New York City FC Thread (new away kit P245)

It wouldn't. Vieira's gone stale in the EDS. A change would suit all parties.

I know it's not a popular opinion but I honestly think Wilcox is the emerging talent, not Vieira. Vieira has flattered to deceive in the last few seasons. I hope I'm wrong but I think he could be another example of a great player turning into a run of the mill manager.

Personally I think Pat's far more ambitious than that. I'm not sure it'd be any great grounding for him to go and manage in the MLS anyway and i'm sure if we tried to do that he'd have other better options in Europe.

I agree, but from what I've seen of the EDS, Paddy has a long way to go. Will be interesting to see who we go for.

As bizarre as this may sound, I'd be tempted to throw money at Rodgers, after the disappointment of being sacked, maybe he'd come and have a point to prove, winning the MLS Cup would potentially be a huge achievement for him, and put him back on the radar of higher clubs.

Ha. Can't see Brenda going to the MLS just yet. Again he'll have better options in Europe. I think the problem with sending someone out there as a manager is that nobody in Europe is going to give a toss if you win something in the MLS so it's not going to improve your reputation as a manager where it matters to you.

Ha. Can't see Brenda going to the MLS just yet. Again he'll have better options in Europe. I think the problem with sending someone out there as a manager is that nobody in Europe is going to give a toss if you win something in the MLS so it's not going to improve your reputation as a manager where it matters to you.

I'm not so sure mate, I doubt it'd happen, but look at our own Pellegrini, won the league in Chile and it lead to bigger and better things. Of course I'm being slightly fanciful, but it will be interesting to see what happens, if we move for a South American coach, I'd expect NYCFC to fare a lot better, more emphasis on pressing.

I know it's not a popular opinion but I honestly think Wilcox is the emerging talent, not Vieira. Vieira has flattered to deceive in the last few seasons. I hope I'm wrong but I think he could be another example of a great player turning into a run of the mill manager.
I really like Wilcox. Everything seems so precise, clear and in control. The players seem organised, disciplined and hardworking, yet totally free to express themselves.

Yet I always feel a bit confused watching Vieira's teams. It's probably intentional, bigger picture and all that, but I can only be honest as a fan that Wilcox's teams excite me more.

Vieira has only been in charge of the EDS side for a couple of seasons, so how has he gone stale?

MLS is such a unique / unnecessarily complex league structurally that I would say it is near-impossible for a "name" manager from Europe, (or anywhere outside of MLS for that matter) to have an immediate impact on an MLS squad. I thought that CFG hiring Jason Kreis was an excellent move on their end. He had developed a system of playing at his previous club, was working on a limited budget, and knew the league from his time at Real Salt Lake. Real Salt Lake were never an easy team to beat for years, and won the league once. MLS is such a complicated environment you have to have people who inherently know the system. I think he could have gotten more time, but I don't know all the facts.

Being from Seattle, I got to experience watching an expansion club with big money start out in the correct manner. Seattle poached a long-time MLS coach in Sigi Schmid who had won several titles in MLS with different clubs, and is currently the most winning coach in MLS history. Our General Manager publicly acknowledged deferring to Sigi Schmid's experience when it came to identifying transfers because of his vast experience with the league. Sigi knew which players to bring on from the expansion draft (as should Jason Kreis have known as well). The differences I see between Sigi and Jason is that Sigi had experience dealing with bigger name stars, whereas Kreis may not as much at Real Salt Lake, and that Sigi may have had more control selecting his team from the start. Furthermore, Jason Kreis worked with a very good GM at Real Salt Lake, and together they did amazing things on a very small budget (Interestingly, last year Seattle's part owner/GM stepped aside as GM in order to hire the GM from Real Salt Lake who worked with Jason Kreis). I know Claudio Reyna has some MLS experience, but in order to succeed in the league you have to have a whole team pushing in the same direction. There is so much parity in the league, if you don't operate as well run machine, you are simply going to be poor, or ordinary. Teams can win MLS having no, or very few, stars on their team because they have a system, and they implement it well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.