New leaders

You're saying if a team has quality then they don't need leadership? You need both to have a truly special side IMO.
No I agree with you that a team needs leadership, my point is that our squad is awash with leaders. Yes Vin was the embodiment of the fearless captain shouting at his troops, physically intimidating etc but there are many different ways to show leadership.
An old Souness line about his anfield glory days always strikes a chord with me - “we had 11 captains on the field”.

We don’t have any leaders really. We have people who play well and lead in that sense, but actual leaders of men? Not really. KDB is the best we have but he’s far from an ideal captain. I have high hopes for Rodri developing into a captain, but as of right now there is nobody. We look like Arsenal post Vieira/Adams.
Did we look like that 6 games ago when we battered West Ham to win our 15th game on the bounce ?
How soon people forget and simply disregard the magnificent achievements of this group of players and are prepared to throw em under the bus based on two poor games.

Did we look like that 6 games ago when we battered West Ham to win our 15th game on the bounce ?
How soon people forget and simply disregard the magnificent achievements of this group of players and are prepared to throw em under the bus based on two poor games.
14 of those 15 games were with our greatest ever leader amongst our ranks. Since then we’ve dropped 8 points in 8 games. We lack a bit of leadership, 100%.

14 of those 15 games were with our greatest ever leader amongst our ranks. Since then we’ve dropped 8 points in 8 games. We lack a bit of leadership, 100%.
If you worked out average points per game with and without Vin since the start of 17-18 season I’m guessing there’s little difference. It’s a team game.

I know he’s just landed here but I really like the look of Rodri.
Big presence, intelligent and very articulate.
Clearly likes to get stuck in but not daft enough to get himself into trouble with refs.
He is definitely leadership material for me.
Oh and an outstanding player in his own right.

I think that Bernardo will be a great leader in the future, just like KDB, Stones and Laporte, young people who grew up whit veterans....sorry for my english, i m a spanish boy

No I agree with you that a team needs leadership, my point is that our squad is awash with leaders. Yes Vin was the embodiment of the fearless captain shouting at his troops, physically intimidating etc but there are many different ways to show leadership.
An old Souness line about his anfield glory days always strikes a chord with me - “we had 11 captains on the field”.

Well I respectfully disagree. I think we have some amazing players, a few leaders, but certainly not 11 captains.

Sorry I think I posted my reply without finishing it, it’s been a long day.

In terms of the pressing and intensity I think that’s what we should aim for with the next captain, we haven’t got anyone as vocal as the likes of Kompany, so it needs to be someone who can lead by example with the high intensity pressing. That’s why I included KDB, Sterling and Bernardo, I included Laporte as well as he seems to be one of the more vocal, in time I can see Rodri joining that list as well.

I completely agree with those three (Silva, Gundogan and Aguero) not playing together, it just kills the intensity and we end up on the back foot. Against Wolves it was like watching a Pellegrini team with Gundogan and Silva nearly as slow as Toure used to be, meaning Wolves could walk through our midfield and straight onto the back four.

I think until we could all agree what we think the role of the on pitch leader is, we will have a plethora of names thrown in the hat by fans. Personally, I dont see Sterling or Bernardo as leaders (nor Merlin), principally because I dont think they are capable of barking loud enough, but that is one of my criterias as a leader (to gee up all around them) when the going gets tough.

I also believe it needs to be an outfield player and one who has the respect of the players. There is only one at the moment who ticks the boxes for my classification, and that is Kev.

I think until we could all agree what we think the role of the on pitch leader is, we will have a plethora of names thrown in the hat by fans. Personally, I dont see Sterling or Bernardo as leaders (nor Merlin), principally because I dont think they are capable of barking loud enough, but that is one of my criterias as a leader (to gee up all around them) when the going gets tough.

I also believe it needs to be an outfield player and one who has the respect of the players. There is only one at the moment who ticks the boxes for my classification, and that is Kev.

The players decided that Dave should be the captain, maybe because of his legendary achievements here. I also happen to think that Kevin would make for a better captain.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.