories about red and black stripes from the 1800s (these seem false and became 'stories' many years later, particularly from 1968-69 when fans objected to the red/black new kit - tradition, hey); & white shirts in late 1800s and early 1900s (believed to be false; City appear to have just worn their shirts for a few seasons and they faded!).

Although I personally don't like the idea of City wearing blue shorts because of its links with failure/lack of success and the comparisons with Coventry, traditions haven't always worked in City's favour. As I said when the debate raged on the Manchester COA on the FAC shirts, I'd rather City set a tradition of success rather than worry about kit.

I still haven't seen the shorts (or any of the kit) so don't know what I actually think about them. If City win the League and/or the Champs League wearing blue shorts then I'd be happier than if they wore white shorts and missed out.

If however City get relegated... I'll have something to blame.

Didsbury Dave said:
mcfc2112 said:
levets said:
There was less moaning when we once turned out in all Yellow at Arsenal..

Now that was bizarre... we all started booing them as we thought it Was Arsenal at first...
This was in the days when the visitors took the field a few mins before the hosts..

quote]

...one of my worst days as a City fan...

I thought we'd forgotten our kit, and were having to borrow Arsenal's...couldn't believe it when we could see the "brother" logo and badge on it...

I was there then too. Was that the one when The Shamen played "Ebeneezer Good" before the game? Or was it the one when David White scored 2 in the second half? Both were night matches if I remember correctly.

I can't remember mate... was at them all back then... as you may know!

Just remember how stupid we all felt after booing them.... to then realise it's City... what the fuck are we in yellow for? Machin was the manager, so would be 89-90?

levets said:
Didsbury Dave said:

I was there then too. Was that the one when The Shamen played "Ebeneezer Good" before the game? Or was it the one when David White scored 2 in the second half? Both were night matches if I remember correctly.

I can't remember mate... was at them all back then... as you may know!

Just remember how stupid we all felt after booing them.... to then realise it's City... what the fuck are we in yellow for? Machin was the manager, so would be 89-90?

It was the 4-0 14/10/89. Shamen was the Prem League game in 92/93 live on Sky, hence the 'entertainment'

I remember a 2-2 around this time - late 80s/early 90s, when David White scored two screamers to bring us back from 2-0 down. The yellow shorts was the 4-0, awful night.

Dubai Blue said:
Gary, what was the reason for that yellow kit? Why weren't we in blue?

I've never quite understood. Away kit was maroon so I guess that could have been seen to clash with Arsenal.

Blue could have been worn, but seems to be no obvious reason why it wasn't.

There was something in the match prog about it (V Villa I think the week after) but can't remember what excuse was given. I do know they said that it had been a rushed job (remember that some of the sponsors lettering was falling off!). They also said they were going to trash the kit and that City would 'never again' wear yellow (a bit like what they said when we dropped blue shorts in 1985). Every so often I hear a rumour that someone has one, but I've never seen one since that day.

I also know that fans turned up at the Souvenir Shop trying to buy it/replicas in the days that followed.

People saying Barca never change there home colours are wrong, they regularly change there home shorts from dark blue to maroon.

Bluemoonbaldboy said:
Apparently it's all 118's fault!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_H7yxOyjaU&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

http://blog.umbro.com/post/manchester-city-home-2011-the-story-behind-the-shirt-begins/

CHEESE ALERT! CHEESE ALERT! CHEESE ALERT!<br /><br />-- Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:14 pm --<br /><br />I remember people claiming at the time that the reason why we played so shit at Arsenal was because of the yellow shirts!

What the fuck does the colour of a shirt have to do with how you play?

I know baconface used that as a reason... but we're better than that surely!

Shaelumstash said:
glen quagmire said:
Shaelumstash said:
As I've said before, would that be your reaction if we changed the shirts to white? Not one single person has come on here and said they wouldn't give a fuck if they changed the colour of the home shirt.

Would you "LOL" at people whinging that City should wear blue shirts? Afterall, it's only a football kit!

I don't care what colour we play in as long as it's 'city blue'. It amuses me that so many people care what the shirt looks like or the colour of the shorts are!

I can see it now :

HUSBAND: "darling, can you make sure that my home shirt is clean for tomorrow as i have an important meeting".

WIFE: "Yes dear, although you'll have to wear the navy blue shoes as the brown loafers will clash with the etihad logo".

HUSBAND: "stuff that then don't bother i'll hand my notice in instead".

It's a football shirt, not something to wear to the office, a party or deep sea diving.

"I don't care what colour we play in as long as it's 'city blue'"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxymoron

Not sure if that was meant as a deliberate joke or if you just didn't really think before you wrote it. Either way, I think it proves the point that you are arsed what colour shirt we wear. For the exact same reasons you are arsed about that, I'm arsed about the colour of the shorts.

You need to get out more lad!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.