new kit '14-'15

Status
Not open for further replies.
JOGAMIGMOG said:
KippaxCitizen said:
[bigimg]http://www.penmon.org/userimages/manchester_city.gif[/bigimg]

^These are the traditional Manchester City Football Club colours.

Sometimes there's been a variation on the collar, more/less/no white trim on the shirt; sometimes there's been more navy trim on he shorts; and sometimes there's been a variation with the turnovers on the socks, more/less/no sky trim.

But for by far the longest amount of time as Manchester City FC we have had sky blue shirts, white shorts and navy socks. We've had that combination for about fifty years more than the next most common combination (sky-white-sky).

^^^ this and ONLY this. No idea why we get pissed about with our kits. You would never see Arsenal abandoning its white sleeves or the Rags opting for red shorts. We need to create or re-establish these colours as our 'brand' image. It's got Manchester City written all over it.

Arsenal had maroon kit the other year to celebrate their centenary year.

ONTHERUNWITHTHAKSIN said:
JOGAMIGMOG said:
KippaxCitizen said:

Sometimes there's been a variation on the collar, more/less/no white trim on the shirt; sometimes there's been more navy trim on he shorts; and sometimes there's been a variation with the turnovers on the socks, more/less/no sky trim.

But for by far the longest amount of time as Manchester City FC we have had sky blue shirts, white shorts and navy socks. We've had that combination for about fifty years more than the next most common combination (sky-white-sky).

^^^ this and ONLY this. No idea why we get pissed about with our kits. You would never see Arsenal abandoning its white sleeves or the Rags opting for red shorts. We need to create or re-establish these colours as our 'brand' image. It's got Manchester City written all over it.

Arsenal had maroon kit the other year to celebrate their centenary year.

If you look at the link below City have mixed it up over the years anyway... so personally unsure what 'traditional colours' are City's. Personally I prefer sky blue top/ white shorts / sky blue socks with maroon trim but others will disagree.

I think as long as the top is sky blue, shorts are either sky blue/ white and the socks are white/sky blue/ navy i'm relatively happy.

They need to sell a new kit every year these days so can't work off the same template and have to try to have a new appeal so people will buy it. I'd love for them to have a shirt like the 09/10 season every year but in reality its not going to happen.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Manchester_City/Manchester_City.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Manches ... r_City.htm</a>

KippaxCitizen said:

Completely agree - particularly with the sky trim on the Navy (i.e. the 1921-51 look), which I think would be just fantastic looking on a modernised kit.

Of course I was never a fan of the "lazer blue" years, but the lazer/navy alternating sock stripes (01-03) were not bad at all. Do that with sky and navy and I think that would look pretty sharp.

JOGAMIGMOG said:
You would never see Arsenal abandoning its white sleeves

Aside from the all-maroon kit Arsenal wore in 2005-06, it's also worth drawing attention to the fact that 2005-06 was the last time Arsenal have worn their trademark red socks.

Yes, other major teams do mess around with their colours.

Falastur said:
JOGAMIGMOG said:

Aside from the all-maroon kit Arsenal wore in 2005-06, it's also worth drawing attention to the fact that 2005-06 was the last time Arsenal have worn their trademark red socks.

Piss poor example using Arsenal. They played for one season in their original colours and then immediately returned to red shirts and white sleeves. They've never been really known for their red socks. The shorts are so synonymous with the red and white shirt that I can only remember one occasion where they've used the red shirts with any other shorts than white in around 25 years.

You're also claiming that in 2005/06, they had both maroon and red socks at the same time. They also wore white shorts that season.

2uqyc95.jpg

I can't say I have ever been keen on the sky blue shorts and Navy socks with white trim doesn't quite do it either.

I thought our 3 kits this year was the best combo for a long time. As long as the socks colour is generally co-ordinated with the shirt's trim colour, and we have white shorts, our Sky Blue home kit will look great.

modern day, to help to release a new kit every season, clubs and manufacturers tend to just use the shorts/socks variation to help "create the illusion" that each kit is different.

thats why we see white shorts/white socks. white shorts/blue socks, blue shorts/blue socks, white shorts/navy socks combinations now, because we cant change the shirt that much. Its just a marketing ploy now. Every club does it pretty much

JOGAMIGMOG said:
KippaxCitizen said:

Absolutely spot on.

citykev28 said:
Falastur said:
JOGAMIGMOG said:

Piss poor example using Arsenal. They played for one season in their original colours and then immediately returned to red shirts and white sleeves. They've never been really known for their red socks. The shorts are so synonymous with the red and white shirt that I can only remember one occasion where they've used the red shirts with any other shorts than white in around 25 years.

You're also claiming that in 2005/06, they had both maroon and red socks at the same time. They also wore white shorts that season.

2uqyc95.jpg

I was addressing the socks issue, I only mentioned Arsenal's sleeves in reference to the fact that someone else got there before me to address that particular thing.

Regarding Arsenal not being known for their red socks, that might be because they haven't used them in 8 years? Personally, while I like the navy blue socks I don't feel like by any means they form part of our "identity". OK, yes, we've used them for more of our history than any other colour, but let's examine that for a minute, shall we? We first used navy blue socks in 1887. We continued to use them until 1951. However, we then abandoned them in that year and didn't bring them back until 1972. In the meantime we won the league, the FA Cup - twice, the League Cup, the Cup Winners Cup and the Charity Shield. In the two years we wore navy blue for, we won only the Charity Shield again. After 1974 we were back to sky blue socks until 1987, when again the navy blue made a comeback, this time for six seasons. They then returned between 1997-2001, and that's the last time we've ever worn them. So since 1951 we've worn them for a total of 12 seasons out of 63, winning a grand total of one trophy (which many don't even consider to be a trophy). Even the play-off final was played wearing a different kit.

This is what I don't get. The navy blue socks are not something associated with success, and they're not something connected with the Golden Generation, except right at the end when Allison was already on the way out. I dare say that barely anyone on this forum can remember back to 1951, when navy blue socks was "the traditional colour" (and I don't mean "no-one was born before then", I mean barely any of us actually remember being a season ticket holder in the 40s). If navy blue was abandoned after the Bell-Lee-Summerbee era then I could understand the demand to bring them back, but heck, when Mercer first came they were already only a fading memory. I dare say that if I were to go into my office and ask any of the older guys who follow football (and aren't City fans) what colour socks City wear, they would answer "white". The younger ones certainly wouldn't answer "navy blue". So it's not like we have a heritage to protect either here.

Besides, it's not like we even have much competition for team identity either. What other teams are there who play in sky blue shirts who we need to compete with? Coventry City? It's already been said, they wear sky blue shorts whereas we wear white. Lazio? They wear sky blue socks more than anything, so white socks would be fine, and besides, are we really competing with them for brand recognition? Uruguay? Please. I simply don't see us as needing to compete with any other team for colour recognition. We're not like the scum, Liverpool and Arsenal, who all have to differentiate themselves as their kit bodies are so similar. We're not even anything like Chelsea's colours. As long as we keep the sky blue shirts (and why on earth would we ever change them) then we already have it made.

Spotted on Twatter tonight;

Boq3J8lCQAAo6qU.jpg

<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/voetbalshirtjes/status/471390495034593280/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/voetbalshirtjes/sta ... 80/photo/1</a>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.