new number 2 - Martinez?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phuket Blue said:
notreallyhere said:
Really don't see a young, promising manager like Martinez settling for being a number 2 at this stage in his career. That said, would welcome him at City.

I don't think it will happen, but I don't think it would be a bad move at all for martinez.

What if Martinez had kept Wigan up? Then he would have stayed there right? And then maybe kept them up or even got to lower mid-table for a year or two before leaving ....to join an upper mid-table club looking to break into the top 6.
According to my Spanish friends, Pellegrini will probably stay at City 2-3 years or so, at which time he wants to follow his dream of taking over the Chilean National team job.
So if Roberto Martinez joins City as Pellegrini's number 2 and plays his cards right, he will be Boss at one of the World Football's top Club Teams in 2-3 years time.
I think that could be a tempting proposition!

I think you make a very good point here. The outlook for young managers in the PL is pretty bleak because the top four, and thus the CL, seem a closed shop open to managers from abroad, and that not very often. Moyes is the exception, but most managers in the PL are doomed to a career of making teams "competitive" on a shoestring. Being number 2 at City doesn't look like a demotion from that perspective, especially if he could be number 1 in 3 years time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.