New York City FC

Discussion in 'General football forum' started by SlimShadyRus, 6 Jan 2016.

1. cptaidan88

cptaidan88

2. Vienna_70

Vienna_70

Team supported:
    The Only Team in Manchester!
  3. Pell

Pell

4. Vienna_70

Vienna_70

Team supported:
    The Only Team in Manchester!
    Well, they are owned (at least partly) by an English football club.

5. SebastianBlue

SebastianBlue

There have been some serious missteps from club and CFG leadership when it comes to NYCFC, but this likely beats them all.

This is the equivalent of Manchester City announcing that we will be playing our home tie against Real Madrid at Old Trafford.

Just read the responses to get a sense of how this is playing with the fans and especially the season ticket holders who the club CEO apparently told *yesterday* the club wouldn’t be playing the game at Red Bull Arena.

6. kippax4ever

kippax4ever

Fk me their PR dept is fking worst than ours
    But respect to the fans for standing up.

7. SebastianBlue

SebastianBlue

My favourite response thus far:

ManCityX and citizen_maine like this.
  8. SebastianBlue

SebastianBlue

And this article has just been released indicating NYCFC may finally be set to build their own stadium (they’ve been playing primarily at Yankee Stadium (baseball pitch) and occasionally other baseball pitches).

Most of the fans, after several false dawns over the last seven years, are skeptical, and many are outright cynical, believing the timing of this article is merely to distract from the RBNY debacle (ironically, Rag media tactics).

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/sports/soccer/nycfc-stadium-bronx-mls.html

Itd likes this.
  9. Mad Eyed Screamer

Mad Eyed Screamer

Given the nature of the game they really dont have a suitable venue any nearer.. .
    But the rags used Maine Road for European games when they didnt have floodlights at The Swamp....

That aside though, the Rag Bulls stadium is amongst the best i have been to in the US, along with Orlando City's ground, both purpose built for 'soccer" and they got it right.

10. SebastianBlue

SebastianBlue

Not sure the Rags should be used as examples of what to do... ;-)

The club did apparently attempt to use the Hofstra pitch (which they’ve used in the past) as a last minute attempt to avoid this situation but CONCACAF rejected it.

Red Bull Arena is a very nice stadium. But, as is the case for many stadia in the US, it is in a **** location, which many Red Bulls fans even admit (though, they’ll never accept the “you don’t even play in NY” factual statement). Still better than playing on a baseball pitch of course, especially when it’s a different one for regular season and playoff matches.

But I can completely understand the anger from the fans in this case, regardless. I’ve gone on away days with them and the topic of the lack of a football stadium, regardless of the difficulties securing one in NYC, comes up often. It obviously doesn’t help that rival supporters are consistently taking the piss, as well, and the club have given them plenty of false dawns.

It’s something that has contributed to a steady decline in attendance since their inaugural season — it’s now down around 25% and falling. They really need to break ground on the new stadium to stabilise things.

Mad Eyed Screamer likes this.