Newcastle (A) | Wed 27th Sept | EFL Cup | Post Match Thread

Well I don't really like to lose but not too arsed to be honest. Obviously would much prefer a win.

Anyway the team Pep put out obviously was more "If we win, great, but I'm not desperate to win it at the expense of it being detrimental to the squad"

And that should put the bed the shite pundits speak about our second team would win things and we have this huge squad full of Incredible players.

The commentators are talking like it's some incredible accomplishment that Newcastle won and saying no Newcastle fan would have expected it?...why not? I half expected it when I seen the team we put. they're talking like we had a full strength team out.

A team thrown together to play in the cup.

No injuries is a positive. Key players rested for the weekend and we go again.

Have to admit, seeing a league cup team with Gomez and Phillips in gave me the shivers, and that second half performance was lighter shades of Southampton last year.

We need to work out how we cover for Rodri because there wasn’t any answers in that tonight.
Yet Alvarez and Grealish were our worst performers tonight.

Thought we were good first half without being overly dangerous but when they upped the intensity and physicality at the start of the 2nd half, we didn't look to have the desire to match them. Poor 2nd half really all round and awful commentary.

Without Haaland, we really lacked a focal point in attack and there was nobody really to stretch their defence or present a threat in the middle. Bobb was very good, first half especially, and we got some minutes into Grealish and Kovacic whilst giving much of the first team a bit of a rest.

I never like losing but probably one of the least important games we'll have this season. It's not a competition that we were ever likely to win this season due to other commitments at the QF stage, so not overly bothered. Bigger fish to fry.

Going out so early probably isn’t the worst thing in the world, given other priorities. But there’s no dressing up the second half performance - disappointing that we wilted so badly in the face of a bit of pressure. All the more so as we played some great stuff first half.
Looked like we lacked a bit of leadership (no surprise, perhaps, when all five ‘captains’ are missing). And we obviously lacked any kind of creative threat - could have added on 60 minutes at the end and I doubt we would have created a chance.
Yes they came out hungry and we wilted which was disappointing. Certain senior players were disappointing in that second half for me allowing it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.