New York Times - Raheem Sterling article

I think he’s missing the point about the media portrayal of him.

He’s an unfortunate by-target of the purposeful driven media agenda against City, namely because he left a media darling to come to the evil club that is us.

There was no racial media targeting of him at Liverpool, nor is there any of that aimed at Marcus Rashford who is at another media darling. Look back over the years at the way the media hold players like Jermaine Defoe, Thierry Henry, Rio Ferdinand...

The British sports media is a disgrace, but I don’t think it’s racist.

Individual idiots around the country like that Chelsea fan and that United fan, they’re another issue.

But the media are so anti-City and he’s the one they love to make the target as the player who [how fucking dare he!] left Liverpool and signed for Mansour’s Mercenaries.

I’m sure Razza would settle for ANOTHER Premier League Title over POTY everyday.

Van Dick shouldn’t even be considered. Some of his hoofball clearances are just panic.

I think he’s missing the point about the media portrayal of him.

He’s an unfortunate by-target of the purposeful driven media agenda against City, namely because he left a media darling to come to the evil club that is us.

There was no racial media targeting of him at Liverpool, nor is there any of that aimed at Marcus Rashford who is at another media darling. Look back over the years at the way the media hold players like Jermaine Defoe, Thierry Henry, Rio Ferdinand...

The British sports media is a disgrace, but I don’t think it’s racist.

Individual idiots around the country like that Chelsea fan and that United fan, they’re another issue.

But the media are so anti-City and he’s the one they love to make the target as the player who [how fucking dare he!] left Liverpool and signed for Mansour’s Mercenaries.

I partly agree but the problem with the press is they go incredibly over the top and do cross the boundary into racism - and when challenged they don’t have a clue what they have done. They put a different angle on stories involving white and black players - simply because they want to praise say Harry Kane and put the boot into Sterling - they end up with a discriminatory angle - probably by default.

Couldn't find this posted, but another excellent article by Rory Smith in NY Times.
This time about Raheem.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/11/sports/raheem-sterling-has-had-enough.html
Thanks for posting that. An excellent read that really portrays Raheem in a very positive light. I really think this lad could become a world superstar and I'm not just talking about fame in football. He has a great deal of sense to talk about racial equality and increasingly he is using his voice in a very positive way.

I partly agree but the problem with the press is they go incredibly over the top and do cross the boundary into racism - and when challenged they don’t have a clue what they have done. They put a different angle on stories involving white and black players - simply because they want to praise say Harry Kane and put the boot into Sterling - they end up with a discriminatory angle - probably by default.

I think this is right.

If Gerrard had left Liverpool for Chelsea, or Rooney left United for City, they would have been hammered by the press for leaving a Royal Club and joining an upstart one.

But I don’t think they would get tarnished with the “bling” tag. Sterling has been painted as flashy and blingy, but when you read the article and hear what others say about him, that perception couldn’t be further from the truth.

Sterling getting hammered for leaving Liverpool for City is obvious - it would happen to any player making that move.

But the reasons for him being portrayed as flash and blingy is probably rather more complicated.

If Rooney had come to us back when he put in that transfer request I think the media would have hammered him with all the prostitute stuff, the hair transplant, his weight etc.

I think this is right.

If Gerrard had left Liverpool for Chelsea, or Rooney left United for City, they would have been hammered by the press for leaving a Royal Club and joining an upstart one.

But I don’t think they would get tarnished with the “bling” tag. Sterling has been painted as flashy and blingy, but when you read the article and hear what others say about him, that perception couldn’t be further from the truth.

Sterling getting hammered for leaving Liverpool for City is obvious - it would happen to any player making that move.

But the reasons for him being portrayed as flash and blingy is probably rather more complicated.

Only if the player was any good! The thing that rankles and chokes many a Dipper fan is that Raheem Sterling is a much better player now than he was at Anfield!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.